View Full Version : WebIS - broken registration system?

terrypin
09-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Have others had the same bad experiences of WebIS registration as I'm currently having please?

In brief, I followed all the requested procedures, but still have no registration code. I paid for Pocket Informant via Handango and received a message saying I'd get an e-mail within seconds with my registration code, as per this screenshot from http://www.pocketinformant.com/register.asp
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/PPC-Screenshots/PI-registration.gif

Some 14 hours later, and despite various chaser e-mails, I'm still waiting.

To add insult to injury, when I tried the 'Resend' link, to get the authorisation sent again, I got a message saying my e-mail ID was not recognised. (But note that hadn't prevented my Visa being debited!)

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Jereboam
09-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi Terry,

I have exactly the same issue. I bought PI from Handango last night, and have experienced exactly what you describe. I haven't had the chance to fire off any emails, but I am less than pleased.

Let me know if you get any meaningful replies from them if you could.

Whereabouts in Sussex? I used to spend a lot of time down there with some good friends.

J

dh
09-05-2003, 11:54 AM
I've run into the problem of Handango not recognizing my account, maybe the issue here is with their system?

In my experience with them, WebIS have always offered excellent support so I'm sure they will sort it out for you. Did you contact their tech support or post about this on their forums?

I think you have at least 14 days before you need to use the registration code so you should be OK.

Pocket Informant is my favorite PPC app, I hope you enjoy using it.

terrypin
09-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks both. It's reassuring to know that I haven't been singled out <g>

Yes, I've wriiten 3 emails so far, and completed a post via web page to Support. That got the moronic reply:

"Yes, I do think you're missing the obvious. From within PI, click the
round PI icon on the menu bar. Towards the top of the list, there is
an option called registration. Click that and enter your reg code."

This, despite my complaint being that I hadn't RECEIVED a registration code! Plainly didn't even do me the courtesy of reading my query. Given your positive experience, for the moment I'll assume that was a one-off or a trainee or whatever.

The time zone difference probably explains why all is quiet so far. But I'm going to be very miffed if another midnight goes by and I'm not a registered user.

Finally, changing tack, could someone tell me whether it is possible to combine tasks with apointments in a PI view please? So far I see no way to achieve. Presumably it's not a trial version limitation?

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).
Jereboam: I'm just N. of East Grinstead, Baldwins Hill, near woods.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

iant54
09-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Terry,

On the toolbar at the bottom, there's a Calendar icon with a little black triangle above it (fifth icon from the left). Click on that, then on Tasks. On the sub-menu, click on whichever view you want to see your tasks in.

Jereboam
09-05-2003, 02:29 PM
Terry - my friends lived between Uckfield and Haywards Heath, but we used to do the pubs all over that area...nice part of the country, with a proper village atmosphere going on, unlike other parts of the country... :D

I also still have nothing coming through. Handango must have recognised my account, because I redeemed points to buy it and also correctly gained more points with this purchase, as well as receiving all the proper confirmations etc...I will try contacting WebIS directly I think...as has been said they seem a pretty responsive bunch.

J

Jereboam
09-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Well...just now got my code through by email.

Obviously some hiccup in the system...

Hopefully you'll have had yours too, Terry.

J

terrypin
09-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Yes, happy to say I'm registered now thanks! Turned out to be a Handango server problem.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

griph
09-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Yes, happy to say I'm registered now thanks! Turned out to be a Handango server problem.

I'm surprised that you didn't email Webis directly if you thought there was a problem - their support is excellent - they also have a support Forum like PPC Thoughts - I personally have never had a problem and dont believe the majority have either - were you expecting an immediate response? The internet isn't always so (as you have now found out). As PI is fully functional unregistered, unless you had waited until it timed out you had plenty of time to get a registration code, therefore allowing for delays.

Patience is a virtue - and so often lacking these days! ;-)

Having been brought up in an era when communication was by snail mail and phone only, I can appreciate the benefits of the communications options now available, rather than always expecting an immediate response to everything I do. We are truly spoilt in the 21st Century. :-)

dh
09-06-2003, 01:35 PM

I'm surprised that you didn't email Webis directly if you thought there was a problem - their support is excellent - they also have a support Forum like PPC Thoughts - I personally have never had a problem and dont believe the majority have either - were you expecting an immediate response? The internet isn't always so (as you have now found out). As PI is fully functional unregistered, unless you had waited until it timed out you had plenty of time to get a registration code, therefore allowing for delays.

Patience is a virtue - and so often lacking these days! ;-)

Having been brought up in an era when communication was by snail mail and phone only, I can appreciate the benefits of the communications options now available, rather than always expecting an immediate response to everything I do. We are truly spoilt in the 21st Century. :-)

I grew up in the period where sending a fax was the ultimate in high tech. Our company didn't have their own fax machine so we had to use the one at the post office. Telex was for quick communications.

But I understand how people feel, we do want things right away.

When I bought Textmaker, I ordered it with my credit card on their site and had to wait three days to get a link to download it sent to me. Seemed like three weeks!

Jereboam
09-07-2003, 01:37 AM
It isn't that we weren't prepared to wait guys - but the WebIS registration page specifically states "immediately" and "within minutes" - so that is what we expected and when it didn't happen as so implicitly described, we became worried, and it seems Terry got some fairly useless (possibly insulting!) responses from Handango support which furthered our collective anxiety. If we have grown to expect instant results, that is only because that has been so often what has been promised. Don't accuse us of lacking patience!! ;)

If they'd said "you'll get your code sometime within the next three days" then we would have waited patiently for three days, and then started bitching... ;)

J

griph
09-07-2003, 02:01 AM
If they'd said "you'll get your code sometime within the next three days" then we would have waited patiently for three days, and then started bitching... ;)

Fair enough - and I am sure that often it is the case that Immediate is achieved, but things do go wrong for a wide range or reasons including delays in communications and computer glitches. It would have been better to have addressed your concerns to Webis and Handango who could help, rather than a PPCT Forum. It's a bit like ringing up the Automobile Association when a dealer is a bit late in delivering a new car. :wink:

Jereboam
09-07-2003, 04:59 AM
I didn't address my concerns here, but when I saw that Terry had experienced the exact same thing I replied to his post.

His own post was only after waiting fourteen hours and having already chased up Handango who offered him quite frankly moronic replies.

And, if I had not received my code when I did, as I said...

...I will try contacting WebIS directly I think...

...and my next post was to say that I had been mailed my code, so therefore there was no need to head for the WebIS forums.

So you seem to think I was wrong to come here and post about this? What else are these forums for, if not to gain feedback and assistance from this community?

Your analogy is faintly offensive, but nevermind. 8) I think you have just missed the point, so I'll let you off... :wink:

J