View Full Version : noob with program installation help.

Mindriot
09-05-2003, 06:18 AM
First of all I'm totally green when it comes to the Pocket PC. I just got a iPaq 1940 4 days ago. My problem is with installing some applications I've downloaded.
Most of the installations have failed because of one reason .

Can't find Active sync on this desktop computer

Even thought it's right there in front of me running on my desktop.

I've seen that some apps need to be installed from the PPC itself but I have tried that and to no avail. If anyone can point me to some FAQ with some noob help, that would be great my google searches have come up dry with help in this area.

I'm sure it's something stupid I'm doing on my end.

I open the flood gates to sarcastic replies now! :mrgreen:

David Prahl
09-05-2003, 02:33 PM
I open the flood gates to sarcastic replies now! :mrgreen:

Don't worry, we're pretty forgiving when it comes to newbies. Welcome to the world of the Pocket PC! :)

Did you follow the instructions that came with your 1940? There's a certain order that the cradle, software, and device have to be hooked up in, but I can't remember it.

Did you use the copy of ActiveStink (I mean...Sync) that came with the device? It's best to use the version they send you.

With the software running in the system tray (should be a little gray circle), seat the 1940 in the cradle/cable. ActiveSync should come up and ask you if you want a Partnership or Guest account. Select Partnership if you have Outlook installed.

Now run the installer for the software. It should launch the Pocket PC "Add/Remove Programs" box after a while. Follow the instuctions!

If you're looking for some fun games or "essential" apps, search the forums using the button on the top right of the page.

If all else fails, re-install and re-boot! :mrgreen: