View Full Version : Revert to PPC 2002 for Dell Axim

bogey
09-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know a way to revert the Dell ROM image from 2003 to 2002. I have the ROM image R59756 from the Dell site and when I try to downgrade it will simply hang at the beginning as if it sees the newer ROM already on the device.

The reason behind this is for an application we developed that needs time to be reconfigured to run on 2003 and in the mean time devices need to ship to customers. The response from Dell is that it can't be done....

AntwanS
09-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Did you not made a backup from your previous version (PPC2002) before you started the upgrade? If so, you can go back with the 'restore rom' option that you can run from the WM2003 CD. I made the mistake not to change my regional settings from Dutch to US English before the upgrade, so I was not able to go back...., nice move from Dell. So I found another Dell Axim Adv. user who was so nice to give me his copy from his backup image which was made in US English. If you don't have a backup then the best thing is to find somebody with the same Dell model to let him/her borrow his/her rom image file from PPC2002. Then you have to change the UUID (unique id from your Dell Axim) back into the one that's on your own Dell Axim. You use a Hex Editor for that...

Good luck. :D

bogey
09-05-2003, 12:24 PM
The problem is not that I didn't back-up. These devices never had 2002 installed. They are native 2003 ROM version A04 and I want to install 2002.

M@
09-06-2003, 11:33 PM
Lets just swap! hehe!

mc_03
09-07-2003, 02:48 AM
The A03 update from Dell's site will not work if you have A04 on your axim or higher. The only way you CAN downgrade is by getting a backup file of a 2002 ROM and restoring it to your axim with the backup/restore feature of the A03 installer.

Edit: Or you could try this, but I am not sure if it will work. Rename the ROM image in the A03 update folder to a ".ris" file, instead of its current extension. In the A05 install program, the ROM image was just a renamed .ris. Maybe this is the case for the A03 installer too. Then use the restore feature to restore the ".ris" to your axim. This might actually work.