View Full Version : iPAQ 5455 questions

Mr_Skelington
09-03-2003, 12:53 AM
My new iPAQ 5455 is coming tomorrow, and I was just wondering, for those who already have one, what should I know? Good accesories? For example I know to download the latest ROM update and stuff. But I also know that there had been a lot of quantum weirdness on this unit, seeing how HP pretty much replaced it with the 5555. I also heard early on about big time problems (random hard reset, WiFi Woes, etc.), are they fixed in this latest ROM update?

BTW: SERIOUS upgrade from my trusty Palm Vx (which I hold sacred), I hope.

BT other W: What is up with the 5150? It seems really crappy; it is barely even mentioned on the HP website, no stores have it, I did not even know it existed until yesterday. It just seems like a crappified version of the 545x/555x. The Tale of the Lost Pocket PC...

Mona13
09-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Since I upgraded to the latest ROM, I haven't had a single spontaneous hard reset. It works smoothly and quickly. I really like the 5450 now. Since it has both bluetooth and 802.11b, I'm not even tempted to get a 5555 (well maybe slightly) but not enough to give up those two features.

I have a 512 SD card and I don't use my CF sleeve anymore. I have a couple of extra batteries, but no adapter for the standup charger. I have an extra cradle and that's it. Slim Vaja case and it meets all of my needs.

Oh, and I buy tons of e-books.

Mona

I forgot to mention that it linked great with my T68i and T-Mobile via bluetooth (but I just changed to Sprint) and I use it at home all around the house via WLAN.

A high quality screen protector is essential for me. I currently have BoxWave, but I switch between the WriteShield and Clear Touch. I really like both of those. At first it was hard to pay the high $, but worth every penny. The first BoxWave was too small, but they replaced it immediately and I have used it now for several months. I wouldn't even start using one without a good screen protector.

Mr_Skelington
09-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Wow, thanks man. Will do.

jimski
09-03-2003, 05:51 AM
As the earlier post noted, since the latest ROM update (really it was the earlier battery updated which is included in the latest ROM that did it for me) I have had no problems :D at all.

Bluethooth works with my T68i every time and I have no problems connecting to the WiFi network at work and at home. No hard resets, no lost data and (thankfully, at least recently) no Active Sync problems.

I have three spare batteries and an external charger. Before the batteries became available (it took nearly 5 months) I constantly worried about running out of power, so things like WiFi were used sparingly. No I don't worry about anything and just flip in another battery when I get down around 20% or so.

Although the 5550 sparked my interest with the 128MB RAM and the claimed increased speed of WM2003, I may just wait to see what the 4000 series looks like. Hopefully, HP will just get it over with and do the right thing; 2200 form factor, 2 expansion slots, 128MB RAM, Bluetooth & WiFi.

But I am sure they will leave something out and make me wait a little longer. As long as I have my 5450 though, I will be patient.