View Full Version : Cannot install BT stack in Win 2000

spog
09-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Hello,

I'm new to all this Bluetooth malarky and I've just bought a Billionton USB dongle. However, when I try to install the software, it just sits there.

I'm running windows 2000 with all the latest patches/service packs.

The installation starts off fine, but when I get to the 'registering bluetooth services', it just sits there (I left it for over an hour).

Killing the program and rebooting loads up the BT icon in the systray, however I get an error 'unable to start the bluetooth stack service' and BT doesn't work. The dongle appears to be installed correctly. I've tried the supplied installation software (1.3.2.7). I've also downloaded the anycom installation program (same version - probably the same software) and got the exact same problem.

Help!!!

Thanks

spog

freitasm
09-01-2003, 08:41 PM
It doesn't sound like a Bluetooth problem, but rather a Windows 2000 problem. I've seen users that couldn't install MS Office 2000 on their machines (MS Installer would have an error). I had this with one machine at home where I couldn't install Palm Desktop.

Are you running with a user with Administrator rights? This is absolutely required to install drivers.

spog
09-01-2003, 09:37 PM
It doesn't sound like a Bluetooth problem, but rather a Windows 2000 problem. I've seen users that couldn't install MS Office 2000 on their machines (MS Installer would have an error). I had this with one machine at home where I couldn't install Palm Desktop.

Are you running with a user with Administrator rights? This is absolutely required to install drivers.

Yup, I'm logged in as admin.

I know what you mean about 2000 having install problems - but this is a fairly recent reinstallation of 2000 and so shouldn't be too hosed. I've unloaded every other background program but it just doesn't want to work.

spog

Anne
09-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Hi, I have the exact same problem in Win2k.

Were you able to fix the problem? Believe me, I've tried installing and reinstalling more than 10 different files obtained from the net!

Regards
AT :roll:

seidler
09-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Hmm. Just a random guess, but try this:

right-click on "My Computer", Properties, Hardware, Driver Signing, select "Ignore".
Try to install.
If it works, set the settings back to "Warn".

HTH,

Stefan