View Full Version : What aspect of using your PPC annoys you the most?

bazza
08-30-2003, 04:20 AM
What aspect of using your PPC annoys you the most?

For me it is the following:

Battery power
Speed & Memory restrictions.
Connectivity

It seems that whenever a new model is released I have to weigh-up the expense of upgrading vs the benefits of improvements in the above areas!! I must admit, however, the HP 5550 was worth the price - but for how long (till something better comes along)?

Any thoughts?

:morning:

Sven Johannsen
08-30-2003, 05:18 AM
ActiveSync

spursdude
08-30-2003, 05:22 AM
Battery life is first, and then screen/digitizer - the screen is fairly dim and hard to see, and the digitizer is inaccurate.

dean_shan
08-30-2003, 06:45 AM
I'd say battery. When you start using the wifi you start to drain fast.

madbart
08-30-2003, 07:39 AM
The battery especially when using WiFi.

Anthony Caruana
08-30-2003, 07:52 AM
I'm pretty tolerant but the one thing that really annoys me is that transcriber is just not quite good enough. It works pretty well but even with my pretty neat writing it still makes too many mistakes.

Thorsten
08-31-2003, 09:19 AM
Battery life, by far. I would hate to run out of battery power and being locked out of my iPAQ. It never happened to me, though, but the thought of it in the back of my mind is driving me nuts.
Number two on my list would be input. I have tried everything a ailable. With the exeption of aan external keyboard, all methods of text input have their problems. I'm currently trying out SPB's fullscreen keyboard. I hope I'm getting faster once I have more practice.

petvas
08-31-2003, 08:03 PM
Three things bother me:
- Display Resolution. I would love to have 640x480
- Battery Life with WiFi. I would love to get 10 hours battery life using WiFi
- A Pocket Office Suite (a complete one)

dh
08-31-2003, 09:27 PM
- A Pocket Office Suite (a complete one)

If you don't mind digging really deeply in your pocket, Softmaker will have one before too long.

Other than short battery life with WiFi, my next biggest peeve is having to constantly swap my CF and WiFi cards. I will solve the problem in due course by buying a PPC with built in WiFi. Since I would only buy a two slot device, I currently have a choice of only one, the e750, which I don't really want.

Chris Pi
09-01-2003, 12:40 AM
Like every one else I wish I had more battery longevity.

However, today my complaint is that Pocket Internet Explorer has trouble with certain web pages. After posting on a hardware forum with my Ipaq today pie was not working at all. It didn't like somethinig about that forum.

Stephen Beesley
09-03-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty tolerant but the one thing that really annoys me is that transcriber is just not quite good enough. It works pretty well but even with my pretty neat writing it still makes too many mistakes.

I am with you on that! As I just said in another thread I just do not understand why transcriber (and Calligrapher even) have worse HWR results than the HWR used in the now ancient Newton. I mean to say Calligrapher is even based on the Cursive part of the Newton HWR (developed by paragraph). In particular it irks me that it does not perform the recognition process until you stop writing rather than "on the fly" as in the Newton - and even then the results are not as good.

One of the things that I use (or at least aspire to using :D ) any PDA I own for is note taking. So far, although I have stuck with it, the PPC has not lived up to expectations.

Goldtee

ux4484
09-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Since I use the character recognizer, I (NOW) don't really see much differance from using Graffiti, I can easily switch back from my Axim to Visor with little trouble (Just think: Caps-Visor lowercase-Axim).

my main beef would still be Activesync, though (knock on wood) I've been good for the last two months (see a pattern....PPC works good....I'm not here much :D). second to (pain-in-the-)-AS would have to be PIM speed, which is why I use the built in......anything slower than that is just intolerable.
I don't love pocket outlook.....but I have learned to live with it (in exchange for other better things).

I had a major beef with Pocket excel and word, but of late I've worked around the reformatting thing in Word with little problems. Though Pocket excel is still (IMO) slow to open large spreadsheets, it is much easier/faster to navigate (once a sheet is open) than sheet-to-go is on my Visor.

Other than ereadering (iSilo), file exploring (Advanced explorer), and web browsing (ftxp browser), I've really been trying to use what is on/with the PPC (and accessories) already and just live with it. Only when something clearly seems clunky do I now go looking for some other app to do the work.
Bottom line.....I've lowered my expectations......which is fine for a (on sale) sub-$300 PDA. But if I'd payed 400 to 600 shekels(as many have), I'd be pretty honked off for most ANY PDA on the market right now Palm or PPC (at Palm for not multitasking, and at PPC for AS and slow PIM).

Anthony Caruana
09-03-2003, 02:56 PM
my next biggest peeve is having to constantly swap my CF and WiFi cards. I will solve the problem in due course by buying a PPC with built in WiFi. Since I would only buy a two slot device, I currently have a choice of only one, the e750, which I don't really want.

I'm finding that 22I0 with CF and SD works nicely. I keep my SD slot filled with memory and use the CF for i/o devices like my Socket Wifi card and Veo Pocket Traveler camera. I have found this a better solution for me than the far pricier 5500 series ipaq

Of course, this would mean investing in SD. The only time I use Cf memory in my iPaq is when I use it to view photos from my camera

ntractv
09-03-2003, 03:41 PM
#1. PIE load time

disconnected
09-03-2003, 05:05 PM
The fact that browsing with my new iPAQ 5555/Supplynet cable/Sprint 1xrtt phone is considerably slower (and less readable) than browsing THREE YEARS AGO with my iPAQ 3630/Supplynet cable/old Sprint phone/Bluekite compression! (And still no Sprint bluetooth phone after all this time).

Lesser irritations -- compared to iPAQ 3975, the 5555 has lower volume, less screen sensitivity, shorter battery life, and flakier bluetooth (in Mapopolis it takes an extra step to turn on bluetooth, and bluetooth has to be turned off before closing the app or turning off the iPAQ, or it hangs).

I try to convince myself that its two steps forward and one back, and not the other way around.

Kumori
09-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Load time in PIE is slow. I can live with the pages being reformatted funny, but having to wait for PIE to figure out how to format is is painful.

I also have trouble using Outlook and my IMAP mail server, but that may just be me :)

Barron

Michel
09-04-2003, 09:10 AM
...would have to be PIM speed, which is why I use the built in......anything slower than that is just intolerable.

...PPC for AS and slow PIM.
As an ex-PPC user, that was the problem for me; I tried both AF and PI, and they were both unacceptably slow (PI more so than AF). And because I need a weekly view where you can read the entries without having to tap each appointment, the built in PIM won't work.

This was the primary reason for me selling my Axim Advanced: when I need to look up a contact quickly while speaking on the phone it simply isn't acceptable to have to watch the screen redraw bit by bit, or to wait a second or two for opening the dialog that sets the start and end time.
To me, PIM is the primary function of a PDA so these operations need to be instant.

shark-e
09-04-2003, 09:16 AM
My pet peeves are battery life...I spend my time fixated by my battery monitor (I know I need to get a life!) and Activsync: it just doesn't do the job.

JustinGTP
09-04-2003, 11:53 PM
You know what pisses the hell out of me? Whenever I handwrite an "h", it always comes out as "n" without putting a ridiculously HUGE line on the h!

errr. :idontthinkso:

-Justin.

SandersP
09-04-2003, 11:58 PM
I am with you on that! As I just said in another thread I just do not understand why transcriber (and Calligrapher even) have worse HWR results than the HWR used in the now ancient Newton. I mean to say Calligrapher is even based on the Cursive part of the Newton HWR (developed by paragraph). In particular it irks me that it does not perform the recognition process until you stop writing rather than "on the fly" as in the Newton - and even then the results are not as good.

I think it has something to do with 'trainability'. The PPC one doesn't need too much training to immediately become usefull.

easylife
09-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Well, my pet peeve is that it's not very reliable. Today I typed something on my laptop, saved it as Pocket Word on the SD card (built-in slot) and put it on my PPC in hopes of printing it via IR. Well, PrintPocketCE only recognizes stuff in the 'My Documents' folder... :roll: Anyways, when I tried to copy the file it hung the device. I tried several times to copy the file, but no success. As such, I missed the small window in which I had time to print the file... :roll: Oh well... :(