View Full Version : Sandisk WIFI SDIO Card

sting0r
08-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Hi All, I order my sdio card yesterday from thenerds.com and it looks like it will arrive this afternoon at my door!!!!! Finanly the long wait is over. I will post my thoughts a little bit later today!!!!

Yeah!

boldbidder
08-29-2003, 07:34 PM
Great news!!! I've been eargerly anticipating this also, however I'm going to wait for the first batch of reviews before I take the plunge. Let us know what you think.

sting0r
08-29-2003, 09:49 PM
Well, I just got it an hour ago and set it up. Works great. Only cost me $92 plus $10 shipping. I picked UPS ground, but since they shipped from PA it arrived in NY today!!!

Installation was a breeze, just poped in the mini cd and installed the WM2003 drivers.

Speed seems fine and everything. The only thing I don't like and it actually has nothing to do with socket is the WM2003 connection manager. I wish things were a little bit more transparent like they are on a pc. I had to go into the connection manager and muck around with the setting so something like internet explore or pocket outlook mail. I normally have it setup so I can click and connect to my bluetooth phone. All and all I am happy though. I think my 1945 is not the smallest wifi enabled PDA!!!!

CorysWorld
08-30-2003, 05:25 AM
Any pics?? How far does it stick out?

--
Cory

Anthony Caruana
08-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Here's a review of this card with pictures

http://www.davespda.com/mobile/reviews/sdsdiowifi.htm

sting0r
08-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Any pics?? How far does it stick out?

--
Cory

It is about the size of two normal memory cards, so it looks like it sticks out a little bit less then one memory card in size. That may sound bad, but it's really not that bad at all. I just wouldn't leave it in while you are traveling around. The only thing I wish I could get my hands on it some kinda plastic case for the card - like they make for memory.

In first usage, battery life doesn't seem that bad at all also. It looks like I can get about 2 hours of wifi in.

PoweriPaq
08-31-2003, 06:56 AM
It is about the size of two normal memory cards, so it looks like it sticks out a little bit less then one memory card in size. That may sound bad, but it's really not that bad at all. I just wouldn't leave it in while you are traveling around. The only thing I wish I could get my hands on it some kinda plastic case for the card - like they make for memory.

In first usage, battery life doesn't seem that bad at all also. It looks like I can get about 2 hours of wifi in.

I'm curious, could I have a digi picture of that thing sticking out of the ipaq? I'm curious from a real person perspective. Thanks.

doubleu
08-31-2003, 04:27 PM
ok, after reading this I can't wait any longer! I ordered one standard overnight from chumbo, so hopefully it'll be here Wednesday! (why did I pick a holiday weekend to do this, hehe)

sting0r
08-31-2003, 05:19 PM
What's chumbo, depending on where you live if you order from thenerds.net like I did you may get it next day for free:)

ok, after reading this I can't wait any longer! I ordered one standard overnight from chumbo, so hopefully it'll be here Wednesday! (why did I pick a holiday weekend to do this, hehe)

RichardL890
09-01-2003, 12:17 AM
Hmm Sandisk.

I shall expect to see 40% of their cards breaking in 6 months, give or take a few :)

sting0r
09-01-2003, 02:19 AM
I hope mine shant be one of those 40% :P

Hmm Sandisk.

I shall expect to see 40% of their cards breaking in 6 months, give or take a few :)

doubleu
09-02-2003, 12:03 AM
sting0r, i have a couple questions. What kind of range are you getting? I'm curious if it's comparable to a CF card.

Is this the same as the Socket SD Wi-Fi card on the inside? What drivers are you using? Obviously I'm assuming the drivers that come with it, but I'm curious if it's Ministumbler or PocketWarrior compatible.

dlauri
09-03-2003, 05:27 PM
I got my card yesterday, and it's working great now.

I did have a problem when I first got it. It worked for a minute or so but then I lost access, couldn't ping anything. I finally tried turning off the automatic power saving, and that fixed the problem. I have a Linksys router -- don't know if the conflict was because of that.

The signal strength seems to be as good as I get on the Linksys card in my notebook.

I do find myself wanting a better place to store the card when I'm not using it. I have a 256MB SD card that I keep books and other things on, and I plan on keeping it in my iPaq by default since it doesn't stick out. However, I don't have a convenient place to keep the WiFi card.

sting0r
09-03-2003, 05:45 PM
I haven't a chance to try out what you are asking, I hope to tonight though.

I also wish I had a better to store it, what I am doing now is keeping it in a small plastic baggy and wrapping it up. Then I slide it into the back of my case (the one from handheldplanet.net) There has got to be a better way.

sting0r, i have a couple questions. What kind of range are you getting? I'm curious if it's comparable to a CF card.

Is this the same as the Socket SD Wi-Fi card on the inside? What drivers are you using? Obviously I'm assuming the drivers that come with it, but I'm curious if it's Ministumbler or PocketWarrior compatible.

doubleu
09-03-2003, 07:17 PM
well, i got the card about 3 hours ago and can't stop playing with it and my thumbpad! I can get a signal here in the office farther away than i can get with an SMC 2632 v.1 pcmcia card in a laptop, so that's pretty cool. It took a little while to get the utility configured to work with out WLAN, but once I completed that it's been all good.

The utility has the look and feel of the interstil generic pocket pc drivers, so I'm curious if it's just a variant of that. Obviously Ministumbler and PocketWarrior dont detect the card, so I guess I won't be doing any WarWalking with it for now.

here is my setup: http://doubleu.n3.net/dsc01798.jpg

If I can answer any questions or provide any feedback, I'd be happy to do so

-W