View Full Version : Making a PC dial-up via bluetooth with PPC?

wardseward
08-29-2003, 03:07 AM
ok, here is what l would like to accomplish.

I have a ipaq 2210 and am getting a bluetooth dongle. Once I get it set-up to connect to my PC (running W2K Pro), l want to be able to make my PC dail-up to the internet from my bluetooth connected ipaq ... as well as disconnect it. This way I can surf the net or check email from upstairs in my house without having to run down to my office where my PC lives.

The only way I can currently think of is to do this is to use vnc to get to the PC and use the usual dail-up methods.

Does anyone know of a better way to accomplish this?

This is all only temporary until I can get cable modem. :)

Thanks for any help.

nic
08-29-2003, 07:45 PM
actually it is pretty simple given that your bluetooth usb adapter has the correct bluetooth profiles. Some bluetooth adapters say they support "network access" or "lan" but don't support it in the way your iPaq supports it, so it will never work. I had to return a bluetooth adapter (ambercom or something) to best buy after fighting with it for 2 days.

I use a D-Link bluetooth adapter now and it works like a champ!

You just do it all through the "Dial-up Networking" services in your bluetooth network neightborhood. Once it is setup between your iPAQ and your PC, you can establish a bluetooth dial-up connection through your PC and it will actually use your modem to connect to the internet and stream that connection to you through the bluetooth. Getting it setup can be painful, but once it is setup it works like a dream.

Another option is to connect to your computer through the "Network Access" service, and then do internet sharing on your dial-up connection. If you check the right box in the internet sharing config, you can set it so if your iPAQ is trying to use an internet resource, your computer will automatically connect.

I hope that is what you wanted to hear ;)

-Nic

One thing I forgot to mention is that through the "Dial-up Networking" service, your modem disconnects when you disconnect from your iPAQ, where as through "Network Access" if your modem dials up it will stay connected after your iPAQ loses connection. Also, through "Dial-up Networking" you cannot use the internet connection on your computer, just on your iPAQ.