View Full Version : Is now a good time to convert to the Zune?

Phillip Dyson
12-25-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm currently the satisfied owner of a Zen:M music player. I really don't have any complaints for what I use it for.

But that never stopped a techno-addict. I'm wondering, of everyone here who has the Zune and has experienced the highs and lows of the experience...

I'm wondering if you would recommend it to someone else. Like a family member or a friend. I just got around to watch the MattFromZune video that was posted here a couple of months ago and I think I'm feeling the itch. Larger screen, better user interface.

The question in the back of my mind, is am I going to have to suffer through Version 1 aka Beta pains of the device and hardware?

Is Version 2 going to make my device obsolete? Or will it mostly be a software platform update.

How is the software at managing your music? WMP is no walk in the park and I'm wondering if the Zune software is better or worse. Or the same.

Just a few questions to get a summary feel from all of our glorious early adopters.

Darius Wey
12-26-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm wondering if you would recommend it to someone else. Like a family member or a friend. I just got around to watch the MattFromZune video that was posted here a couple of months ago and I think I'm feeling the itch. Larger screen, better user interface.

FWIW, I just recommended one to a friend. The tough construct and nicer UI were big bonuses for him.

The question in the back of my mind, is am I going to have to suffer through Version 1 aka Beta pains of the device and hardware?

Is Version 2 going to make my device obsolete? Or will it mostly be a software platform update.

Most of the interviews with Microsoft have highlighted the fact that the first-generation Zunes will not be made obsolete with the arrival of the second-generation Zunes. That's not to say the latter won't incorporate new features on the hardware side (they most likely will), but from the software perspective, the first-generation Zunes will receive firmware upgrades in a bid to keep it as functional as second-generation Zunes.

How is the software at managing your music? WMP is no walk in the park and I'm wondering if the Zune software is better or worse. Or the same.

In a nutshell, it is WMP11 with a new skin, plus and minus a couple of features, so it feels the same. Although, I don't think managing media in WMP is difficult. What have you come across that proves otherwise?

Phillip Dyson
12-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the reply Darius. The UI is a big draw for me too.

As for WMP11, I think its more from a troubleshooting standpoint. Its showing wrong album art the I know is not in my library.

I went through and deleted all jpg and bmp files from my library and mad everything embedded using MediaMonkey. MM and SageTV show the right art but WMP11 and by association my ZenM has the wrong art. I've tried removing and readding the directories, but WMP11 wont let its cache go.

I cant find a way force WmP11 to rebuild its cache.

Aaron Roma
12-26-2006, 06:19 PM
I've recomended Zune to a couple of people, and iPods to a couple of others. It really depends on what the needs are. For music playback, photo viewing, and video (mostly home videos), then I find it hard to beat Zune, and would recomend. If someone's looking for a lot of video content (movies / TV-shows) or a flash based player, then I lean towards the video iPod or Nano right now. I still own and use a Nano just about every day. My Zune has replaced my larger capacity video iPod I was using previously.

Phillip Dyson
12-28-2006, 10:04 PM
I've recomended Zune to a couple of people, and iPods to a couple of others. It really depends on what the needs are. For music playback, photo viewing, and video (mostly home videos), then I find it hard to beat Zune, and would recomend. If someone's looking for a lot of video content (movies / TV-shows) or a flash based player, then I lean towards the video iPod or Nano right now. I still own and use a Nano just about every day. My Zune has replaced my larger capacity video iPod I was using previously.

Sounds like your recommendations are based on usecases and not your experience with the Zune. Thats a good thing I suppose. It means your experience hasn't been bad enough to not recommend the Zune.

But I wonder, what Jason thinks about his experience with the Zune so far. I know that he tends to push his gadgets to the limit.

Also, I've been through the whole early adopter phase with the Windows Mobile platform. Are you guys biased with your willingness to be an early adopter?

Aaron Roma
12-29-2006, 04:07 AM
It means your experience hasn't been bad enough to not recommend the Zune.

Not bad, by any means. I've had a very nice experience with the Zune. It is quite a device that blows away the iPod in many areas. But the sad fact is, the are feature that the iPod has that the Zune just flat out doesn't yet have yet.

Also, comparing to Windows mobile, Zune is a much more mature product in it's first interation than WM devices every were. At least that's my opinion. Jason and others may disagree.