View Full Version : BargainPDA's ViewSonic V37 Quick Look

Jason Dunn
08-28-2003, 08:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1575' target='_blank'>http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1575</a><br /><br /></div>BargainPDA's Barry J. Doyle takes a look at the Viewsonic V37:<br /><br />"Several months ago, ViewSonic Corp. released its first “V35” model Pocket PC. The fairly successful unit has been enmeshed with mixed reviews and feedback from users. The pluses: thin, lightweight, great screen and competitive pricing. The minuses: plastic casing (a rather new concept at the time of the launch of the V35), that some users said did not “feel” well-constructed. Move ahead to the present (August 2003). many new devices have been released in plastic casing as well. The HP iPAQ 1900, 2200, Dell Axim, etc. Why? Cheaper? Yes. But mainly to make Pocket PC’s lightweight and comfortable in your pocket. <br /><br />I think users all share different opinions concerning this issue. I have expressed my own questions regarding durability in earlier reviews. Well back to this PPC. The V37 looks almost identical to the V35, but has been updated with a 400MHZ, PXA 255 processor and a slightly better screen. The screen on the V37 seems to have even better color saturation. A real competitor to the almighty iPAQ screens."

Skoobouy
08-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Memory
Includes 64MB ROM and 64MB SDRAM (36.45MB user accessible) so you can store more e-mail, photos and music.

:roll:

Peter Foot
08-28-2003, 02:49 PM
I hope I'm not being too controversial here but I actually like the V37 :wink: after having used it a while. At first you think it looks cheap and flimsy, but its light, sturdy enough has a nice screen and great battery life.

Maybe there is a positive psycological point to its plastic case - it makes you think its flimsy so you treat it better.

I only have a couple of issues with it:-

I have a number of CF cards from my iPaq and a CF WLAN card which I can't use with it - fair enough its far smaller than my 3630 with CF sled.

The audio pops when it would normally play sounds even when the volume is muted, this appears to go away with time and is probably due to the fact the audio system is turned on and off again, even though no sound is to be played - could save a bit more power by disabling the audio sub-system altogether when muted...

The cradle is rather stiff for docking and removing the device, I guess this will improve with wear and tear... :wink:

Peter

Peter Foot
08-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Memory
Includes 64MB ROM and 64MB SDRAM (36.45MB user accessible) so you can store more e-mail, photos and music.

:roll:

True but you do get 36mb of ROM storage to use too which is great - so overall you have 72MB to play with - they really need to sort out how these facts can be presented in a more honest and straight-forward way. Then again a similar though less extreme method is used when describing hard disks on dekstop computers - a 40Gb disk may have only 37Gb of formatted space.

muaddip
08-28-2003, 04:01 PM
I got my v37 a few weeks ago through the .NET program and I have been playing with it ever since. I have to say I really like the device, I was using a company iPAQ 3850 before and while the iPAQ has a bigger screen, a little better color and the CF slot if you need it. I ditched it for the v37.

I like to smaller size, it fits better in my hand, the buttons a nicer also, the thumb pad has a better feel then the iPAQ and the rocker switch on the side is handy to use. One of the really cool things along the lines of software is the Smart Battery program which is a built in CPU speed adjuster, there are four setting on my, Auto, Low performance, High Performance and Superior Performance. Superior runs at 399mHz, the Low and High run at 199, but I think there is another setting in High that makes it faster then low.

I just order the Wi-Fi card and that should be very cool, I have been waiting on setting up a home network for these little SD Wi-Fi's to com out and now I think I will have to take the plunge.

There are a few things I don't like, some of the software is not quite compatible, 3rd party accessories are virtually no existent the most notable is a nice case for the v37. I know there is the metal flip top case which I was considering, but Viewsonic just release and fold over case which I am going to try since I got it free with the Wi-Fi card, but Vaja if you are watching, MAKE A CASE!!!!

Anyway for an essentially free PocketPC you really cannot go wrong, even if you have to pay to money it is still a very nice handheld and the only other one that I think about is the iPAQ 2200 series, an that is just for the small size an dual slots.

Okay enough of my rambling, just needed to write something I guess....Hmm at this rate maybe I should just do a review. ;-)