View Full Version : [b]I need a wifi card for my H2215 - to work with my Linksys[/b]

pkyriacou
08-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Can someone help?:

I jsut got an H2215 and I have Linksys BEFW11S4 EtherFast Wireless-B Access Point + Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch at home.

What card can I buy to connect my h2215 to my home network?

Thanks

Mark_Venture
08-28-2003, 03:34 AM
I use an Ambicom WL1100C-CF card. Not too expensive, usually $69.99 at Circuit City and Best Buy. Some people have reported finding it cheaper.

I had a Linksys BEFW11S4 (ver 4) for a couple weeks and returned it for a WRT54G due to wanting G speed for my laptop. The Ambicom card (with latest drivers from their web site) works fine with both of them.

Leo the 3rd
08-28-2003, 04:49 PM
I have the 2215 and had good luck using the D-Link Air DCF-660W using the drivers found on the D-Link website. I'm able to connect successfully with my Linksys Access Point. I'm getting good range.

Former Palm Vx converted to PPC

rzanology
08-28-2003, 05:25 PM
you should try the sandisk one. You might not think it, but a friend of mine just bought one and he picks stuff up right next to my laptop and i can't even get it. I use a net gear card with my ipaq but it always seems to break...im on my 4th on right now. So i'd say try the sandisk!

fit4life
08-28-2003, 09:16 PM
I have had both the d-link cf wi-fi card and the linksys wcf11 wifi-card. If you have a linksys router/ap you cant go wrong with the linksys, but in reality they are about the same on the inside...

Anthony Caruana
08-30-2003, 08:06 AM
I'm using a Socket low power card with a Belkin Router/wireless access point with no probs. The Socket cad has better range than the dlink card in my laptop (dwL650)

MikeUnwired
08-31-2003, 04:59 AM
Has anyone had any luck using the Linksys CF WiFi card (WCF12) with an HP iPAQ 2215? I loaded the PPC2002 drivers, but got no recognition of the card hardware. I didn't find a 2003 patch on the Linksys site the last time I looked.

BTW, the card works fine with my Axim X5 running 2002.

Glen8
09-01-2003, 12:16 AM
Has anyone had any luck using the Linksys CF WiFi card (WCF12) with an HP iPAQ 2215? I loaded the PPC2002 drivers, but got no recognition of the card hardware. I didn't find a 2003 patch on the Linksys site the last time I looked.

BTW, the card works fine with my Axim X5 running 2002.

I have no problem using the Linksys WCF12 with my HP iPAQ 2210. Go to Senao International website - www.senao.com/default-1.htm - (Service & Support/Driver Download) to download the Windows Mobile 2003-compatible driver. Download WLAN_ForWinCENET400.zip file. Run the installer and then do a soft reset. Then power back up and insert your Linksys card. The OS should give you an "unrecognized card" pop-up. Enter "wlannds.dll" (without quotes) into the input box and click OK. Your link light should now be flashing green and you will be notified of the existing 802.11b networks within range (if any). Going to Start/Settings/Connections/Connections will also let you see networks within range.

I followed these instructions - from a poster on the pocketpc wireless newsgroup - and once I'd entered my WEP key my Linksys card recognized my network and my iPAQ connects to the internet for me to browse and also collect email.

There's only one slight glitch. When I soft reset now, I get a "cannot find WLANSTA.exe" error message. I don't know why it's happening. The WLAN Status icon in the Startup folder points to the correct location of the folder containing this file.

MikeUnwired
09-01-2003, 05:24 AM
Glen8, all I can say is You da man!

Works exactly like you said and I'm one happy camper.

Do you find you need to turn-off the Bluetooth radio when using the WiFi or is ok to just leave it on?

Glen8
09-01-2003, 07:23 AM
Glen8, all I can say is You da man!

Works exactly like you said and I'm one happy camper.

Do you find you need to turn-off the Bluetooth radio when using the WiFi or is ok to just leave it on?

Glad it worked, Success Wizard! I can't take the credit though; I got all this info from a posting in the pocketpc.wireless newsgroup. I wish I could remember the name of the person who posted, but I can't.

I have been turning off my Bluetooth radio when I'm finished with it, so actually haven't tried using the iPAQ with the WiFi AND Bluetooth on at the same time; figure that could easily cause a conflict?

jeffx
09-03-2003, 12:32 AM
What drivers did you use that made the 660 work on the 2215? I installed the newest drivers with no luck. dcf660w_drivers_200.

Leo the 3rd
09-03-2003, 02:58 AM
I used the Axim drivers on the D-Link website. http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1350&question=DCF-660W

Those worked for me.

Brad Adrian
09-03-2003, 03:52 AM
you should try the sandisk one...
I agree that the SanDisk works great, but they haven't released WM2003 drivers for it yet.

Oeryk
09-05-2003, 05:37 AM
:evil:
Okay, I am severely dissappointed! I guess I should have done my homework. I own an iPAQ 3835 with a CF sleeve. I recently purchased the $30 LinkSys WCF12 CF WiFi card. It was a breeze to setup and use. I could sync and surf flawlessly at home and even at work using my Apple iBook with Airport card as a WiFi hub (it is connected to an ethernet LAN). I THOUGHT it was a great bargain!

Last week, I bought an iPAQ 2215. TEEHEE...I was so excited. I went right home and installed the LinkSys software and plugged in my card. NADA. NOTHING. CRAP. I did some research and found that there are no drivers for WM2003 yet. I have emailed support, with NO ANSWER at all. Not even, "We are working on it." I am PISSED!

So last night, I see Glenn8's post. HAPPY HAPPY! I do exactly as it says...and it worked. I could surf the net. I could NOT sync however. Tonight, I can do nothing. I tried to reinstall the drivers, but it fails and says the WLANIOC is in ROM or in use. I cannot do anything to get it to work now.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Should I bite the bullet and buy another card? Or, has anyone heard ANYTHING from STINKSYS?

By the way...first post here. LOVE the site! Lots of helpful info and people here.

Oeryk
09-05-2003, 07:07 AM
I found some very clear instructions over at Brighthand. I was finally able to get the Senao drivers to work properly. I still have to switch back and forth in NETWORK CARD settings, but that is a small inconvenience. I am too stupid to figure out the Proxy stuff.

Keep me updated if anyone hears from LinkSys. Still would like their drivers for their card.

iPaqDude
09-08-2003, 01:44 AM
I loaded the Senao drivers on my 2215 just like the other posts were describing. My Linksys WCF11 acts like it is connecting, but I cannot access out on PIE - tells me the pages are not available.

How are you configuring up PIE to go out on a wireless link? I work fine going out using BlueTooth and my T68.

Any assistance would be most apprecaited!!!!

JustinGTP
09-08-2003, 01:58 AM
See, I want to get wireless aswell, but I might aswell wait for the actual linksys 2003 drivers come out!

-Justin.

Oeryk
09-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Over at BrightHand, I saw this post:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=0d6ca747bf35cc3b87436c9003eca14d&threadid=88086

Could a new driver be here soon?

iPaqDude, I had the EXACT same problem. I uninstalled the Senao drivers, and reinstalled them. Here is the link to the instructions I used the second time around:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=0d6ca747bf35cc3b87436c9003eca14d&threadid=86559

Glenn8's info was VERY helpful, but I found these were a little more simplified for my tiny brain. :lol:

By the way, there was a file named WLANIOC that it would NOT let me delete. I used File Explorer with INVISIBLE FILES turned on and was able to find the filename. I simply renamed it. Reinstalled the driver and THEN deleted the file I had renamed. Worked like a charm.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Oh, also...I did NOT set up any connections under MY ISP or MY WORK NETWORK. But under the ADVANCED tab in CONNECTIONS, goto NETWORK CARD at the bottom. Where it says, MY NETWORK CARD CONNECTS TO:, I have to choose INTERNET to surf and WORK to use ActiveSync. Strange, but it works fine. That is the only drawback I have found so far. A SMALL inconvenience until LinkSys releases their drivers.

At least now I know that they are actually working on the issue.

mrbee2828
09-23-2003, 11:08 PM
So do any available cards support PPC2003 and the 2215? I want to buy one but I'd rather wait until there is something out that doesn't require a million work arounds.

Mark_Venture
09-24-2003, 03:32 AM
So do any available cards support PPC2003 and the 2215? I want to buy one but I'd rather wait until there is something out that doesn't require a million work arounds.
Yep. The Ambicom card I listed at the start of this thread. Ambicom has their Windows Mobile/PPC2003/.Net drivers on their site. The only feature the Ambicom drivers lack is the ability to power the card off while it is still inserted. You must remote the card if you wish to cut power to it.

Now, you can use the Senoa drivers instead to gain the ability to power the card off without having to remove it. They work just as good.

NOTE: I just looked at Ambicom's site again.. The driver version is still 1.5, but now dated Sept 22, 2003. Not sure what has changed.. Gonna have to try em :)

stevenmh
09-26-2003, 03:09 AM
I had bought the Linksys WCF12 since the rest of my network is all Linksys. Used the beta WM2003 that was posted at Brighthand. It connected and worked fine, but would drain a 100% charged battery in 45 minutes. Even with no network activity.

I just got the Socket tonight, and it works just as well, but is MUCH easier on the battery.

Huy
09-26-2003, 04:46 AM
First of all let me just say that my view could be bias because I have not tried all Compactflash WIFI cards out there...I have only been using one...The Socket Card.

Here's my typical experience with my socket card ....walk to various public park ...sit down ...pull out and insert my socket card ....wait until the green light starts to blink fast ....launch PIE ....type "shoutcast.com"...tune into one of those 128 bitrate station ...and just sit back and relax.

If you're one of those guys/girls who like to spend time in the bathroom doing your thang for hours then the Socket card is for you :twisted: he..hee..heeee

One of the managers at my work place saw my Socket card and he got one soon after. He came to me last week and said "I love it!!"

stevenmh
09-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Well, having used the card for awhile, it does NOT work just as well. The 2215 keeps freezing up during network activity...ie web browswing. The WLAN card LED goes off and the unit becomes totally non-responsive. Pulling the card out frees the unit from its frozen state, and upon reinserting the card it connects and works fine...until the next freeze a few minutes later.

I just checked the Socket forums, and there are several other 2215 users there having the exact same problem. One of them bought three 2215's and three Socket WLAN cards, and the problem exists on all units in any combination. They've emailed Socket and not heard back. I emailed Socket, but I told them that I'd be sharing my experience with all the major PPC websites, so maybe that will provide an incentive for them to respond to the issue.

Grrr.

Any 2215 users here having or had this problem? If you had it and solved it, what did you do? I've played with all the network settings, none of it makes a difference. Tonight I plan to play with registry settings, but I shouldn't have to go through this. Socket has been made aware of the problem and should be spoon-feeding me a solution or providing an updated driver for download.

mrbee2828
09-26-2003, 12:50 PM
The unit I bought comes with a 128mb SD card so I was hoping to find a CF card and use both at the same time.

msdawe
09-28-2003, 04:56 AM
The Ambicom works well with either the driver from Ambicom or the Prism driver. Not sure where to get the Prism driver anymore. I have tried both and I prefer the prism driver. I do, however, miss the power management capability of the older drivers from Ambicom for PPC2002. Zero config is great, but power management is more important.

Anybody have any ideas how to get the power management to work on the Amibcom card using the PPC2003 drivers?

silentmuse
09-28-2003, 09:24 AM
I've got the Socket problem - I've tried three different 2210s and 2 different Socket cards, in all cases my ipaq tends to freeze up on power-ons and other such times.

I've gone back to my Dlink 660 using the beta 2003 drivers and it's been working *flawlessly*.

Socket support finally returned my email after over a week, they say that they know there's a problem with the cards and the 2210/2215s and they're working on it. The thing that's throwing them for a loop is that some 2210s have the problem, some don't. I hope they figure it out soon, I prefer the socket card simply for the smaller footprint. At least the Dlink works well

Wierd....

stevenmh
09-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Hmm. Now I'm not sure what to do. I printed out a UPS return label yesterday and planned to send the Socket back to Amazon tomorrow. I uninstalled the Linksys driver and installed the Senao driver, and now the WCF12 works much better and uses significantly less power. The Socket is still nicer, with even less power consumption and a smaller size. I guess I can cancel the return, and if they still haven't fixed the problem in 3 weeks, I can go through with the return.

mrbee2828
09-28-2003, 04:12 PM
can you post a link to this "socket" card everyone is referring to?

silentmuse
09-28-2003, 05:50 PM
http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6000-320.asp

jutae
09-30-2003, 06:44 AM
Anyone know if there's a workaround for the Symbol Wireless Network CF Card?

pkyriacou
10-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks to all who responded and interogated further on this topic. I am now successfully using the WCF12 with my h2215.

PK

Rocketeer
10-23-2003, 02:51 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention the Dell TrueMobile 1180 CF card in their experiences. I just got a 2210 and bought the Dell CF card to go with it. I got a great deal on eBAY for the Dell Card, BTW.... do a search on eBAY and you'll find a guy that has more than 70 of them for dutch auction for less than $35. Anyway, I've had no problems at all with my setup using the drivers that came with the Dell card. The only issue I have... and that may be because I'm somewhat new to the Pocket PC scene is that I keep getting this VPN message popping up all the time and I have to hit "Dismiss" to get rid of it. :( I suppose I need to learn a little more about the VPN settings to get rid of that nagging pop up.

Thanks to all of you guys and gals for the informative posts! This form is awesome! :D

CCollins
11-05-2003, 08:22 PM
You can use the Socket drivers with the Symbol card. It is the same chipset. Symbol drivers should be available very soon.

apitsos
05-15-2004, 12:40 AM
After doing some research I found the driver I needed for my WCF11 card from the SENAO website. Use the Wireless Compact Flash Card - V. 2.01 for Windows CE 3.0 - This is for Type II - also do what Greg says to do by typing in the dll file name. So far so good!