View Full Version : I need a sniffer for my new IPAQ 5550

08-27-2003, 01:24 AM
I just got my Ipaq 5550 and I realized quickly that there is no network sniffer installed. I really need this capeability. I install wireless networks for the local cable company, and I was counting on software that would give me network ssid, and the signal strength. does anyone have any ideas?

starbot
08-27-2003, 04:17 AM
the 5550 doesn't have an AP survey?

08-27-2003, 04:41 AM
I can't find it anywhere on the device. it connects nicely, and automaticaly, which is way cool, but I need to see what networks are available, and how strong those signals are. any ideas?

makic
08-27-2003, 09:48 PM
It has an AP/device survey. When the wirelss is on, just select Connections/Settings (you can do this from the drop down menu from the wireless icon at the top of your screen). Then hit the Advanced tab, press the Network card button and . . . presto, you got yourself a list of available networks. It does not tell you signal strength nor if it has WEP enabled, but you have the SSID there. Just Press and Hold the network of your choice and you can connect (so long as it says "Available."

I know that Boingo has a free application to detect APs and it will tell you if WEP is present, but I don't believe that it has the option to connect to the network at your request.

foebea
09-04-2003, 05:48 PM
PocketWinC at http://www.cirond.com/site/products/wifispotter.htm
JUST released the new version of thier software, its not a sniffer like ethereal, but from your description i bet this is what you are looking for.

This is afaik the first package to have automatic out of box support for the 5555 series built in wifi!
wooo!

09-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Thanks alot. This is exactly what I was looking for. It even helps with the WEP encryption. great software. :lol:

AL904a
09-06-2003, 12:26 PM
I have been reluctant to try Cirond's PocketWinC with my 5555. I emailed Cirond, and they said that they hadn't tested it on a 5500 series.

Are you running it without any problems? Would you recommend it?

berzins
09-08-2003, 12:53 AM
PocketWiNc does not work well with any 5000 series that I can tell. In a few emails over the last few days, the boys at Cinrod have basically stated (in not these words), that the WiFi built into the 5000 series is Atmel based and sucks. I have tried the software with a 2210 and Socket CF and it works great. Ruinning it on a 5000 series is flakey at best (works off an on).

Dave...

AL904a
09-08-2003, 01:05 PM
PocketWiNc does not work well with any 5000 series that I can tell.

Thanks for the heads up. I tried to download and install it this weekend. There was a problem with their FTP I guess, because I got an empty zip file when I downloaded it from their site.

Now, after reading your post, I will pass on Pocket Winc until they get it fixed.

gandalf
09-11-2003, 05:39 AM
I am currently using an IPAQ 5500 with the latest version of pocketwinc. It works fabulously with no problems.

Steven Cedrone
09-11-2003, 02:21 PM
I am currently using an IPAQ 5500 with the latest version of pocketwinc. It works fabulously with no problems.

If you do decide to try it in your device, and if you want PocketWinc for free, look at this thread... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17876&highlight=)

Just remember to uninstall your trial version before installing the PC Mag version...

Steve

Anthony Caruana
09-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Have you looked at Pocket Warrior and Mini stumbler. Not sure if they support your device but perhaps they are worth a look.

Also. I believe that there is an updated driver for the 5000 series Wi Fi. I saw a link to it at www.ipaq.net. I guess there's a link to it somewhere here as well but I don't recall where.