View Full Version : Move from internal to SD

patnshan
08-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Hello all,
I am a recent convert from Palm to PPC. I love it so far. One thing I an finding hard is moving programs that were originally installed in the internal memory to the SD card. I use PowerRUN on the Palm for that purpose. It worked great. Is there anything like that available for the PPC? I have an ipaq 3950. Thanks.
Pat

dean_shan
08-26-2003, 04:26 PM
You can just use file explore for that. Copy the folder with the apps then paste it on the SD card.

08-26-2003, 05:12 PM
I thought that if you moved a folder from memory to a sd card or CF card, or anywhere else for that matter, it would mess up the link to the software for the program. isn't that right?

Steven Cedrone
08-26-2003, 05:14 PM
You can just use file explore for that. Copy the folder with the apps then paste it on the SD card.

Ummm...

I don't think so. Stand alone apps(like Remover, that don't require an install script to run) might be transferred, but any apps that modify the registry will not work...

I would tend to think the only course of action is an unistall and a reinstall...

Steve

dean_shan
08-26-2003, 07:03 PM

Ummm...

I don't think so. Stand alone apps(like Remover, that don't require an install script to run) might be transferred, but any apps that modify the registry will not work...

I would tend to think the only course of action is an unistall and a reinstall...

Steve

Yeah you're right. I havn't tried to move any big apps over to my card. I have only moved games. :oops:

patnshan
08-26-2003, 07:54 PM
OK,
So, there is no way to do this like on the palm. I can live with installing and reinstalling on the card. The next question is to tell me if there is an easy way to identify which programs are on the card and which are in the memory so that I may uninstall and reinstall the right ones. I forgot where I put what. Thanks.
Pat

dean_shan
08-26-2003, 08:36 PM
You could pull your card out and look at your start menu. All the programs with the broken icons are on the card. That is the easiest way I can think of besides manualy looking for them via File Explorer.

patnshan
08-26-2003, 08:39 PM
I just found a program recommended on another thread called pocketexplorer. It shows what's on the card. You can just move the whole application folder to the card. Very much like PowerRUN, which I am used to. Also, you have to pay for powerRUN and this is free. What a deal. Thanks.
Pat

spursdude
08-26-2003, 11:18 PM
I just found a program recommended on another thread called pocketexplorer. It shows what's on the card. You can just move the whole application folder to the card.
Pat
Well, like Steve said, it's probably not a good idea to just cut and paste applications onto a storage card if you had to go through an install process. You'll end up making dead registry entries and you won't be able to uninstall programs the correct way. Your registry may clutter up, and the PPC will run a little slower, probably.

maximus
08-27-2003, 01:31 AM
OK,
So, there is no way to do this like on the palm. I can live with installing and reinstalling on the card. The next question is to tell me if there is an easy way to identify which programs are on the card and which are in the memory so that I may uninstall and reinstall the right ones. I forgot where I put what. Thanks.
Pat

Or you can use this small application called WIMR, it will show you what is where.

spursdude
08-27-2003, 01:58 AM
Or you can use this small application called WIMR, it will show you what is where.
Yeah, that's a great program - stands for Where Is My RAM? It's very helpful. You can pick it up here (http://mypaq.net/).