View Full Version : Just a few good words...

phanprod
08-26-2003, 12:41 PM
This great realization dawned on me today...

Back in January, I picked up my first PPC. It was fun out of the box, but I soon found myself scanning the web for software. That search brought me here to PPCT.

Eventually, I found that everything worth noting was posted here. The admins seemed to scan the same sites as I did for the news of the day... and most of the other sites just scanned this one. Not saying that there aren't any other PPC sites out there that are any good, just that this one seems to sum most everything up for me. (and most of the other sites I visit are based on things I read here) One-stop-shopping, so to speak. That's very cool, I think.

Then, to make my world seem even smaller, other sites I frequent seem to be tied in here. I read a comment about Jason Dunn in a recent Chris Pirillo / Lockergnome email. I've seen Neowin (which is currently offline) mentioned here. I don't know about you, but this means something to me... I think I stumbled on the backbone of the tech info part of the net. And for some reason, it all centers on PPCT!

Ok, so I'm ranting... and I'm gushing... but I guess I'm just proud to be a member here, and I'm glad to have found this site. There aren't enough good words spread around these days - I figured I'd put a few in for good measure.

Ahh, that's better. Off my chest. Thanks, PPCT!

piperpilot
08-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Ditto, Phanprod. You really captured the essence of this site for those of us that want to read up on everything PPC. PPCT is far and away THE best PPC site out there!

famousdavis
08-26-2003, 03:09 PM
Phanprod, I'd agree with your conclusions -- this is a very valuable site for enthusiastic PPC owners, of which I count myself as one.

What's made this site so good are two things:

1) Critical mass has been achieved. There are enough people who come to these forums that you really can get good information from a variety of viewpoints.

2) The moderators and contributors are extremely involved. I enjoy the frontpage articles which are always fresh and relevant. The site moderators are amazing in guiding, admonishing, correcting posts so the discussion forum has a level of decorum that is very inviting.

Jason Dunn
08-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Aww shucks. :oops: On behalf of the Pocket PC Thoughts team, thanks for the encouragement. It's always nice to hear. :D

disconnected
08-26-2003, 05:14 PM
I agree. I used to come here for the Thoughts, and go elsewhere for the forums, but as famousdavis said -- critical mass is now here.

petvas
08-26-2003, 05:37 PM
I agree. I used to come here for the Thoughts, and go elsewhere for the forums, but as famousdavis said -- critical mass is now here.

I also used to visit PPCT regularly but for the Forums I would go elsewhere. Now PPCT is my first choice.. The Forums are moderated in a great way and the content is much better in quality compared to other enthusiast sites... The only other forum I visit daily is www.ppc-welt.info (German Site)

Jason Dunn
08-26-2003, 07:03 PM
I also used to visit PPCT regularly but for the Forums I would go elsewhere. Now PPCT is my first choice.

That's wonderful for me to read - I've been hearing, for as long as we've had forums, that "PPCT is great for news, but I visit Brighthand for forums..." - it's nice to hear that our forums have "grown up". :-)

Jereboam
08-26-2003, 07:16 PM
More users in a forum doesn't necessarily mean better answers, or even getting an answer...there are many posts on Brighthand and PPC Passion that simply go unanswered - it's that kind of snobby attitude to "newbies" that really gets my goat in some forums. I haven't seen much of that here, and hope it will stay that way. My post count's low, but I've been lurking for a while now... :wink:

J

petvas
08-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Most forums do feel a little weird...I certainly do not feel at all comfortable there... I believe that PPCT has a certain feeling that makes it unique... :mrgreen:

Hyperluminal
08-26-2003, 08:32 PM
I also used to go here for the news, but other sites for the forums. Since about January though, I've been coming here for the forums too, which are now my favorite ones. The forums here are not only very active, but helpful, friendly, and fun. Coupled with the always current, comprehensive news here, I can easily say this is my favorite PDA site. :)

Good job Jason and company.. Keep up the good work! :way to go:

BTW, the main reason I bought the subscriber services was for the mobile forum. As it turns out, I don't use the mobile forum too often. Still, the rest of the subscriber services have more than justified the cost... :D

PoweriPaq
08-27-2003, 07:28 AM
I just recently registered as well. I come here for the thoughts, then go else where for the forums. But now, I'm on the forum as well. Good job PPCT. It's now my number one website I visit.

bazza
08-27-2003, 11:34 AM
PPCT is a fantastic site for PPC owners. Keep up the great work!! :D

karen
08-28-2003, 02:55 AM
Not only is there great info about PPCs here, I find that my learning index has greatly increased on all kinds of off-topic topics. Overall a fabulous community.

As a moderator of an un-related community, I have to say that the moderators here do an excellent job of managing the community. We hardly ever see all the stuff they do, yet they still have the time (and patience) to participate as well.

Kudos!

Karen

Jeff Rutledge
08-29-2003, 02:08 AM
Not only is there great info about PPCs here, I find that my learning index has greatly increased on all kinds of off-topic topics. Overall a fabulous community.

I'm with you there. I've learned a great deal on a wide range of topics besides PPC's here too. It's kind of a "bonus feature" of the forums. The best example would probably be digital photography and digital video. I've discussed my digital camera and Digital Video Camera purchases here before I made them and I just picked up Microsoft's Faster Smarter Digital Video (http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/display.asp?subid=22&title=6428)(authored by none other than Jason Dunn).

As a moderator of an un-related community, I have to say that the moderators here do an excellent job of managing the community. We hardly ever see all the stuff they do, yet they still have the time (and patience) to participate as well.

Agreed. I think the best evidence of their hard work is how little of it we actually see. They obviously work tirelessly behind the scenes so that things are smooth for the rest of us.

Karen