View Full Version : Excel and formatting?

Michel
08-26-2003, 12:18 PM
How well does Excel preserve the formatting in a spread-sheet (borders, positioning, colors, etc.)?
Is there any need to replace it with a third-party app (e.g Word -> TextMaker)?

bljarv
08-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Pocket Excel is similar to Pocket Word in that it will do a good job as long as you don't throw anything too complex at it. The good news is that there are fewer tricky components to Excel formatting than there are in Word. This means that generally (I have found anyway), that Excel tends to do a better job than does Word.

Michel
08-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Thanks for your reply bljarv :)
Then Pocket Excel should handle simple borders, cells that span several columns, etc.

Do you know of any third-party apps?
I've never heard of any, maybe that's indicative of the lack of need for a replacement app for Pocket Excel...

bljarv
08-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Having said that, there's a shareware application out there named SpreadCE that you may want to give a try (search for it on google, you'll find multiple places to download it). It isn't under development any more, but it seems to be more robust than Pocket Excel.

Small Town Man
08-26-2003, 04:24 PM
SpreadCE is still under development.

Current Version: 1.17
Date: 30 July 2003

http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/

peppzilla
08-26-2003, 08:12 PM
...cells that span several columns, etc.

Pocket Excel doesn't do merged cells, at least as far as I can tell. Other than that, though, I haven't had any problems with it.

UserMark
08-26-2003, 10:08 PM
I use Pocket Word but find the limited features in Pocket Excel unbearable, all of my spreadsheets which I use for work are all far too complex and the only good thing about excel is its advanced features, Pocket Excel isn't much better than an advanced calculator and a brain.

jkendrick
08-27-2003, 03:30 AM
How well does Excel preserve the formatting in a spread-sheet (borders, positioning, colors, etc.)?
Is there any need to replace it with a third-party app (e.g Word -> TextMaker)?

If you just view the spreadsheets on your PPC use Repligo and you will see the sheet just like on the desktop.

upplepop
08-27-2003, 03:54 AM
If you just view the spreadsheets on your PPC use Repligo and you will see the sheet just like on the desktop.

Just remember that the Repligo format is read-only. You will not be able to edit the spreadsheet.

Michel
08-27-2003, 08:45 AM
I would also need to edit the sheet on my PPC, but like I said it wouldn't be anything fancy (except for the formatting, which wouldn't be too complex either).

I'll have a look at SpreadCE though.

(OT: since Repligo seems to be "read-only", would it be suitable as a eBook reader for plain text files (*.txt)? Or would it be better to convert the .txt files to some other format and use another reader?)

jkendrick
08-27-2003, 12:22 PM

Just remember that the Repligo format is read-only. You will not be able to edit the spreadsheet.

That's what I said.