View Full Version : How do you use your Pocket PC?

PhatCohiba
08-26-2003, 04:15 AM
I'm now coming up on my 2 years with my IPAQ 3835 and I'm impressed by its ability to reflect my interest-du-jour. Its been a eBook library, Gameboy competitor, Movie and video streamer, web browsing unit, eMail and Calendaring unit.

What sort of things are you using your PPC for?

Janak Parekh
08-26-2003, 04:21 AM
Well, the biggest problem with your poll is no "multiple" options. ;)

I use mine primarily as a organizer, an e-book platform and as a Internet client. I used to use it for music, as well. I guess the organizer functions are the most "business-critical", but the other two are also very important to me.

--janak

Brad Adrian
08-26-2003, 04:37 AM
Let's see...
I use the calendar and contacts functions many times a day.
I use the e-mail capabilities whenever I'm away from my office.
I ALWAYS play games when I've got a spare moment.
There is over 4 hours of music currently loaded AND two full-length movies.
I'm in the middle of two ebooks and I use my Pocket Bible all the time.
...now, what was the question?

dean_shan
08-26-2003, 04:47 AM
I didn't vote because I use my PPC for all the options except "Movie viewer with at least 2 Full Length Movies plus over video content". I call it "The swiss army knife of gadgets." becasue it can do so many things.

upplepop
08-26-2003, 05:36 AM
The reason most of us got handhelds are because they are so versitle & not restricted to just one function. Mostly because, let's face it, dedicated devices usually fuction much better than our multifunction PPCs.

A Game Boy has better controls and games. MP3 players can hold more music and usually have better sound quality. Portable DVD players have a bigger & better picture and sound.

The one function the PDA really shines is as a Personal Information Manager. The ability to instantly (in theory :wink: ) have access to contacts, schedules, etc. can't be matched by any other device I know... except maybe a Palm :twisted:

jimski
08-26-2003, 05:56 AM
Well, definitely the PIM functions; calendar, tasks, contacts, journal, e-mail. Then there is the synced database and the multiple synced lists that I refer to multiple times a day.

Downloading fresh news via Handstory (I have just never liked AvantGo) to read on the early morning flights. Referencing the multiple documents that I have saved in Repligo format from credit reference info to machine manuals.

Taking meeting minutes with my Compaq foldable keyboard always amazes those around me. And with the battery power I have left, listening to a few select tunes.

Pony99CA
08-26-2003, 09:37 PM
I think people are missing the point. Yes, we all probably use our Pocket PCs for more than one of those categories. I think the idea of the poll is to see what we spend most of our time actually using them for, though.

In my case, it's games. I'm always playing Emerald Hunt (http://www.garlic.com/~svvg/reviews/emeraldhunt/EmeraldHunt.html) or Pocket Euchre (http://www.garlic.com/~svvg/reviews/pocketeuchre/PocketEuchre.html). (Those links take you to reviews of those games on my Web site; real links to the products are there.)

Steve

Steven Cedrone
08-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Although I use it for most of the options in the poll, I find myself spending most of the time on my device reading ebooks...

Steve

buckyg
08-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Since I had to pick one and since it spends most of every business day cradled but looking at my calendar/task list/email, had to choose the PIM function.

Otherwise, I use the heck out of it for all the other stuff.

UserMark
08-26-2003, 10:01 PM
I'm a gamer through and through, I don't think I have ever entered an appointment or task into it. I use pocket word fairly often, but mainly games.

spursdude
08-26-2003, 11:09 PM
I do all of those things, except for the movies and the web browsing, although I do consistently use AvantGo. Pretty soon I'll be getting a 512MB CF card, I think, then I'll be onboard the movie scene most likely.

Mitch D
08-26-2003, 11:15 PM

I use mine primarily as a organizer, an e-book platform and as a Internet client. I used to use it for music, as well. I guess the organizer functions are the most "business-critical", but the other two are also very important to me.

--janak

I would have to agree with Janak, I use my unit to play games, as an ebook reader, I store computer system, printer, scanner and other specs for work. I have used it to help edit a friend's novel as she wrote it using a keyboard. I check email with it and a few dozen other things depending on my needs. It will be used to take notes at a RTG conference for the 2nd year in a row. Heck with the wireless setup it was a way for my wife to page me when she needed me (She is laid up due to an ankle she broke two weeks ago) while I was working in the backyard or on my Ramchager.

dh
08-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Although I use it for most of the options in the poll, I find myself spending most of the time on my device reading ebooks...

Steve

Same here, I use all the options but the games (only rarely).
Actual looking at screen time, books must be number one. (Unless I'm on a trip answering a lot of e-mails) I still can't believe how great the PPC is for reading.

PhatCohiba
08-27-2003, 02:59 AM

--janak

Don't blame me, Its a problem with the code. I wanted 5 polls combined, but alas One poll per post.

-jb

PhatCohiba
08-27-2003, 03:02 AM
It is just cool to me that after 24 months, I'm still finding new things to use my PPC for.

You don't actually scan with your ppc? How would that work? I doubt if many people even print from theirs, though its now possible...

Thanks all.

Arcticblue
08-27-2003, 12:20 PM
I use my Ipaq 3850 to play games with, but when I am at the youthclub (Work there) I use the Excel to do the work for me when the kids buy stuff there, and I sometimes take pictures (think it is not so good ofcourse but fun anyway), and as a divelog... (I have misplaced my paperback divelog and can't seem to find it!!!!).

But I am thinking of uploading some ebooks and stuff too... but currently I got way too many games on it :D

ctmagnus
08-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Tie between PIM and ebooks. After using an iPaq 3670 for 2+ years, I'm still bowled over by the display quality of my 5550, even after using it for over a month. It's much easier on the eyes. Especially in Pocket Informant.

maximus
08-28-2003, 01:46 AM
Mine is used mostly for GPRS (ICQ, internet, voice, sms, etc.) and playing oggs. Voice-over-GPRS is a life saver, economically.