View Full Version : Hitachi Microdrive Nearing Release

Janak Parekh
08-26-2003, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11192' target='_blank'>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11192</a><br /><br /></div>"HITACHI Global Storage, which now owns IBM's hard drive business, said it has started sampling 4GB microdrives aimed at the consumer market. The drive, said Hitachi, weighs 16 grams, is the size of a regular book of matches, and is already being sampled by Sony, Kodak, Minolta, Pentax and Sigma. Hitachi also claims the data transfer rate is 70 times more than its previous microdrive. Interestingly, even when used in a digital camera, that camera must support a FAT32 file system."<br /><br />It appears that the 4GB Microdrive will <i>finally</i> appear in stores in November... for $500. 8O That's pretty expensive, and I don't think it's going to be popular in PDAs this time around; instead, by claiming the performance metrics, I suspect it'll primarily be used by increasingly-high-megapixel professional digital cameras where its high write speeds can be best utilized. They also mention a 2GB version; I wonder how that will be priced.

guinness
08-26-2003, 01:38 AM
$500, that's cheap compared to the 4 GB CF Type II which is $1500.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03080402lexar4gbship.asp

Janak Parekh
08-26-2003, 01:44 AM
Yes, but we're still talking at least 3 months away, and it's not clear if it'll be available in volume quantities then. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :)

--janak

maximus
08-26-2003, 01:48 AM
But 4 gigs is awesome. Imagine being able to put 1600-2000 fivemegapixels images on one device. Yeah you are right, this will go popular on the digital photography world.

I cannot (yet) imagine myself spending $500 for a storage device.

Julio
08-26-2003, 02:17 AM
Hello,

It is a shame...they rested on their laurels too long. When the Microdrive first came out, nobody else could touch them. Now, they are still the price leader - but that will probably erode all too soon. The speed claims are nice - but what I really care about are the energy requirements. They will need to pump-up the GB numbers pretty quick to stay ahead.

In the end, though, this is good for competition. I love the way the cost/MB keeps falling.

Julio

jkendrick
08-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Due to the costs of miniaturization at these capacities I will be surprised if we see 4 gb of memory at anywhere near that price for over a year. MicroDrives have always been a lot cheaper than memory because they are cheaper to manufacture in volume.

mjhamson
08-26-2003, 02:50 AM
4gb = 455 images on my D100 (using RAW). This would be great. But still... for photographers, we are clammering for the storage devices which that alot 20-60gb for the same price.

Give me a PDA with USB host & CF, Pocket Loupe and a 30gb ultra small Hard Drive.

SassKwatch
08-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Give me a PDA with USB host & CF, Pocket Loupe and a 30gb ultra small Hard Drive.

:!: :!: :!: AMEN! :!: :!: :!:

Timothy Rapson
08-26-2003, 01:16 PM
4 gig. I would never be able to fill up 4 gig on a PDA. 256 MB is all anyone would ever need on a PDA......yes, I'm just joking. :mrgreen:

don dre
08-26-2003, 02:13 PM
if i needed 4 gb desperately i woudl def opt for this over a $1500 CF Card. Since this is no longer IBM I wouldn;t be surprised to see the price drop a bit either. I'd certainly pay $300-350 for it. I currently ahve a 1 GB MD and have been happy with it for 18 months.

PetiteFlower
08-26-2003, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't get a microdrive and I wouldn't want a hard drive on my PPC for 2 reasons.

1. Uses too much power
2. Fails too easily

Flash is much more stable, worth the extra money. I also have no need for more memory then you could get in flash format for a reasonable price.

ctmagnus
08-26-2003, 09:33 PM
I have to agree with everyone who's against miniature harddrives. Flash memory r0x0rs! (and optical storage, too.)

The one thing I have against this company is that the one hard drive I've had fail (head crash) in the nine years I've been using them was an IBM, whose hard drive business is now owned by Hitachi. A drive of the form factor that this thread pertains to would be subject to an awful lot more abuse than my failed drive was, also.

Excalliber
08-27-2003, 02:05 AM
I'll probably just buy the 2 GB version (if it's under 300 bucks) and keep esential things on my flash SD card. I don't want to pay double the price for a CF that won't even fill the entire slot to prevent dust... (Yes, I know the screen is sealed, but it bothers me none-the-less!)

SassKwatch
08-27-2003, 02:34 AM
I wouldn't get a microdrive and I wouldn't want a hard drive on my PPC for 2 reasons.

1. Uses too much power
2. Fails too easily
I've had the 1GB version of the IBM produced MD for just over a year now, and couldn't be more pleased. Though intuitively it makes sense that it would use more power, I've not been able to discern a significant difference in power usage whether the 256MB CF card is in my iPAQ or the MD.

Re: easy failure....mine pretty regularly gets swapped back and forth between my digital camera and the iPAQ, and thus far not a lick of trouble. My biggest fear has been that my clumsy self would drop it and break it. That's where a flash solution would really be preferable, IMO.

Flash is much more stable, worth the extra money.
A $1500 4GB CF card is worth an extra $1000 over a 4GB Microdrive?!?!? Will you **please** adopt me! :mrgreen:

I understand there are quite a few people who currently have no need for 4GB of storage space on a portable device, but for those who do, this beats the pants off a CF card.