View Full Version : Taking snippets of text from MSReader?

famousdavis
08-25-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm reading the free eBook from Microsoft -- Selecting the Pope -- and unlike the two previous public domain eBooks I read over the summer, I've found that I cannot use the Copy Text function in Microsoft Reader.

Now, I don't want to infringe upon the copyright of the eBook, but I do like taking excerpts from the eBook and storing them in a Word doc -- that helps me remember key points in the book.

Since the Copy Text function is inaccessible, is there a way to circumvent this by using a screen-capture program that can then use character recognition to decipher part of the screen-capture? Or, more generally, is there a way to circumvent Reader's copy-protection features just so I can copy a word and paste it into Lextionary to get a definition?

I'm not looking to make illegal copies of a copy-protected eBook. I just want to use the eBook in a personal way without being constrained by the copy-protection embedded in the eBook I'm reading.

Any thoughts?

AndyD
08-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Have you tried converting the books to a different format? I read in a another thread that you can convert *.lit to other ebook formats, particularly ones that MobiPocket Ebook reader can understand.

Kati Compton
08-25-2003, 07:55 PM
FYI - I changed the topic title to make it sound less like trying to read illegal eBooks....

And once again, the first post gets moved to the end... bug bug bug in the system.

Steven Cedrone
08-25-2003, 08:31 PM
And once again, the first post gets moved to the end... bug bug bug in the system.

Fixed...

Steve