View Full Version : Way to change default for calendar items--alarms?

maikii
08-24-2003, 09:34 PM
Hello,

I am a new PDA user, using the IPAQ 2210 with WM 2003.

When I create a new calendar item in Outlook on the PPC, it has "Remind Me" checked, and therefore will ring an alarm at a certain time, unless I remember to uncheck that box, to unset the alarm.

That doesn't happen in desktop Outlook. Alarms aren't set by default, you have to set one if you want one.

Any way to change that on the PPC, so the default setting on a new calendar item is to not have an alarm set, unless you set one?

Jason Dunn
08-25-2003, 12:31 AM
That doesn't happen in desktop Outlook. Alarms aren't set by default, you have to set one if you want one.

Actually, they're on by default for me in Outlook XP, so you must have changed something in Outlook to get an appointment without a reminder (which seems illogical somehow anyway). Perhaps you should use the task list if you have appointments that aren't really appointments. Or maybe mute the device?

Janak Parekh
08-25-2003, 01:00 AM
Sure, you can change it. Go to Tools -> Options, and there's an option to "Set reminders for new items", which you should uncheck. You can do the same thing in Outlook on the desktop. (At least, this is on my Pocket PC 2002; I assume they haven't removed the option in WM2k3.)

Jason, I think some people put things in their calendar and then look at it manually, instead of being "alarmed". ;)

--janak

maikii
08-25-2003, 01:56 AM

Actually, they're on by default for me in Outlook XP, so you must have changed something in Outlook to get an appointment without a reminder (which seems illogical somehow anyway). Perhaps you should use the task list if you have appointments that aren't really appointments. Or maybe mute the device?

Jason,

I put things in my calendar that I intend to do a certain day. That's different than the task list which is things needing to be done in general.

There isn't always an exact time to the activity. However, since a time is set by default, I often don't bother to change that. Even if it is something at a particular time, like an appointment, I don't always need an alarm to remind me.

Therefore, yes, in the calendar, I would prefer that Outlook not automatically set alarms to all events by default. I can set alarms when I want them.

maikii
08-25-2003, 01:58 AM
Thank you, Janak

Sure, you can change it. Go to Tools -> Options, and there's an option to "Set reminders for new items", which you should uncheck. You can do the same thing in Outlook on the desktop. (At least, this is on my Pocket PC 2002; I assume they haven't removed the option in WM2k3.)

Jason, I think some people put things in their calendar and then look at it manually, instead of being "alarmed". ;)

--janak