View Full Version : Browser issues: Hotmail, Netscape, IE, and Mozilla.

Prevost
08-21-2003, 05:31 AM
I had previous version of msn configured to start hotmail under Netscape. Now I downloaded Messenger 6, it automatically starts hotmail under Internet Explorer. What should I do in order to configure it again to make hotmail to run with Netscape? I just cannot find how! :helpme:

Janak Parekh
08-21-2003, 03:44 PM
I had previous version of msn configured to start hotmail under Netscape. Now I downloaded Messenger 6, it automatically starts hotmail under Internet Explorer. What should I do in order to configure it again to make hotmail to run with Netscape? I just cannot find how! :helpme:
Have you considered reinstalling Netscape so that it restablishes associations? I use Mozilla, and MSNM6 clicks through just fine to it. (I strongy urge you to consider switching to Mozilla anyway, in that it's the future of Netscape -- Netscape as a product is dead. :()

--janak

Prevost
08-22-2003, 03:20 AM
Have you considered reinstalling Netscape so that it restablishes associations? I use Mozilla, and MSNM6 clicks through just fine to it. (I strongy urge you to consider switching to Mozilla anyway, in that it's the future of Netscape -- Netscape as a product is dead. :()

--janakWell, already downloaded Mozilla 1.4 and I', browsing PPCT on it. At the same time I am downloading again Netscape, since Mozilla's interface looks, well...dated...as an strange hybrid between Netscape 7.0 and 4.0 or earlier (that one it used to be when Internet Explorer didn't exist I think)

But still MSN loads on Internet Explorer. Worst of it, I CANNOT reply emails since as soon as I try, the stoopid Explorer "performs an illegal operation and WILL BE shut down". AAARRRGH! How is it possible that a computer running an OS and 2 programs from the one and only manufacturer can conflict this way? :evil:

Kati Compton
08-22-2003, 04:23 AM
Well, already downloaded Mozilla 1.4 and I', browsing PPCT on it. At the same time I am downloading again Netscape, since Mozilla's interface looks, well...dated...as an strange hybrid between Netscape 7.0 and 4.0 or earlier (that one it used to be when Internet Explorer didn't exist I think)
There are several skin choices available. Go to View > Apply Theme > Download More Themes.

I like "Orbit 3+1", myself.

Janak Parekh
08-22-2003, 06:17 AM
But still MSN loads on Internet Explorer.
Hmm. Make sure that when you installed Moz you told it to be the "default browser". If it's still happening, I can't say without looking as to what's going on. :(

--janak

p.s. Kati, I think Orbit 3+1 is the most popular Moz theme. :)

Prevost
08-23-2003, 04:26 AM
But still MSN loads on Internet Explorer.
Hmm. Make sure that when you installed Moz you told it to be the "default browser". If it's still happening, I can't say without looking as to what's going on. :(

--janak

p.s. Kati, I think Orbit 3+1 is the most popular Moz theme. :)I did so! Also, I installed again Netscape and told it to be the default browser, but for no difference.

The most annoying thing of this is that when I try to reply an email, the damn Explorer crashes. I have to enter hotmail via Netscape to get it working.

ANOTHER ONE Microsoft's buggy products??? :evil:

Janak Parekh
08-23-2003, 05:08 AM
I did so! Also, I installed again Netscape and told it to be the default browser, but for no difference.
I believe you! And, worse, I was completely wrong. :oops: I just clicked on the hotmail link in MSNM6, and it indeed launched IE. It appears it supports auto-login now, which presumably requires IE. Sounds like you'll have access Hotmail manually. :( (Alternatively, use Outlook Express or Outlook XP or higher to read Hotmail...?)

--janak

ctmagnus
08-23-2003, 07:01 AM
...Outlook XP...

:twak:

That's 2002! Only the whole suite is referred to as XP. Individual components go by 2002. But I assume you know that by know. After all, that isn't a Palm you use. :mrgreen:

Sorry, Word XP, Excel XP... is another one of my fingernails-on-the-chalkboard things.

Weyoun6
08-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Well, already downloaded Mozilla 1.4 and I', browsing PPCT on it. At the same time I am downloading again Netscape, since Mozilla's interface looks, well...dated...as an strange hybrid between Netscape 7.0 and 4.0 or earlier (that one it used to be when Internet Explorer didn't exist I think)

I suggest you try Mozilla Firebird then. Its a much improved version, way better than IE. cuts out the bloat in the standard version

Prevost
08-24-2003, 07:56 AM
The issue with IE stalling when trying to reply email looks as it happens at random. I am living with it, accustomed as I am to Microsoft's self-minded products... :roll:

BTW, is there a way to copy my most used http directions from netscape into mozilla? Mozilla is now good, I will also download Firebird, but I am using netscape anyway since I am lazy to write down all those directions again. (I do not use Favorites or Bookmarks options, I have never seen the need of looking for how to use them)

Kati Compton
08-24-2003, 05:11 PM
FYI - I split this thread from here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16798

Prevost
08-24-2003, 06:26 PM
FYI - I split this thread from here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16798Yeah Kati, I noticed... :D thanks.