View Full Version : Hp5555 - WIFI

xerxers
08-23-2003, 03:29 AM
I have been using PDA's for about 2 years now and recently have upgraded to the HP555 and think that it is a very cool machine....

This is the first time that I have had WIFI. I have read the PDF file on what to do with WIFI but I just can't get it to work.

1. Can somebody point me to what they would consider to be the best site for an explanation of WIFI.
2. I have a PC that is running Windows XP. Is there anything else that I need to attach to the PC to make WIFI work or are there any settings that I have to change on the Pc?
3. Is there somewhere that will take me click by click, page by page through the entire setup procedure.
4. If you have the answers please feel free to PM me.

These may seem like preety basic questions for those of you who understand and use WIFI but beleieve me you don't know what this fog is like..... :(

TIA

Xerxers

gunner6666
08-23-2003, 05:22 AM
1.http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/
2. you can use internet connection sharing with a pci wi-fi card, or a wireless acces point.
3.dont know

Chris Pi
08-23-2003, 04:10 PM
I have a befw11s4 Linksys Router/Access Point (802.11b) and an Ipaq h5550 and I can surf the net, get emails, and share files with Activesync all wirelessly. Here's what I did,

For Internet

-First, enable wifi in the Start menu.
-If you can't get the basic wifi icon at the top of the screen to detect your network try removing your battery and then replace it. Most people only have to do that once with the 5550/5555.
-then when you enable wifi it should automatically detect your network
-If then you can't get internet access you can try upgrading your access point firmware. I had to do this with my Linksys Router/Access Point. Once it was upgraded I could surf the web immediately.

For Wireless Activesync

-Disable any firewall like Norton Firewall
-Sync with your computer with the cradle/usb cable. Do a regular sync (not "guest")
-Remove your ipaq from your cradle and unplug the usb cable
-launch activesync on your pocket pc
-click 'tools' then 'options'
-your desktop computer name should be listed under 'use this pc'
-check 'sync with this pc during manual sync'
-click options
-check 'maintain connection'
-click 'ok'
-click 'ok'
-click the microsoft flag in the far upper left hand corner
-click 'settings'
-click 'connections'
-click the connections icon
-click 'advanced'
-click 'select networks'
-under 'programs that automatically connect to a private network...' select 'my isp'
-Now both drop down boxes should read 'my isp'
-click ok, ok, then x

Now go back to activesync on your ipaq and click 'sync.' What I described above is all I did and it works for me.

For email

Once I had the internet working I just used the Inbox New Account wizard to enter my email pop3 account configuration and it worked the first time.

Hope that helps,

Chris