View Full Version : Help with syncing to two different computers...

RedRamage
08-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey folks... we'll a while back on a Saturday morning I grabbed my Jornada 568 and hit the power button... Nothing! Ack! What happened?!? Then I noticed that the battery was a little loose. Somehow it had some apart from the unit and my backup battery ran dry. Argh! Everything gone....gone...gone... (Yes I know, I should've done a backup...yada, yada, yada. Needless to say, I do do that now!) Sure, I had all my phone numbers and address along with my ToDos and Appointments as work, but I wasn't going back until Monday.

Well, I figure it was high time to get myself another cradle and start syncing with my home computer as well as my work computer, and I did just that yesterday. Now, my understanding is that it's easy as pie to sync with multiple computers. Ha! Everything went fine with my home computer... I setup the partnership, synced what I needed to, everythings great.

So I come back to work this morning, drop in the Jornada and... Ugh! Activestink wants to setup a new partership with the Jornada again. Why?! I really don't want to keep creating new partnerships everytime I sync at home or at work. :evil: Can't I sync with two different PCs without creating new partnerships each time? Please tell me it can be done! :evil:

PoweriPaq
08-22-2003, 04:32 PM
I sync with 2 computers, at first it asked me to create a new partnership. But that only happens after it has been hard reset. Maybe it has something to do with the lost of data on your ppc. After I create a new partnership with 2 computers, it never asked me again.

RedRamage
08-22-2003, 04:37 PM
I've been syncing with my work PC for a little over a week now since my own personal "Black Out" so I don't think it's becasue of that.

vovillamor
08-22-2003, 05:45 PM
So I come back to work this morning, drop in the Jornada and... Ugh! Activestink wants to setup a new partership with the Jornada again. Why?! I really don't want to keep creating new partnerships everytime I sync at home or at work. :evil: Can't I sync with two different PCs without creating new partnerships each time? Please tell me it can be done! :evil:

It is done all the time.

Were you able to create the new Activesync partnership at work and retrieve all you old Outlook data? As long as you didn't change you PocketPC's device name, Activesync won't ask you to create a new partnership.

Since your Jornada went completely dead, your really starting out with a brand new PocketPC...as far as the OS and software is concerned. ActiveSync at your home saw it as a brand new PocketPC and created a new partnership. Activesync at work would do the same on Monday since it is not the same Pocket PC (w/OS and software) that it saw on Friday, so it, too, would create a new partnership.

Once ActiveSync creates a partnership with a PocketPC, it [ideally] won't ask to create a new partnership unless the device name of that PocketPC changes, or [maybe] if there were drastic changes in the OS or installed software on that PocketPC. Even if you named you PocketPC with the same name as before its battery ran out, ActiveSync may still not have recognized it as the same partnership as before.

If you created a clean ActiveSync partnership at home over the weekend, and new ActiveSync partnership at work on Monday, the two should be independent of each other. After you successfully create your partnership on your work computer, you should have all you old Outlook data synchronized, and then you can transfer all of the items in the old PocketPC My Documents folder to the new one. You're PocketPC's data should be [nearly] the same as it was when you left work on Friday.
When you go home Monday night and ActiveSync, you should not have to create a new partnership. When you go to work on Tuesday morning, again, you should no have to create a new partnership.

PoweriPaq
08-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Yes, what vovillamor said:

"Since your Jornada went completely dead, your really starting out with a brand new PocketPC...as far as the OS and software is concerned. ActiveSync at your home saw it as a brand new PocketPC and created a new partnership. Activesync at work would do the same on Monday since it is not the same Pocket PC (w/OS and software) that it saw on Friday, so it, too, would create a new partnership."

vovillamor
08-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Just be careful about trying to synchronize your Inbox on multiple computers...this can't be [easily] done.

* You can ActiveSync many PocketPCs to one computer. (Many partnerships)
* You can ActiveSync one PocketPC to up to two computers. (ActiveSync limitation)
* You can ONLY active sync ONE (1) PocketPC Inbox to ONE (1) Outlook Inbox.

Since my [personal] life is not at work, I sync my personnal e-mail Inbox at home. and then read personal e-mail at work [if I have to] with a web-based e-mail client.
Aside from the Inbox, all my other ActiveSync synchronize checkboxes are the same between my work computer and my home computer.