View Full Version : Need Help Getting Modem Dialer to Work

RCW1126
08-22-2003, 03:55 PM
I live in an area where local calls require a 10-digit number, and I'm trying to get the 56k modem attached to my iPAQ 5455 to dial the correct number to my ISP.

Can someone walk me through the Connection process that leads to the dialing of a 10-digit, local number?

Thanks very much.

doogald
08-22-2003, 04:47 PM
If you go into the "dialing locations" screen (Start->Settings, "Connections" page, choose "Connections", go to "Dialing Locations" page), choose your local location, then you should see a "Dialing Patterns" button at the bottom.

Change the local calls dial string to FG (or 1FG if you have to dial '1' first).

We can do 10 digit dialing only to local communities but must add a 1 to calls in the same area code that are not considered to be local to our local switching office. (Grrr - why can't they just support 10 digit dialing for any area code in state?). But you can add 1 before a valid 10 digit number it still works. So I use 1FG for local calls myself.

RCW1126
08-25-2003, 01:22 PM
The Good News:
Had a chance over the weekend to try your fix and it worked like a charm! No problem dialing a 10-digit, local number to connect to the dialup ISP.

The Bad News:
Unfortunately, I arrive at the office this morning, attach to ActivSync, and learn that my connection settings are no longer compatible with my laptop and DSL ISP (different ISP than the dialup I connected to over the weekend).

How do I switch the connection settings back to re-establish a tie with the laptop and its ISP?

Thanks very much!

RCW1126
08-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Weird...

Somehow, it "righted" itself after a reboot of my host laptop.

If anyone knows how to avoid the initial condition in the future, I'd be happy to know how. Otherwise, it seems to be synchronizing fine now.

[shaking head]