View Full Version : Deciding on first PocketPC

brian_r_baker
08-20-2003, 07:37 PM
I currently use a Handspring Visor Prism as a PDA with the VisorPhone module for use as a cell phone. I am planning on gettting a SmartPhone device once they are release in the US later this year. I think I would also like to get a PocketPC for some situations that are well suited to SmartPhones. I have considered the PPC Phone Edition, but I would really like to get some device(s) with a smaller form factor.

So, here is basically what I am looking for in a PPC:
* Supports Windows Mobile 2003
* Supports WiFi thru CF or SDIO

Also, since I will probably be getting a $500-600 phone later this year (and I'm also looking at a laptop/TabletPC upgrade in the spring 8O ) I don't want to buy a really expensive or fancy PPC. There are two devices that are right at the $200 price point that I am considering:

* Toshiba e355
* Dell Axim X5 Basic

Now, I know some of you aren't very keen on Toshiba because of their customer service / upgrade policies, so there is no need to rehash that. :wink: But if you have other thoughts about these two devices (or other devices), I'd love to hear them.

easylife
08-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Smaller form factor? Toshiba all the way! 8)

nosmohtac
08-21-2003, 07:01 AM
stay away from toshiba.

well, it sounds like you may not need the device long enough to want an OS upgrade, so it doesn't matter. I would still go with the Dell though. Better battery life. Better service.

easylife
08-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Better battery life. Better service.

Also as thick as a brick! :lol:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/hansberry/contest-parody/axim-ipaqadam.jpg

OK, that pic has been enhanced, but it gives a true sense of what it's like to use an Axim. :wink:

drop
08-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Even though I am a Axim owner and really like my PDA, I couldn't help laughing at the "brick".

Is it true Axim's size is due to the Type I CF support? The newer iPaqs do not support Type I. They support the slimmer Type II.

easylife
08-21-2003, 05:30 PM
OK, I can't take any credit for the pic. All credit goes to iPAQAdam on this board. It was part of a contest, which can be found here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6950

brian_r_baker
08-21-2003, 05:48 PM

My main concern with the Toshiba is the 16MB ROM versus the 32MB ROM in the Axim. Is this a big factor?

Also, Dell says that the Axim comes with Windows Mobile 2003 "Premium", while Toshiba doesn't specify which version is on the e355. What different distributions of Windows Mobile 2003 are there, and what do they contain or not contain?

easylife
08-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Yeah, the Toshiba has 16MB ROM and comes with PPC 2003 Professional Edition. The other PPC 2003 edition, Premium, requires the 32MB ROM that the Dell has. The differences are that you don't get things like MS Reader and Terminal Services Client installed in the ROM, rather on an included CD. 8) I hope that this will not deter you from buying the Toshiba... :wink:

brian_r_baker
08-21-2003, 06:25 PM
I hope that this will not deter you from buying the Toshiba... :wink:

easylife, what type of PPC do you have now?

easylife
08-21-2003, 06:36 PM
easylife, what type of PPC do you have now?

Toshiba e310 :D I'm happy, and I think you will be too! :wink:

nosmohtac
08-21-2003, 10:36 PM

Brian said he was using a Handspring Visor Prism.
The Toshiba may be smaller than the Dell, but the Dell is pretty close to the size of the prism.

nosmohtac
08-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Is it true Axim's size is due to the Type I CF support? The newer iPaqs do not support Type I. They support the slimmer Type II.

Axim's size is partially due to it Having a CF Type II slot. A type II slot will accept either Type I or Type II. Type I cards would be like a CF memory card, or some WiFi cards are Type I as well. Type II cards are like the IBM microdrive. They are thicker than the Type I memory cards.
The 4GB CF card that was on the front page a while back, is also the thicker Type II.

As far as Ipaq not supporting Type II, the only ipaq with a built in CF slot is the 22xx series, and It also has a Type II slot. All of the Compaq/HP CF expansion packs have a Type II slot.

brian_r_baker
08-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Brian said he was using a Handspring Visor Prism.
The Toshiba may be smaller than the Dell, but the Dell is pretty close to the size of the prism.

True. The Prism and the Axim are both .7" thick. However, if I add the thickness of my VisorPhone attachment that comes out to about 1.5" total! :|

I think right now I'm leaning toward the Axim. Having the bigger ROM is nice... and I also like that I can get a WiFi compact flash card today for around $40, while SDIO cards are expected to be > $100.

Still a toss-up though! :?

nosmohtac
08-22-2003, 12:39 AM
The one thing that I will definitely give Toshiba (&Casio) credit for, is that their devices are USB host capable out of the box. I don't think I'm going to buy another PPC that isn't. I could get a CF USB host adapter, but they are still expensive.

I think the neatest thing about this is, if I had a Creative Nomad jukebox, or an Ipod, I could load movies on them, and use them as an external hard drive.

maximus
08-22-2003, 01:36 AM
Also as thick as a brick! :lol:
OK, that pic has been enhanced, but it gives a true sense of what it's like to use an Axim. :wink:

Quite funny. Heheh. But actually, being a user of axim, it is not that big. The size feels just right in my palm. The leather grip on the sides ...

brian_r_baker
08-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Well, I have decided to go with the Axim basic. Final factors for me were the larger ROM and the CF support. Also, considering that it is similar in size to my current PDA, I don't expect it to feel huge.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!