View Full Version : Duplicate entries!

maikii
08-20-2003, 05:34 AM
I am using an IPAQ 2210 PPC, running Windows Mobile 2003, of course AcriveSync 3.7.. It is my first PPC.

I notice that after syncing, I often have many duplicate entries on the PPC--duplicate contacts, duplicate notes, etc. Why? What should I change in ActiveSync settings, so that doesn't happen?

Thank you.

Brad Adrian
08-20-2003, 05:55 AM
Have you ever had problems with your partnership and been presented with a dialog screen that asks whether you want entries on your desktop to replace or merge with your Pocket PC data? That might have cause the duplication.

robclif4d
08-20-2003, 11:48 AM
http://www.hlyspirit.org.uk/cms/index.php?id=48

Jason Dunn
08-20-2003, 03:28 PM
The basic problem here is that you likely chose "combine data" along the way - when you do that, it results it duplicates. The solution is to replace the data on the Pocket PC or the PC - pick one as the master (likely the PC). The cause of this is when you alter the same data on the Pocket PC and the PC in different ways - then ActiveSync doesn't know which file is newer.

maikii
08-21-2003, 02:59 PM
The basic problem here is that you likely chose "combine data" along the way - when you do that, it results it duplicates. The solution is to replace the data on the Pocket PC or the PC - pick one as the master (likely the PC). The cause of this is when you alter the same data on the Pocket PC and the PC in different ways - then ActiveSync doesn't know which file is newer.

Why wouldn't ActiveSync know which is newer? Every time a file is modified, isn't there a time/date stamp on it?

I usually do have the PC overwrite the data on the PPC. However, sometimes when away from home, i enter data directly on the PPC. Then, when I synchronize, i of course want the newer data entered on the PPC to be on the PC as well. So, of course I wouldn't want the PC data to always overwrite the PPC data. If there are two records with the same name on the PC and PPC, but different data, couldn't ActiveSync see which of the two records is newer, and put that data on both computers?

Also, i sometimes sync the PPC with two different PCs. With that I hope to also sync the Outlook data on the two PCs, using the PPC as an intermediary.

Therefore, if I change or add data on one of the PCs, sync it to the PPC, and later sync the PPC with the other computer, i would want the PPC to add the new or changed data to the 2nd PC.

Any way to do this without creating duplicates?

I have downloaded the "remove duplicates" program someone mentioned, haven't yet installed or tried it. However, it would be preferable not to create the duplicates in the first place? Is that possible, if I'm syncing the PPC with two PCs, and I sometimes enter new data (or change data) in the PPC itself?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Janak Parekh
08-21-2003, 04:02 PM
I usually do have the PC overwrite the data on the PPC. However, sometimes when away from home, i enter data directly on the PPC. Then, when I synchronize, i of course want the newer data entered on the PPC to be on the PC as well. So, of course I wouldn't want the PC data to always overwrite the PPC data. If there are two records with the same name on the PC and PPC, but different data, couldn't ActiveSync see which of the two records is newer, and put that data on both computers?
Usually, it does that just fine. If you create a new partnership, reset your Pocket PC, or do something similar, it's apt to confuse ActiveSync, at which point, you're given the "combine" or "overwrite handheld" options. In general, you do not want to do the combine option. I wish ActiveSync also had an "overwrite desktop" option, but it doesn't. The only way to "overwrite desktop" in such situations is to first move all records out of the way on the desktop, and then to do the ActiveSync.

Now, with two machines, to avoid duplicates, first sync correctly with one, and then sync with an EMPTY Outlook data file on the second; that way, you will avoid ActiveSync's confusion. You should then be able to sync both machines at will without problems... until such time you need to create a new partnership or somesuch.

This weakness is one of nearly everyone's pet peeves about ActiveSync. :?

--janak