View Full Version : What Does the Future Hold for Your PDA?

Jason Dunn
08-19-2003, 11:48 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112076,tk,dn081903X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n081903X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"The continued evolution of mobile phones and growing sophistication of converged mobile devices means a bleak future for traditional personal digital assistants, market research firm IDC predicts. "From mobile phones to converged mobile devices, which combine the data capabilities of PDAs with the voice communication capabilities of mobile phones, competing device types will draw buyers away from traditional handheld devices," the firm notes in a new report, "Worldwide Smart Handheld Devices Forecast and Analysis, 2003-2007." According to the firm's prognostications, this year the worldwide handheld device industry will decline by 8.4 percent to 11.35 million units, its second straight year of decline."<br /><br />Does this surprise anyone? It doesn't surprise me - converged devices offer many advantages, although I know many Pocket PC Thoughts readers are fans of the "two device solution". I see more phones taking on PDA-like characteristics (a la Smartphone) rather than huge numbers of PDAs suddenly becoming phones. We're just now edging into the true second generation of these devices, so while there's still a lot to figure out in terms of usability, I think the day that every Pocket PC is also a phone or a wireless device of some sort is quickly approaching. What do you think?

portnoy
08-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Personally, I find a PDA to be a very handy device. I keep appointments straight, phone numbers and address' as well as notes that otherwise would be an unmanageable wad in my wallet. I keep mine full of books to read and pictures of family. But I have absolutely no use for another phone. If anyone wants to contact me I have email and and answering machine on my home phone line. The last thing I ever want is something attached to my hip giving people all over the ability to annoy me no matter where I am.

Bob Anderson
08-19-2003, 11:59 PM
My first thought is that convergence = compromise.

With that said, if convergence means an ever smaller screen forget it.
If it means higher cost for the so called "convenience factor" forget it. If it means yet another proprietary "wave" in the name of innovation, forget it, and finally, if it means blending the mission of several devices, instead of selling compatible, unitized, products I'm not interested.

I haven't tried a SmartPhone, but I can't imagine using a smartphone to the same degree I use my PPC. But I could see the day that the two integrate well together, letting the phone be the communicator and the PPC being the "organizer/controller" and replicating as nearly as possible the power of a real PC.

That's my two cents worth...

IpaqMan2
08-20-2003, 12:11 AM
I personally think it's a buch of bull....

I like having my sepereate devices. I like being able to jot notes down on my PDA while I am on my cell phone. I like being able to take quick memos onmy PDA if needed while speaking to someone else on my Cell phone as well. I also like being able to know that I can drop my Cell phone provider anytime I need to, to go to another provider and not worring about needing to change or buy a new PDA as I currently have to do with my Cell phone and last of all... I like that cell phones can be cheap and I can leave all my planning on my PDA and use bluetooth if needed to connect to my cell phone to surf and fax if needed.

The Cell Phone market will keep getting bigger.....But if you really look at who the people are that are buying all these PDA/Cell phones these are the same people who would probably never use their computers for nothing more than to surf and check email. PDAs are ment to do much more than just that. So I dont think PDAs will just go away, they will always serve a purpose for those power users who need more to do than a datebook, and PIM functions....which are what most PDAs are designed to do...which is more than just that.

hdsalinas
08-20-2003, 12:20 AM
I always wanted to use my PDA as a phone, but now that I think of it I rather not.

For me, the best combination is a smartphone + bluetooth + a PPC. I think is a good idea to have communication between these devices and to keep them separated.

I find the OS in new cellphones very primitive and disorganized, adding a standard, logical and complete OS as microsoft´s would add value to our cellphones. For me a smartphone would complement rather than replace my PPC.

Now, a PPC with an integrated GPS would be great!!!!

man! I want a smartphone too! :D [/b]

Tammy Westgate
08-20-2003, 12:21 AM
I've already told everyone I know that my next pda - I currently own an HP 3900 - will be one that has an integrated phone & GPS & camera & whatever-else-is-available-at-the-time. I can see a pda with a walkie-talkie type phone...which would enable you to talk & work at the same time. :idea: For privacy's sake, it would be cool if the incoming voice could be translated to text.

dh
08-20-2003, 12:21 AM
That's my thought as well.
Look at the current crop of PDA phones, non of them offer a specification anything like as good as the average PPC. It seems they take so long to develop that they are obsolete by the time they arrive on the market.
This applies to all types, Palm as well as MS.
MS smartphone seems to be the worst compromise of all. Too big to be a phone, nothing like the fuctionality of a PPC. I really don't see the point in this, neither it would appear do the US carriers.
Unless there is a major breakthrough, it's seperate devices for me.

djl
08-20-2003, 12:24 AM
You know, convergence isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can't help but wonder if it's a good thing. I, personally, don't think we're much better off with Big is Best and All-in-One-Devices rule the day. I love my iPAQs because they store contact information, calendar stuff, miscellaneous notes, pictures of the family, and all sorts of other things with a relatively large, well-lit screen that fits reasonably well in my hand and pocket. The PDA phones I've toyed with still don't fit all that well, and if PDAs are moving more toward phones the screens will be smaller, not larger, than they are on PDAs now -- and that begins to defeat the purpose of having a robust pocket computer. When I want to use the phone, I use my cell phone. When I want to listen to mp3s, I'd much rather listen to a sturdier mp3 player than to risk dropping my $$$ iPAQ. I want the PDA of the future to do what it does now even better, including wireless connectivity. I'll just get a super small Bluetooth phone to go with it.

fireflyrsmr
08-20-2003, 12:26 AM
having the phone in the pda may be nice but i could never see giving up the pda with a bigger screen. i agree with ipaqman2 that the phone pda thing is great for someone who primarily wants a phone. we may see that we are a minority and that there will be a premium to pay for gear that can really compute but there will be a market. for those of us trying to shed the laptop someday but can't imagine walking around with a slate future versions of the pda are the hot setup. I see a smartphone and a newton size pda in my future. or a spotwatch and a pda.

my family uses the short message stuff on the phone more than voice when we are apart.

PoweriPaq
08-20-2003, 12:28 AM
It would be nice to have all in one. One that would do both. Both in terms of having a cellphone and ppc in one. Having the PPC as your cellphone as well, but, instead of using wired headsets, it would be wireless and as small as your ear. So just plug it into your ear when you have a call, or hook it to your ear.

As for the Smartphone, those screens are small. Kind of worthless to me, that's my 2 cents.

hamishmacdonald
08-20-2003, 12:28 AM
I don't put much stock in these predictions. Just the other day I read a survey in which a majority of Americans said they just wanted a cel phone that made calls and cost under $49 — unlike here in Europe, where the default mobile I was given on renewing my contract has a stupid camera in it. Why? At 36p a picture, I'm not about to start sending slideshows to people (not to mention that I'd be relying on their ability to interpret my meanings).

As another poster said, I don't want my screen any smaller; for me, it's a computer that I need to work on, often while I'm talking to my client on the phone.

Also, I don't want sebaceous ick all over my screen every time I have to answer my PDA.

ryanmjones
08-20-2003, 12:29 AM
I would love to be able to ditch my phone . . .

But to do so I would have to get at least a few days worth of battery life out of my "converged" device while still using it the same amount. Battery life is the main drawback for a converged device as far as I see it. Especially the way we all use our PPC's.

Shaun Stuart
08-20-2003, 12:35 AM
I think that PDA users generally fall in to two categories

A. Personal/Business users - those that buy for their own personal entertainment value (mp3, video and games etc) but also use the business functions as an added benefit.

B. Business/Personal users - those that buy for real business use (email access, PIM and pocket office etc ) but also use the entertainment functions as an added benefit.

I feel that a larger number of people actually fall into the first category and buy a pda for personal entertainment value rather than for real business. I think a lot of these general PDA consumers will move to smartphones as that platform improves and develops and they realise they can achieve 99% of what they want in a device with half the footprint.

I do however think there will always be a market for two devices. As a business person a smartphone (although very useful) is not enough for me.

Current Smartphones are more suitable for data access than data input purely because of their size. I cant see that changing much over the next couple of years. I can actually see myself going for the best Smartphone available for personal use AND purchasing a larger more powerful PDA for business purposes (perhaps a pocketpc/tablet pc hybrid) about the size of an A5 pad would be ideal. When this happens I want a way of easily syncing my information on my smartphone, PDA and desktop.

just my opinion. I am sure there are many other views here.

PBennett
08-20-2003, 12:43 AM
:roll:
Well, it all sounds wonderfully nice and logical but we may be a little ahead of ourselves in this article. As with most of the above posters, the PDA phones are too big and the smart phones (or whatever you all them ) are too small and cumbersome to be used as a PDA.

Yes, it does look like there is going to be some convergence at some point but, to me, the technology is not quite there, yet.

But, then, some of the techno-prophets are the same ones that have been predicting the demise of the desktop computer for years, now, and so far there isn't anything that can always replace it (Nobody is making that 24 inch laptop screen, yet, that will fold up into a 12 inch package.

Okay, so I am a die hard. I want my cell phone and my PDA and my MP3 player and my.... The phrase "Jack-of-all-trades, Master of none" comes to mind.

Peace, Out!

Cypher
08-20-2003, 01:23 AM
It's true: Convergence = compromise... and one of the biggest compromises is the choice between competing requirements. Here are just a few:

A phone should be small so you can carry it everywhere without it being too obtrusive. A PDA should have a relatively large screen so you can see a lot of what you're doing.

A phone should always use very little power so you can always count on there being enough power to make or receive a call. A PDA should have selectable power so you can do heavy crunching on demand.

A phone interface should be as simple as possible. The more complex it gets, the more likely you are to miss a call. A PDA should be able to multi-task easily and the user interface should be very flexible, but necessarily have many more elements than a phone.

There are more, but you get the idea. That's why I believe there will always be a place for the two-device combo. The converged devices are really for someone who wants a phone that does some PDA-type things or a PDA that does some phone type things.

robert_biggs
08-20-2003, 01:36 AM
I thought about converging and just going with a PPCPE, but decided against it. I enjoy doing certain things on a PPC (games, multimedia, web browsing). But I don't want to hold that big and heavy of a device to my head for an extended period of time (I don't think I could ever get used to headsets either). Cellphones are convenient for one-handed operations like quickly retrieving a phone number, or browsing mobile sites. But the screen is too small for doing a lot of the things I do on my PPC.

I currently have a Dell Axim and an LG5350 phone with Unlimited Vision service. I use a Gomadic cable to connect the PPC for wireless at 114K. It's nice, but a pain to have to get the cord out and plug in. In the future, I'd like to get a small clamshell Smartphone with Bluetooth and a PPC with Bluetooth so I don't have to hassel with a cord. For me, that would be the best solution. :D

maximus
08-20-2003, 01:58 AM
I think the day that every Pocket PC is also a phone or a wireless device of some sort is quickly approaching. What do you think?

To me, that happened already. One device for all, may it be a smartphone, or a PPC+GPRS. Problem with smartphone is with the screen, they are so small. For the time being, I will be staying at the PPC+GPRS or PPCPE camp. Those mitac mio 728s sure looks nice :)

jkendrick
08-20-2003, 02:02 AM
I've been waiting for a PPC with a SIM type card that comes with a bluetooth heads for phone use but otherwise is a full (size) PPC.

serious users won't settle for a small screen and a big handset just won't catch in.

IMHO :)

ctmagnus
08-20-2003, 02:18 AM
I've been waiting for a PPC with a SIM type card that comes with a bluetooth heads for phone use but otherwise is a full (size) PPC.

serious users won't settle for a small screen and a big handset just won't catch in.

IMHO :)

iPaq 545xx/55xx (and possibly 51xx) have the slots alredy. Whether the slots are actually usable is yet to be seen. But that and a bluetooth headset sounds interesting. I had never considered that perspective before.

But I'm in the two devices camp. I'm also in the two devices camp as far as audio is concerned simply because the higher capacity audio players hold so much more music but it's feasible to copy three or four albums to a Pocket PC to take on a day trip or whatever.

Pocket PCs are an extremely happy medium for me.

Edit: More in line with the subject of the thread, Linux is in the future of iPaq 3670 :mrgreen:

ian100
08-20-2003, 02:27 AM
The future of the PDA is going to be a device that runs a full vision of a OS and than when you come home, or get into the office you put it into a docking station you get a full size screen, LAN, and printer support. As for Cellphone-PDAs I think that there will be alot of "smart switiching" software that allows you to switch in between networks quickly. In other words the PDA will be dead in less then a decade.

Hugh Nano
08-20-2003, 02:37 AM
I'm looking for future convergence too--but in the opposite direction. Something like this (http://www.techworthy.com/MagazineArticles/TechSector/Scout.htm) (sized between a laptop and a PDA, with USB, video-out, and running a full Windows OS) would fit my needs better than my current laptop/PDA combination. And much better than a cell-phone sized PDA!

Hugh Nano
08-20-2003, 02:40 AM
The future of the PDA is going to be a device that runs a full vision of a OS and than when you come home, or get into the office you put it into a docking station you get a full size screen, LAN, and printer support.

Yes! This is exactly what I mean. Something like the Antelope MCC (http://www.antelopetech.com/)--if only it was available to the consumer.

Not sure if I agree with the rest of your post, though.

mcsouth
08-20-2003, 03:35 AM
I currently have two devices - a Jornada 567 and an SPV smartphone. While there are things that I do with my PPC that I just can't do with my SPV, I am finding myself leaving the Jornada behind more frequently, such as when my wife and I go out for the evening. We can still syncronize our schedules, because I have all my Outlook data with me, and I have access to the content that I may need while on a quiet evening out.

That being said, there is no way I would want to do any significant amount of data entry on the Smartphone - as well as T9 entry works, it is still more time consuming to enter a new task or calendar entry on the phone keypad than on the PPC with Transcriber. So for now, I am maintaining two devices, and being careful how I sync, so that I can keep all the units consistent with each other - uuugggghhhh!

I agree with some of the other posts - a PPCPE unit with a Bluetooth headset might be the ticket - especially if I can have the big screen with full power features in a slim package; something like the iPaq 2210, maybe.....

Paragon
08-20-2003, 03:57 AM
I think we will definitely see advances in converged devices in the near future. With TI's Wanda design in the hands of hardware developers I think we should see some consumer oriented devices with GSM/CDMA/WiFi/Blutooth in the market within the year. Symbol, and Intermec have devices that can handle all three levels of networking now.

I think there will always be two camps, phones, and converged devices. If you are a phone, and PIM type person then Smartphones are going to do the trick and you probably feel that a PDA/phone is to big. Smartphones are not very good for entering any kind of data, and the size of the screen is quite limiting for many operations, but if you don't need to have a big screen why bother carring around such a big device.

However, if you do use a PDA for more then PIM operations a converged device is a great way to go. They are not that big to hold to your ear. You can't get a fair feel for it by holding your Axim, or Ipaq up. The XDA, and Samsung i700 are actually quite small in size, yet they both have 3.5" screens which are standard on most PPCs. The battery life on them is very good. The i700 has a replaceable battery.

When we do see Wanda type devices on the market they will be as full featured as any PPC on the market pretty much, plus they will be fully connected.

For those of you who haven't actually tried PPC Phone Edition device you should....you may be surprised at how they feel, and operate.

One of my favorite lines to use is this...."We are going to rule the world from the palm of our hands."

If your device is not connected it is going to be very hard to accomplish this! :)

Dave

jimski
08-20-2003, 05:20 AM
Well, finally a thread where most comments are pro "two-device". Glad to see people are finally seeing the light. Sorry for the biased comment, by NO Smartphone or PPCPE is going to replace the functionality of;
- a full featured PPC w/Bluetooth & WiFi, multiple input methods, including full size detatchable keyboards, lots of RAM and procesessing power, and...
- a tiny Bluetooth enabled cell phone, light enough to forget you are even carrying it.

Any Smartphone or PPCPE device is a compromise. A device without a touch screen is not a Smartphone, it is a big cellphone. And regarding a PPCPE, I have a hard enough time answering a cell phone call now before the call jumps into voice mail. I can't see myself fumbling with an earpiece each time the phone rings, unless I a.)can use telepathy to know when I will receive a call, or b.)have the earpiece surgically inplanted.

I think Smartphones are a fad that will cost manufacturers lots of money and will eventually meet their demise. Very few people will purchase a second Smartphone (after living with the first) provided there are still alternatives (PPC's and tiny cellphones) available.

Bluetooth, or whatever kind of wireless connectivity is an absolute must between PPC and cell phone, but that's as close as they have to get. With Office Online (ATT) I can access my desktop and see everthing I need to on my cellphone for the very few occasions that I don't have my PPC nearby and really need some essential information.

Come on OEM's, focus on PPC's. Better screen resolution, more memory, smaller form factor with more wirelss options, and Microsft please fix ActiveSync.

Excalliber
08-20-2003, 05:29 AM
And what of the new 2.8 inch screens that were just allowed? PPCPEs could be more conftorable, but still be reasonably good at PDA functions while displaying the same amount of information on the screen. Also, when are the OEM's going to realize that these are just too wide to be proper phones? Minimize the width!!! None of that quarter of an inch on each side of the screen, or even half on some devices.

And if you are going to hold this up to your ear, I can't stress enough the need for a clear screen cover that doesn't cover the app buttons, and a jog wheel. Now add an SDIO slot, bluetooth and some form of a standard connector for which there are already accesories, and it's all good...

Heh, what's the odds of that happening? A company, listen when they design a product? :lol: Two device is the way to go for a while.

SassKwatch
08-20-2003, 05:57 AM
Does this surprise anyone? It doesn't surprise me - converged devices offer many advantages, although I know many Pocket PC Thoughts readers are fans of the "two device solution".
I don't really have a preference for separate or converged devices. I'll just go with whatever I feel best suits my needs at the time.

Currently, my needs fall far more in the pda camp than in the phone camp, so the pda is the device I'm pickiest about, and just about any old cell will do. But who's to say a job change wouldn't change that perspective 180 degrees.

I was a VisorPhone user early on and the 'converged' device had some advantages. But I think before I would jump back into that camp, I'd want to see what a couple others have suggested....a device whose first/foremost priority of design was pda capabilities, but had phone capabilities in addition via a Bluetooth headset. But the BT headset would have to be a *LOT* cheaper than any of those currently available. Plus, I would have to have the ability to use the pda seamlessly while using the phone at the same time.

That's my pipedream for the day. When I *really* get rolling, I still wish for an OQO type device to actually come to market. :mrgreen:

rmasinag
08-20-2003, 06:56 AM
Honestly.....now that bluetooth is coming to convergent devices, its becoming to look attractive.

If the convergent device had the 2200 formfactor with built in bluetooth and possibly WiFi (WANDA anybody?), then all I would require is a Jabra bluetooth headset!

nosmohtac
08-20-2003, 08:11 AM
That's my thought as well.
Look at the current crop of PDA phones, non of them offer a specification anything like as good as the average PPC. It seems they take so long to develop that they are obsolete by the time they arrive on the market.
This applies to all types, Palm as well as MS.
MS smartphone seems to be the worst compromise of all. Too big to be a phone, nothing like the fuctionality of a PPC. I really don't see the point in this, neither it would appear do the US carriers.
Unless there is a major breakthrough, it's seperate devices for me.

I agree 100%. I would love to have an all in one device, but not at the cost of compromising some of the most important features of the main unit. Well, 2 main units. I think that most of these devices are, firstly, trying to be a phone + a PDA. Anything else is a plus, but they can't even get the phone/PDA thing down. XDA comes pretty close, but has a ways to go.

I have been looking at the kyocera 7135, and although it appears to be an awesome device, it is still lacking. First of all I have heard about this device for over a year, and they're just recently available. Secondly,the price is ridiculous, and it's running palm os 4.0. I think the MSRP is around $700 and my local cell dealers are still asking $499 with a contract.

dh
08-20-2003, 12:24 PM
I have been looking at the kyocera 7135, and although it appears to be an awesome device, it is still lacking. First of all I have heard about this device for over a year, and they're just recently available. Secondly,the price is ridiculous, and it's running palm os 4.0. I think the MSRP is around $700 and my local cell dealers are still asking $499 with a contract.
I thought about the 7135 as well. Seems to me that the POS makers are closer to a usable "smartphone" than MS at the moment.
As you mention, the problem is that it's way out of date already and only now becoming generally available. Heck, POS6.0 is soon to be launched, who needs a device with POS4.1? The price is way too high for such a thing.
Even the Treo 600 is going to be a step behind when it arrives, POS5.0 phone about the same time ver 6.0 launches.

nosmohtac
08-20-2003, 01:26 PM
You've got to admit though, the 7135 has a lot of nice features.
Beside all of the obvious ones, I really like the caller id lcd display. They put it on top of the clamshell, so you can see it while it's on your belt.

Even with the drawbacks of price and slow to the market, it does seem that POS is ahead of smartphone.

MonkeyGrass
08-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Why is it, that no manufacturer has tried to run with a clamshell MS SmartPhone? Are they limited by MS' hardware restrictions? Because that seems like the only way I would ever be interested in a "converged" device... Up the pixel density, use the top half of the flip as a full color, 16 bit HiRes screen (maybe 180 x 240), and add an "entry pad" (think POS silk screen area) above the number keys on the bottom side. A small, retractable stylus next to the antennae, and you have a killer SP.

I know, Kyocera and some others have something similar to this is a Palm phone, but it seems like MS could use an existing concept, and REALLY make it work for SmartPhone. The dang things are just too big. And the screens are too small. Add the *option* of BlueTooth headset and wham - I just sold my PPC and T68i! Well, that is, after they have figured out how I can get 4-5 days standby, and 24 hours of talk/PDA usage time on a charge. THEN I'll be selling my current setup!

Excalliber
08-20-2003, 05:23 PM
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C1845/

aroma
08-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Here's where I see the future, a few years down the road. There will be a device, similar to today's PDA, which will be the hub (data, communications, processing) of our personal network. This device can be kept anywhere (pocket, purse, briefcase). You will then have other devices which will provide I/O for this device, all connecting sans wires. You might have a headset, earbud, or even a small dumb handset to provide for you voice communication needs. You will also have some type of display unit, either a very thin separate device, or possible built into the hub devices itself, which will be used both for display purposes and touch/pen input. Of course many other types of input, such as keyboards and such are possible too. This is where I see the future. 0X

- Aaron

MonkeyGrass
08-20-2003, 05:36 PM
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C1845/

Um, yeah, that's great if you live Hong Kong. Although it does answer the question of hardware restrictions...

If that was available in the US, with Bluetooth, it would be amazing, with one added feature - a text entry box!! Sorry, but a 10 key numeric keypad, even with T9, is not appropriate for any amount of real data entry.

It just becomes an "accessory" to your laptop or PDA... Good to use socially, if you don't want to lug the laptop, but not a laptopkiller or PPC replacement, IMO...

dh
08-20-2003, 05:52 PM
While I would love to have a PDA sized Laptop Killer, I can't see it coming via MS or it's OEMs.

As mentioned in these forums several times before, there is more profit in selling XP licenses and Office XP than in PPC software. Same with the hardware, the last thing the PC makers want to do is stop selling profitable notebook pcs.

That does not leave us with many options. Maybe the Palm guys will come up with so much good stuff in OS6 that pa1mOne (haha) or Sony produce a great product. Maybe Linux will be the way forward.

It would be great for a PPC maker to shock everyone and come out with hardware such as Sharp and Sony are making.

Sad to say, it seems a long way off at the moment.

Steveb123
08-20-2003, 10:50 PM
i really dislike having to carry my axim and my cell phone around all the time. it is simply just too much pocket luggage. i looked at local wireless providers to see the convergence solutions available and i must say it just looks rather bleak. there is just too much compromise. i guess i am just going to have to wait and lug my gear until some company (hint hint apple) comes along a creates a solution for this problem.

jkendrick
08-21-2003, 02:18 AM
I should probably elaborate a little on my earlier post. Imagine buying a PDA (IPAQ, Dell, Toshiba, doesn't matter) which is a full function PDA just like you have now. The only difference is some type of builtin GPRS or CDMA functionality and PPCPE as the OS.

Then, with simply a wireless headset of some sort which comes with the device you have the best of both worlds. No compromise on the PDA side and full functionality of a phone. The PDA could even have a camera builtin.

Perhaps some sort of simple handset for those who might not like headsets although that would defeat the purpose a little. The point is you wouldn't need 2 devices.

Abba Zabba
08-21-2003, 06:55 AM

With that said, if convergence means an ever smaller screen forget it.
If it means higher cost for the so called "convenience factor" forget it. If it means yet another proprietary "wave" in the name of innovation, forget it, and finally, if it means blending the mission of several devices, instead of selling compatible, unitized, products I'm not interested.

I haven't tried a SmartPhone, but I can't imagine using a smartphone to the same degree I use my PPC. But I could see the day that the two integrate well together, letting the phone be the communicator and the PPC being the "organizer/controller" and replicating as nearly as possible the power of a real PC.

That's my two cents worth...

Preach it Brother :mrgreen:

Abba Zabba
08-21-2003, 07:20 AM
I have a hard enough time answering a cell phone call now before the call jumps into voice mail. I can't see myself fumbling with an earpiece each time the phone rings, unless I a.)can use telepathy to know when I will receive a call, or b.)have the earpiece surgically inplanted.

I actually saw something about that yesturday. I don't kow where, but I think it might have been Tech Tv. There is a doctor out there that says he can implant a microchip-type device into a tooth. That way you can answer and hold conversations without it being able to be overheard. Also I guess it would be with you all the time. I don't think that would fit well or alot of people but I guess that would be an alternative to holding the phone tto your ear :roll: .

Anyway in keeping with the thread... :nonono: ... I think that the future of my next purchase will eventually lead to a converged device. But when I say future I mean Startrek like future...not anytime soon. Like the handheld type device that they had on the enterprise. Now that would be a awesome handheld.

I am a two device consumer right now since:

1) PPC rule, but seriously Smartphone devices screens are too small.
2) Battery life. Imagine trying to use a device like the WANDA for exteded periods of time.
3) Sometimes i like being disconnected.
4) Have you tried imputing info on a Smartphone :evil:

Anway who know, I guess time will tell. But for the most part two-devices are the way to go for now. :worried:

Philip Colmer
08-21-2003, 04:52 PM
A phone should be small so you can carry it everywhere without it being too obtrusive. A PDA should have a relatively large screen so you can see a lot of what you're doing.

... whilst not being so small that owners have problems pressing the buttons or reading the screen. My wife recently went from a Nokia 6310 to a Sony Ericsson T610 and is suffering. Initially, she liked the phone - the physical size is good - but she really struggles to read the display with its small font, and there isn't an option to increase the font size :cry:

The other drawback to making the phone too small is that the built-in antenna obviously shrinks as well, which means that the phone either has to work harder to get a signal (which means higher battery consumption) or can't get a signal at all.

A phone should always use very little power so you can always count on there being enough power to make or receive a call. A PDA should have selectable power so you can do heavy crunching on demand.

Absolutely! One of my wife's big dislikes now over the T610 is the fact that it blanks the screen. She never had this with the Nokia - probably because it was a monochrome display whereas the T610 is colour, and we all know how much more power that needs.

Part of the problem is that mobile phone operators aren't seeing customers upgrade their phones often enough, so the phone designs are getting wackier with new features that some of us might typically not use.

I would have advised my wife to stick with the 6310 but she didn't like the Nokia BT headset, much preferring an SE one instead but because of the way Nokia have implemented BT, it is difficult to get any other BT headset to work nicely with their handsets.

--Philip