View Full Version : Ethernet-Wifi-Bluetooth-PPC?

Linus
08-19-2003, 09:30 PM
I live just down the street from where I work. I don't have any internet connectivity from home because I don't have a cable hookup and the expense of setting up a phone line for a lousy 56K connection just isn't worth it when I can walk down the street anytime for fast access.

Well, a crazy idea popped into my head today. I could set up a WAP at work (maybe the $10 D-Link (http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?action=detail&dpno=155659#scroll)) and use directional antennae (maybe just Pringles cans) to extend the range on the signal so it would reach my house (800 ft. away, nearly direct line of sight, few obstructions and little interference). THEN I could use ICS and Bluetooth to connect the PDA. Not the fastest solution, but it would get everything talking, and quite possibly for less than $100 (after rebates).

Is this possible, or just a nice daydream?

Kati Compton
08-19-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure about the range. But your company may not be too happy with this... Also, I would be VERY careful about security of the network. Much potential for trouble.

Linus
08-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks for bringing up the potential issues, Kati, but I doubt either will be a problem. My employer is very laid-back with usage of its network, my "office" is 16 miles from civilization, and I doubt any of my neighbors own any Wifi devices, let alone use them to sniff for a signal. That being said, password protection couldn't hurt.

DimensionZero
08-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Hehe, yeah... This is quote possible actually.
I forget how far the pringles cans will extend the signal but 800ft I think should be fine as long as yer construction is good. :mrgreen:

Sounds pretty cool to me! I've wanted to build an wi-fi antenna for a while now but keep putting it off... Let us know how it goes!

Just remember to turn on WEP to fend off the average user. And like Kati said, just run it past the big cheese just in case.

Steven Cedrone
08-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Turn on WEP, use MAC filtering and don't broadcast your SSID...

And ask your employer!!! :wink:

Steve