View Full Version : Laptop Magazine Compares CDMA Pocket PC Phones

Janak Parekh
08-19-2003, 07:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.techworthy.com/Laptop/TestTrack-August2003.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.techworthy.com/Laptop/Te...-August2003.htm</a><br /><br /></div>If you've been looking for a CDMA-based Pocket PC Phone, you have two choices: the Hitachi G1000 phone with built-in keyboard, or the Samsung i700, which looks a lot more like the XDA. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and this article does a decent job discussing them. You might be surprised at their conclusions, though (hint: these guys are from a laptop magazine, so they value certain aspects of PDAs differently ;))

dh
08-19-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm not really in a position to judge, since I haven't used either of these. However, I can't see myself ever using anything that looks as bad as the Hitachi.
The Samsung looks like something I would use at a push, but I'm inclined to believe that a BT phone/PPC setup would work better for me than a converged device.
The only smartphone that really interests me is the Treo 600. Even that seems to have too many issues, especially the low res screen. Maybe pa1mOne :lol: will get it right with the Treo 900 which will probably use POS :lol: 7.0.

HOLLYWOOD_
08-19-2003, 08:35 PM
Size MATTERS !!!! Unless the PPC can pull a rabbit out of their hat, I am switching to the Treo 600,

egoz
08-19-2003, 08:47 PM
I own an iPaq 3900 and Sierra AirCard 555 (from Verizonwireless) and have an unlimited ExpressNetwork (1X network). I use this for my email, AOL Instant Messaging, do some FTP stuff for my site, surf the web, etc. Over the past 6 months this tool (not toy) has become so friggin' valuable to me.

Though, i've certainly been looking at the Samsung, too. But, to be honest, the idea of lugging around such a beast (i go hiking a lot, never mind wandering around cities during the summer) is a big "no-go" in my books. I'd be frozen in feer, especially hiking, to lose something like that or, worse, smudge some mud on it while i'm climbing here or there.

I want something smaller, compact, that i could plausibly fit in my pants without looking too excited in the process.

Enter MS Smartphone...
One day there shall be a clam-shell model of the MS Smartphone (say: Motorola 1000 times and watch the US telecom market resurge). When that happens, all of your DOS-esque phones will go *poof*. And we'll trully start to enter the Era of Convergance. Until the MS Smartphone messiah comes i'm not buying no brick of a phone.

But, until then, i'm left only to drool over smartphonethoughts.com

.rob adams

mccollin
08-19-2003, 08:57 PM
I've used the XDA and G1000 extensively, and the i700 enough to know what it can do. I bought the G1000 just to do a review, with the intention of returning it and using one of the other two. It hooked me. I know that there is not a lot of love for the G1000 here, but it has a lot to offer. The keyboard was a bigger hit with me than I ever thought it would be. Its integration is the best I've seen in a Pocket PC Phone.

The referenced review, however, is a joke. The i700 and G1000 are close enough that you could not pick a winner, without first having a set of personal criteria. Each person's needs are different, and THAT is would drive a decision.

I also agree that the Treo 600 will be a contender, but I've got to try it first.

I'll be posting an extensive comparitive review of the G1000 vs. the other two today at pdaPhoneHome.com

HOLLYWOOD_
08-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Looking forward to your review Mike.

David C
08-19-2003, 11:26 PM
I have played with the g1000, but not the I700. The biggest complain I have and why I would not own a g1000 is:

1. that thing is huge! I really hate to have it as my only phone, especially for a night out. I can't imagin going to clubs, and carry that thing.
2. The camera does not support video recording, nor does it support Microsoft Portrait yet. The camera is cool, but what's the use if I can't show it off as a video phone. I rather stick with my Sanyo 5300, and Canon S400.
3. I wish Hitachi would have come out with a 2003 update. It's kinda funny to see a 2002 product come out after everything has gone 2003. I like to play video. I've tried playing the same video in both ipaq 2215 and the g1000, and the wmv9 in 2215 really is better. Less frame drop.
4. Oh, and other wish list like bluetooth, dual slot, more memory...ect.

shawnc
08-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Size MATTERS !!!! Unless the PPC can pull a rabbit out of their hat, I am switching to the Treo 600,

I hear ya! I had the Treo 300 and LOVED it. It was just a little bigger than I would like. It looks like the 600 is significantly smaller. If so, I'm there.

trachy
08-20-2003, 03:02 PM
I hear ya! I had the Treo 300 and LOVED it. It was just a little bigger than I would like. It looks like the 600 is significantly smaller. If so, I'm there.

The 600 sure does look interesting. I, too, am ready to cross over - though I'm looking more to the Kyocera 7135. I like the clamshell design, which is a huge improvement over their last smartphone.

I can't believe I'm looking to go back to a Palm device. Nor can I believe someone in the SmartPhone world hasn't come up with a CDMA clamshell device in the States.

mccollin
08-20-2003, 08:48 PM
3. I wish Hitachi would have come out with a 2003 update. It's kinda funny to see a 2002 product come out after everything has gone 2003. I like to play video. I've tried playing the same video in both ipaq 2215 and the g1000, and the wmv9 in 2215 really is better. Less frame drop.

Going in the face of popular rumor, it has NOT been confirmed with Hitachi that they won't do 2003. I was told by them that they don't have a concrete plan either way yet. This phone did not come out after 2003 was already available, Phone Edition that is. There are no 2003 Phone Edition devices yet. The go to market time for Phone Edition is much longer, because it must be integrated into the phone by the Carrier, and deal with things like FCC testing, and then get field tested. A much longer process. No two Phone Edition devices have the same version of Phone Edition installed.

Pony99CA
08-21-2003, 02:36 PM
I can't believe I'm looking to go back to a Palm device. Nor can I believe someone in the SmartPhone world hasn't come up with a CDMA clamshell device in the States.
They have, but it hasn't been released yet, I guess. Check out the Samsung i600 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=186)

Steve