View Full Version : Use PPC without ActiveSync

Terminator
08-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Hi,

Is there a way to use your PPC via USB without installing Active Sync?

Would it be possible to install a piece of software on the PPC so it presents itself as Removable Storage?

bitbank
08-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Terminator,
Funny you should ask. I am working on such a project. I am about to release Virtual CE 4.0 with some really cool features. One of them is the ability to use the USB connection without ActiveSync and get a 4-10 times speed improvement over ActiveSync data rates. It will include a friendly file transfer utility and lots of other new features.

Send me a note if you would like to beta test it.

Larry Bank
[email protected] (remove nospam.)
www.bitbanksoftware.com

SHoTTa35
08-18-2003, 04:07 PM
well activesync handles the conversion of files. So copying anything other than MP3s wont work on your PPC. You can still copy files via activesync but the other way is via bluetooth. I can copy stuff from my PC to PPC via sending it from the PC to the PPC or from the PPC downloaded from the PC. Either way it works, Doesn't show up as an external HD but you just go to My Bluetooth Places (or right click the file and choose "Send To") and off it goes.

bitbank
08-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Very few files really need conversion when placed on the Pocket PC. The ones that come to mind are Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Pictures, movies, audio, EXE's, maps, and other data files do not need to be converted.

L.B.

easylife
08-18-2003, 05:58 PM
Does this run on the PPC or desktop? I would LOVE to be able to plug my PPC into other computers (macs included) and have it recognized as a USB drive without installing any software whatsoever on the PC/Mac. 8)

bitbank
08-18-2003, 06:51 PM
The software I am writing requires a server component to run on the Pocket PC and the client on a Desktop PC. It requires the Pocket PC USB device driver to talk to the Pocket PC, but I have written the communication part instead of using ActiveSync for that.

L.B.