View Full Version : Weird Computer Wifi behavior.

g0097
08-16-2003, 06:12 PM
I have a D-Link network set up in my house and I am currently using a D-Link DWL-120+ Air Plus Wireless USB Enhanced 2.4GHz Adapter to wirelessly enable my pc. I had the adapter on my computer and I noticed the speed was noticably slower than my PC card adpater in my laptop. I also noticed I was getting alot of drops from the adapter. Well, I took it off my computer and put it on my desk and...weird enough...it seems faster!!! Am I just dreaming or does where you put the adapter really make a difference?

nice_micael
08-16-2003, 09:06 PM
I did have the ocassional drops that you are describing but then i got so angry that i went out and bought a thing that maked the signal better and since then i had not had a problem :twisted:

GoldKey
08-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Generally, it is just the closer you are to the access point, the better. I guess being very close to the PC could cause some interference. If a little movement give you better reception, take it.

Janak Parekh
08-17-2003, 05:02 AM
In addition to what GoldKey says, if you had the USB adapter under the desk, you'd be subject to the shielding effect most desks have. I've set up wireless for various clients and under-the-desk antennas are seriously hampered, frequently with 50% signal degradation or thereabouts.

--janak

g0097
08-18-2003, 01:04 AM
I did have the ocassional drops that you are describing but then i got so angry that i went out and bought a thing that maked the signal better and since then i had not had a problem :twisted:

Did you get a signal booster or something else for the usb adapter that made the signal stronger? Thanks by the way to the others that replied and gave me some excellent suggestions!! :D