View Full Version : Help with a general synch question.

de8212
08-15-2003, 10:40 PM
I am really new to ppc's, etc. so this may be a remedial question but I gotta ask.

When I installed actice sych for my 2215 it put a folder on my desktop.
Now I know I can put files in this folder and modify them and they will synch up with my ipaq.

What about other items (excel files to be exact) in another folder on my laptop?
I have some excel files in a different folder (ie: C:/Work) for work that I want to be on the ipaq as well but I don't want all of the files in that folder to synch up beacasue of the size.
SO will activesynch synchronize all of this?

Is this possible?

Sven Johannsen
08-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Kind of. The standard Active Sync capability is to sync the files in main RAM My Documents with the folder it created on the desktop. That 'syncing' amounts to copying the most recently modified copy over the older one, whichever direction that is. This is the source of the 'round-trip' issue that is such a problem for some.

A full Excell spreadsheet is converted to a Pocket Excel spreadsheet when it is initially copied (synced) to the PPC. A lot of capability is stripped out of the spreadsheet in that direction, removing the features that are not supported on the PPC. If a change is made to the PPC copy, at next sync, the PPC version, sans all the desktop features, replaces the one in the desktop sync folder. This happens with Word as well. You wind up with a file on the desktop, that has most of the features, tables, bullets, etc. stripped out of it.

Understanding that, in case it changes your desire to 'sync' your spreadsheets, there is a program called MightySync that allows syncing from anywhere on your desktop to anywhere on your PPC (including memory cards). I am not sure if it allows individual file selection, but you could certainly create a 'sync' folder, within your work folder to control which do and don't get sync'd.

de8212
08-16-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all of the info.
What if I put a shortcut to the file into the ppc My Document folder?

Would that synch with the actual file?

And the files I am referring to are basic excel files. Just some formulas, blod text, etc. Not really anything too extreme.

Sven Johannsen
08-16-2003, 06:27 AM
Nope, it'll sync the shortcut.