View Full Version : XDA Owners: Want 63% More Battery Life?

Jason Dunn
08-15-2003, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpctechs.com/xdadiykit.asp?REFERER=PPCTHTS' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpctechs.com/xdadiy...REFERER=PPCTHTS</a><br /><br /></div>Great news from the guys at PPC Techs!<br /><br />"We are pleased to release a Hi-Capacity Do-It-Yourself Li-Ion Battery kit for the HTC Pocket PC Phone Series. Our kits include detailed, fully illustrated instructions and all the tools & components needed to update the component being replaced. The standard battery installed in the HTC PPCPE is 1500 mAH. Our Hi-Capacity battery is 1800 mAH which is a 20% increase in capacity. However, our testing is showing a higher capacity run rate due to some adjustments made to the battery interface circuitry.<br /><br />Based on repeated full charge/discharge cycles on a 64MB unit, the standard battery tested out at 5.5 to 6.5 hours running KeepAlive with the backlight on. Our Hi-Capacity battery has tested out at 9 - 10.5 hours. That is a 63% percent increase! Based on manufacturing tolerances and usage profiles, we are expecting a 25-40% average increase in runtime. The user needs to be aware that installing this kit technically voids the warranty on the unit."<br /><br />1800 mAH!? 8O The normal extended battery is 1500 mAH, and it allowed me to run the XDA for a VERY long time indeed. This battery will be awesome for extended runtime! If you'd like to save 10% off the normal cost of $119 for this battery kit, use the code "THOUGHTS". [Affiliate]

Cortex
08-15-2003, 10:42 PM
sounds great but all their stuff is too expensive

Macguy59
08-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Increased battery life is always good news, but I find it rediculous that a PDA battery costs almost as much as notebook battery.

Jason Dunn
08-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Increased battery life is always good news, but I find it rediculous that a PDA battery costs almost as much as notebook battery.

Why's that? It's a more expensive technology in most PDAs - Lithium Polymer is more expensive than Lithium Ion I believe, and PDA batteries don't have the ecnomy of scale that laptop batteries do. I paid $199 CAN for my laptop battery, which is about $145 US. With the coupon, this is $100, so it's about 30% cheaper than a laptop battery. There is some disparity there considering that my laptop cost me more than 30% over the PDA, but it's not as crazy as it seems when you think about it. :-)

And both of you have to remember you're paying for a human being to custom mod your device - you're not paying for a factory-built product that's cranked out in the 1000's of units.

Cortex
08-16-2003, 12:13 AM
I think its a do-it-yourself kit...

Macguy59
08-16-2003, 01:57 AM
I think its a do-it-yourself kit...

It is indeed.

SiliconAddict
08-16-2003, 10:07 AM
I think Jason means that the battery + electronics are assembled by a real person instead of by some robot or so.

Macguy59
08-16-2003, 03:01 PM
I think Jason means that the battery + electronics are assembled by a real person instead of by some robot or so.

Probably, but i still think it's overpriced.