View Full Version : 2 PPC syncing with 1 PC?

andydempsey
08-14-2003, 08:52 PM
My wife and I used to have Palms that we synched to the same PC without any problems keeping our content separate.

I now have a PPC and she a palm. Still no problems keeping everything separate.

But now my wife wants to make the switch too.... Is it possible to have 2 PPC's synching with the same PC and keep all contacts, calendar items etc. separate? (We actually want to share address books, but nothing else).

eustts
08-14-2003, 09:04 PM
www.kelbran.com

sync manager I think

andydempsey
08-14-2003, 09:06 PM
No. This looks to facilitate a PPC synching with multiple PC's!

I need the other way round, multiple PPCs to one PC

PoweriPaq
08-14-2003, 11:46 PM
I have 2 PPC, one for the wife and one is mine.

I sync both to outlook, but the problem is, her information is sync with mine. So she has all of my contact and calendar information. Not like Palm software.

Kati Compton
08-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Do you have XP? You can create different profiles that way, and I would think your Outlook data would then be separate. Then each of you should only sync when your own profile is active on the PC. I think. This hasn't come up for me, so I don't know for sure, but that's what I would guess.

dwildone
08-15-2003, 02:45 AM
Do you have XP? You can create different profiles that way, and I would think your Outlook data would then be separate. Then each of you should only sync when your own profile is active on the PC. I think. This hasn't come up for me, so I don't know for sure, but that's what I would guess.

Kati is correct- Outlook data is kept in separate files in separate directories by default if you are using XP. I had the same setup working several weeks ago, and only ran in to a few problems. The biggest problem is that the entire computer would freeze if more that one user (XP user that is) was logged in when a PPC was cradled. Just make sure that each PPC has a distinct Profile name and that you are only logged on to one XP account when you sync.

vovillamor
08-15-2003, 03:13 PM

Kati is correct- Outlook data is kept in separate files in separate directories by default if you are using XP. I had the same setup working several weeks ago, and only ran in to a few problems. The biggest problem is that the entire computer would freeze if more that one user (XP user that is) was logged in when a PPC was cradled. Just make sure that each PPC has a distinct Profile name and that you are only logged on to one XP account when you sync.

Actually, all you need to create separate Outlook profiles is Outlook itself...you really don't need XP to create separate profiles to sync two PocketPCs. If you do have XP and already have a profile setup for each user, then I think each user will already have a separate Outlook profile when the user logs in.

If you don't have XP, or prefer not to have a separate login for each user, you can create a new profile for each Outlook user to use. This way, whenever a user starts Outlook, the user will be given a choice of profiles to use...they will simply have to select their own profile, and then have their own separate data that can be sync'd with their own PocketPC.

To create a new Outlook profile:
1) On your PC, click Start>Settings>Control Panel
2) Double-Click the Mail icon.
3) Click on "Show Profiles"
4) Click "Add"
5+) Type a name for the new profile, and then enter your specific e-mail information.
+) Start Outlook, and select the new profile.
++) Sync your PocketPC with the new profile.

As far as synchronizing multiple PocketPC's, here are some other things to consider:

- Outlook running with a specific profile must be running before your sync with a specific PocketPC, otherwise ActiveSync will ask you for which profile to use.
- If you try to sync an Outlook profile with a PocketPC that is sync'd to a different profile, ActiveSync will give you a message about this, and will ask if you really want to sync the two.

Again, all this can be be done without having to set up separate Windows [XP] user profiles or logins. I you already have separate Windows user profiles, then I'd just keep using them...I just found it simpler to have a single windows login, and separate outlook profiles for me and my wife.

I hope this helps. Maybe other members can share their experiences here.