View Full Version : Case for Genio e 550C...anyone? And a few other things.

blip
08-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Has anyone seen a "complete" case for the 550C anywhere? I'm thinking of buying the Vaja one designed for 550G, though I'd *love* to see one complete with camera hole in the back. Not sure if I dare make a hole in the back of the vaja 550G case myself...

Also regarding accessories: what keyboard do you recommend? Stupid me got a cheap new Stowaway W in Japan for about $12 only to find out too late it only supported the old 550 with a larger "cradle slot". At that price I guess it wasn't to much of a loss though. Perhaps a IR-keyboard would ne the one to prefer as the hassle of adapters to make the thing connect etc wouldn't be needed? What about the Pocketop for example?

And last... Does anyone know about Toshibas WM2003 schedule for the 550C? I know the US released 550G probably will be left out but on the official Genio e site the 550C and the 550GD seem to still be a part of the line and at least not yet dropped. Or...?

Peter Traugot
08-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Hey Blip,

I've had my "G" for quite some time, and I can tell you that it is irrelevant what Toshiba is doing in Japan. The U.S. distributor, Audiovox, isn't going to do D_CK! for us. We have been orphaned at an early age. . . .

:(

blip
08-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Yeah... I really don't understand Toshibas (or Audiovox is it?) "marketing strategy" in the US... There seems to be none as long as the customers buy their latest thing it's ok to ditch them a split second later when the successor of said latest thing roars its ugly head... But I believe this have been discussed to death recently so I won't dive in further. :wink:

Think of me a humble Swede living in a country where PDAs and Pocket PC are priced a lot higher than in the US. Though since I'm pretty new to the PDA platform there might be ways of getting Pocket PCs cheaper even here in the cold north that have previoulsy eluded me.

Ahem, anyway...

Since I have the "C" it's already in japanese (I bought it during a trip to Japan) so a japanese WM2003 upgrade is fine by me (and Toshiba have earlier stated that since this model is meant to be sold in Japan only there will be no english rom upgrade). I'm studying japanese and will do so for at least two more years so I have no problem looking up the meaning of some characters I don't know. The real question (to me at least) is if Toshiba want to drop their *entire* previous Genio e line. 550C and GD still seems to be "active products" of their line at least when looking at the official Genio e page ( www.genio-e.com ). Wonder for how long though...

Regarding the case; seems I have to cut myself a hole in an expensive case if I want the camera hole. Maybe I won't... :)