View Full Version : Free Cross Platform Installer from PocketMac

Andy Sjostrom
08-14-2003, 08:14 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketmac.net/pocketpcdeveloper.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketmac.net/pocketpcdeveloper.htm</a><br /><br /></div>Pocket PC development is fun, fascinating and furiosly difficult when it comes to distributing applications to clients using Mac. The guys responsible for Mac synchronization software, PocketMac, have therefore created the first cross platform installation for Pocket PC software. The Installer Kit allows Pocket PC developers to create installation kits that installs their software to Pocket PCs via either a PC or a Mac. The Installer Kit is provided free of charge for Pocket PC developers!<br /><br />"If you're developing for Pocket PCs, you already know they're the most exciting PDAs available today. You probably also know that until recently, Mac users who owned Pocket PCs were stuck -- they couldn't connect or sync at all. That's why we invented PocketMacTM. It solved all of the problems Mac users were facing at the time. Now, we'd like to take Mac-to-Pocket-PC compatibility to a new level and make it even easier for Mac users to manage their Pocket PC by giving away our "Installer Kit" for Pocket PC software. The Installer Kit makes it possible for you to install your Pocket PC software from the user's desktop system, whether that desktop system is a Mac or a Windows PC."

yodacai
08-14-2003, 09:38 PM
This looks good... unfortunately, it seems that the Mac user must have PocketMac installed. I am a user of Missing Sync and would love to be able to install PPC software without finding, extracting, and installing cab files, but not at the expense of using PocketMac. Although, Alex Kac at WebIS is touting PocketMac 3.0. in his developer's blog. Should be interesting!

marlof
08-15-2003, 08:03 AM
This looks good... unfortunately, it seems that the Mac user must have PocketMac installed.

That would be a shame. Of course, it is similar with the Pocket PC, where to install software you need Activesync in many cases, but on the Mac we don't have one standard sync tool. Dividing the market with a Pocket Mac specific installer would be something I'd avoid. But then again, I don't know if it's something that can be avoided.