View Full Version : Proporta 3 in 1 stylus

brece
08-13-2003, 03:04 PM
I recently won the competition for the proporta 3 in 1 stylus for my Axim. Not that I am complaining at all, but does anyone else who has this stylus worry that the thing is going to get stuck? I am worried that I will be pulling out my stylus and the pencap part will come off, that's the part at the bottom opposite from the stylus tip. Then the rest of the stylus will be stuck and I wont be able to get it out.

GoldKey
08-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Speaking of that contest, has anyone gotten their discount coupon yet?

Pat Logsdon
08-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Speaking of that contest, has anyone gotten their discount coupon yet?
Heck, I won the contest, and I haven't even gotten the stylus yet! :cry:

Hx4700
08-13-2003, 06:06 PM
I am also interested in when the coupon that was promised to entrants will be available. I am planning on buying the stylus, but I would like to use the coupon. There was a post from Paul that said he needed a couple of days to get them out. but hasn't that been a couple of weeks ago???
Ron...

GoldKey
08-13-2003, 06:40 PM
But WAIT! If you're not a winner this time around, Carl at Proporta has great news for you! He's decided that if you entered this giveaway but were not selected as a winner, he's going to send you an e-mail within the next few days giving you a special discount toward buying one of these cool styli. So EVERYBODY'S a winner! (Give him a few days, though, because he's got over 140 entrants to write to! And remember, only those people who entered before the deadline get the discount.)

Thanks, Carl and Proporta for this great giveaway!

This was on August 1st, so it was not as long ago as I thought. :oops: Frankly, can't get upset over a delay in a free item. But, I think as ronaldb1 said, there are some who want to purchase the stylus based on the positive press here and held off waiting for the coupon.

QYV
08-14-2003, 05:58 AM
I too have been anxiously awaiting the coupon, as I miss my iPAQ's pen stylus and have been craving one for my Axim. I think I'll just e-mail Properta, link to the page where they promised the coupon, and ask them about it directly.

Pat Logsdon
08-14-2003, 06:50 AM
:oops: Got my stylus in the mail today. It's very nice, and they even sent a packet of mango tea with it. :) I don't think the top would pop off and leave the stylus stuck in the silo - the top/cap is on pretty tight.

SlimDady
08-15-2003, 02:36 AM
well i won also.. I got mine like within less then a week of sending them my address.

I just ran a little test.. i just took off the cap and shoved the stylus into the opening.. it didnt stick.. u can just shake it out if it ever happens.. what holds it in is the cap part so onec u take hat off it basically slides off.

The only thing I really like about the stylus is the tip thats on it.. I find it give a better (softer) feel when writing on the screen

PetiteFlower
08-18-2003, 03:24 AM
Good thing no one else got their coupon because I just deleted all my hotmail from the past 10 days forgetting about the contest. It's 99.9% spam anyway so I barely skimmed before deleting. Hope he sends them soon though!

QYV
08-19-2003, 07:00 AM
I too have been anxiously awaiting the coupon, as I miss my iPAQ's pen stylus and have been craving one for my Axim. I think I'll just e-mail Proporta, link to the page where they promised the coupon, and ask them about it directly.

Sent the mail to Proporta right after I posted this, still haven't heard back. Pretty disappointed in the customer service, but I guess I'll just bite the bullet and order (they aren't very expensive anyway). :(

Hx4700
08-20-2003, 05:25 PM
Well its been almost three weeks since Carl said he needed a few days to contact us. Would a moderator like to get involved to find out what's really going on over there at Proporta???
Thanks...
Ron...

GoldKey
08-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Agree, no big deal if he does not want to do the deal, but some are holding back on making the purchase waiting for the deal. If he is not going to do it, those of us that still want it can place orders.

Steven Cedrone
08-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Have you guys/gals tried to contact them directly???

Steve

QYV
08-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Have you guys/gals tried to contact them directly???

Steve

Steve, did you read the last post on the preceding page? 8O Yes, I did contact them and received no response.

(For what it's worth, I ordered the stylus this morning and included in my order notes the link to the contest and coupon promise - so that makes twice that I've contacted them)

Steven Cedrone
08-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Steve, did you read the last post on the preceding page? 8O Yes, I did contact them and received no response.

Did you send it on the 14th or the 19th???

Steve

QYV
08-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Did you send it on the 14th or the 19th???

Steve

Whoops, I guess that part of my post was a little unclear in retrospect. What I meant was, I sent the e-mail to Proporta right after I made my first post (on the 14th). So it's been almost a week since I sent that mail.

GoldKey
08-25-2003, 01:23 AM
Anyone heard anything on this yet? I sent an e-mail on the 20th and have not heard anything either.

Jason Dunn
08-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Ok, I'm stepping in and contacting Proporta myself. I apologize for Proporta's slowness.

GoldKey
08-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Ok, I'm stepping in and contacting Proporta myself. I apologize for Proporta's slowness.

Don't worry about it Jason, I doubt anyone blames you. Like I said, if they changed their mind, that is fine, but if they let everyone know, then those that would buy it anyway can get on with it.

QYV
08-26-2003, 03:15 AM
Jason, thanks very much for taking the time to follow up! I echo Goldkey - it's fine if they've decided not to give us the discount (and I certainly don't blame anyone at PPCThoughts if that's the case) but it would be nice to know. Although I finally got tired of waiting and just ordered anyway :oops: .

Jason Dunn
08-27-2003, 07:11 PM
I spoke to Carl at Proprota, and you should see something very soon.

QYV
08-28-2003, 05:44 PM
WARNING!!

Do not place an order unless you already have your coupon!

I finally got my shipping notice today (there was a problem with my billing address), and the person at Proporta said that even though I'd asked for the discount as a part of my order, they couldn't give me the discount on that order, since it was already placed. They did offer a discount on future orders, so it seems that it's more of a technical issue than a customer support one, but I still figured I'd note it for anyone here who might be considering ordering first.

GoldKey
08-29-2003, 01:51 AM
When anyone gets the coupon, please post here so we know what the deal is. Plus we all won't keep asking if anyone has gotten it yet. :wink:

GoldKey
08-29-2003, 01:57 PM
50% off! Way to go Carl!

Steven Cedrone
08-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Glad to see this getting resolved... :way to go:

Steve

GoldKey
08-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Glad to see this getting resolved... :way to go:

Steve

Jason/Steve - Thanks a bunch for stepping in on this!

QYV
08-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Me, too! I wasn't expecting such a great discount. Of course, I guess I'll have to figure out how to return the one I already ordered... :oops:

GoldKey
08-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Me, too! I wasn't expecting such a great discount. Of course, I guess I'll have to figure out how to return the one I already ordered... :oops:

Probably not worth the effort once you pay the return shipping.

QYV
09-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Well, there's a happy ending, and I figured it was appropriate to share it here - Proporta did retroactively apply the discount coupon to my order! BIG pat on the back to Proporta for some great customer service!

Jereboam
09-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Ummm....everyone seems so happy to get their discounts that I don't know if I should say anything...I got one of these at the airport in Dixons, and sorry to say that seconds after I'd walked out of the shop, sure enough, the bloody cap came off and the stylus was well and truly lodged in the silo. I marched back into Dixons, and only with the help of a pair of needle-nosed pliers did I manage to get it out again. Instant refund was accepted, and I was told that Dixons would be taking Proporta stylii off their shelves, as this was not the first time. Regardless, I wish you all much better luck. I will be sticking with my boring old plastic stylus.

J

PetiteFlower
09-03-2003, 12:56 AM
I see that you don't even have an Axim, so you can't possibly have had this problem with the same device. Perhaps this is an issue that got corrected a long time ago.

Jereboam
09-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Regardless of not having an Axim, one of the questions was whether it could get stuck in the silo. I answered with my opinion, based on what actually occurred to me with my iPaq. This happened to me about three weeks ago, so it's hardly lost in the mists of time. If the design for the Axim stylus and silo is fundamentally different, then fair enough. If not, then consider yourself fairly warned by my experience.

Is there some Axim/iPaq standoff here that I missed? Am I an interloper here? :D

J

GoldKey
09-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Regardless of not having an Axim, one of the questions was whether it could get stuck in the silo. I answered with my opinion, based on what actually occurred to me with my iPaq. This happened to me about three weeks ago, so it's hardly lost in the mists of time. If the design for the Axim stylus and silo is fundamentally different, then fair enough. If not, then consider yourself fairly warned by my experience.

Is there some Axim/iPaq standoff here that I missed? Am I an interloper here? :D

J

No, but there was a post early in this thread asking if that would be a problem (stylus getting stuck) and someone specifically tested it with the Axim and responded that it would not be a problem as it slid right out even without the cap.

PetiteFlower
09-03-2003, 06:24 PM
No it's not that, it's that the stylus slot on an Axim is very different then an IPAQ, for one thing it doesn't have that spring ejector thing, so a problem with one would not necessarily indicate a problem with the other.

mc_03
09-07-2003, 02:52 AM
I recently won the competition for the proporta 3 in 1 stylus for my Axim. Not that I am complaining at all, but does anyone else who has this stylus worry that the thing is going to get stuck? I am worried that I will be pulling out my stylus and the pencap part will come off, that's the part at the bottom opposite from the stylus tip. Then the rest of the stylus will be stuck and I wont be able to get it out.

AAAHHH!!! That just happened to me today :evil: I have emailed Proporta to ask them what I can do, because the bottom part of the stylus is firmly stuck into the slot... can't get it out.

GoldKey
09-07-2003, 03:30 AM

AAAHHH!!! That just happened to me today :evil: I have emailed Proporta to ask them what I can do, because the bottom part of the stylus is firmly stuck into the slot... can't get it out.

Did this happen with the Dell version or another PDA version? I have not gotten mine in the mail yet to test if this would be a problem.

Jereboam
09-07-2003, 04:58 AM
Ooops. Hope that it is not an Axim, but if it is I'm going to be insufferably smug and tell you all I told you so... :wink:

Joking aside, I sincerely hope you all have better luck. I almost had a heart attack when mine got stuck. Not funny at ALL.

If you have a doctor friend, try asking him for some very thin forceps. I have used these in the past to solve similar problems, they are better than anything else in terms of sheer grip.

J

mc_03
09-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Yes, it is the axim stylus (I was one of the winners.) I tried to get it out originally by attempting to reconnect the top to the shaft, but that just pushed it in furhter- now it is really stuck in there :|

Jereboam
09-09-2003, 02:21 AM
I tried to get it out originally by attempting to reconnect the top to the shaft

Exactly my experience. :!:

J

QYV
09-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Well, I got mine today, and I can see how the problem would occur.

I had a similar pen stylus for my old iPAQ 3600, and I was never concerned because of the spring-loaded ejection - even if the cap of the stylus came off, you could press the eject button and there wouldn't be anything holding the stylus in place, so simply turning it upside down would cause the rest of the stylus to fall out.

But the Axim stylus (as we all know) is held in place without any such mechanism. I'm pretty sure that the notch at the "fattest" point of the stylus (towards the front, where one generally grips it when writing) probably is the primary means by which the stylus is secured in the silo. Unfortunately, this does mean that if the cap to the pen stylus does come off, it will probably be extremely difficult to remove the rest of the stylus.

I tentatively tried inserting and removing the pen stylus a few times just now, and the "grip" of the cap to the stylus appears to be - for now - much stronger than the "grip" of the stylus being held in the silo. Thus, if I'm careful when removing the pen stylus, I don't think I'll have any problems with the cap coming off, because a fair amount of force is required to separate the cap from the stylus, and not much force is required to simply get the stylus out. That said, after using the pen cap frequently, I'm wondering if it may get much looser and begin to pose more of a problem.

It may be that a creative solution is in order - perhaps a small piece of thread taped to the stylus below the cap. The thread positioning could be such that when you replaced the stylus in the silo, a bit of the thread would protrude from the silo and allow for emergency removal. Kind of a kludgey-solution, but something I might look into. Anyone else with any bright ideas? :idea: :mrgreen:

mc_03
09-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Well, here is my response from Proporta:

Hi Mitchell

Sorry for any delay in responding to your mail. We haven't come up against this problem ever before, and so I've been investigating your order further for you.

I've now handed it over to a colleague and will get back to you as soon as I have any further information from them: I'm hoping that it will be tomorrow at the latest.

Many thanks and I do hope we can get your problem sorted for you.
With kind regards
Katie Reid, Sales Administrator - Proporta Ltd.
- - -
Web: www.proporta.com
Tel: +44 (0) 1273 722246 or, TOLL FREE in the USA & Canada: 1-888-331-0803
Fax: +44 (0) 1273 771843

NEW ProBackup is now shipping on MMC card for Palm OS and coming soon for Pocket PC. BACKUP and RESTORE anywhere - no need for a PC.

I'll keep you all updated if/when I get another email from them.

Simon Miller
09-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi,

If any one here has had any problems with the Proporta styli please get in touch. This is the first reports of the problem we are seeing, so any more info we can get will help us put it right.

Please either email me using [email protected], or visit www.proporta.com/contactus for a full list of our contact details.

We're very sorry about this, and will do all we can to sort this as quickly as possible.

Cheers,

Simon Miller, Proporta.com
[email protected][/url]

GoldKey
09-11-2003, 01:54 AM
Simon,

Thanks so much for replying here. It is really great to see companies to take efforts to provide good customer service. I ordered mine on the 1st, so it should be here any day now and I will post my impression.

Simon Miller
09-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi,

We do take customer service very very seriously at Proporta, so if anyone has any problems, I can guarantee you that we will do everything to make sure we solve the problem to your satisfaction.

Thanks.

Simon - Proporta.com

GoldKey
09-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Got my stylus in the mail today. Much nicer than the picture on the site. It seems they changed the design it is black and silver now and seems to be shaped a little differently. I experimented and agree that IF the cap comes off the pen while it was in the silo, the pen would be stuck and would be in pretty deep to try to pull out. That said, the pen cap feels like it fits very tightly. It may losen with use, but right now I am not overly concerned. The feel of the stylus on the screen is different, not better or worse, just different.

mc_03
09-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Simon,

I replied to your email (I didn't realize you had posted here) and basically what I wrote is that there is no readilly available tool that I can think of that would be able to pull it out. The stylus is stuck really deep and firm.

The cap initially was tight enough so that I never thought this would be a problem. But if you take the cap on and off extensively (I was using it as my primary ballpoint pen, its very convinent) it does loosen over time, until the snugness of the stylus silo is tighter than the cap and your stylus is stuck.

GoldKey
09-12-2003, 11:14 PM
Suggestion, put some superglue on the pen cap, push it on, let dry, CROSS YOUR FINGERS and hope it pulls the pen out and did not itself stick to the inside of the Ax.

mc_03
09-13-2003, 07:03 PM
The problem is, the stylus is stuck in far enough so that the cap barely grazes the top... :|