View Full Version : HELP!!! How do I change name of CF Card back?

maikii
08-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Hello, I am a new PPC user, using an IPAQ 2210 with WMobile 2003. I have an SD card in the SD slot, and a CF card in the CF slot.

Before, when I looked at File Explorer, or in "Explore" under "ActiveSync", the CF card was called just that, "CF Card", and the SD card was called "SD Card".

Now suddenly the CF card has changed its name to "CF Card2", although it is the only card that has ever been in that slot. (The SD card hasn't changed.) This causes some problems, in that now pathnames involving the CF card are not correct. For instance, I have music on the CF card. Now the playlists that point towards that music are not correct, as the pathnames have changed, since it now goes under "CF Card2".

I tried renaming it, and taking off the 2, both in File Explorer from the PPC,. and through the Windows Explorer on my computer, when the IPAQ is docked. It wouldn't allow a rename, with several tries.

What can I do to change the name of "CF Card2" back to "CF Card"?

Steven Cedrone
08-13-2003, 01:52 AM
Pull the cards and do a soft reset...

See if that clears it up...

Steve

tedkyle
08-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Also, look in the root directory for a folder named "CF Card". If there's one there, look to see what is in it and what it's for.

I had the same problem, which occured because I reset my device without my SD card in place. When the system needed to use "SD CARD\" path and could not find it, it simply created that path in main memory. So when I put the card back, the pathname was already taken.

maikii
08-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Also, look in the root directory for a folder named "CF Card". If there's one there, look to see what is in it and what it's for.

I had the same problem, which occured because I reset my device without my SD card in place. When the system needed to use "SD CARD\" path and could not find it, it simply created that path in main memory. So when I put the card back, the pathname was already taken.

Yes, there was a directory created called "CF Card" , with nothing in it, while the real CF card was renamed "CF Card 2".

I deleted the new directory, and tried to rename the real card back to "CF Card", but the system won't let me rename it.

I think my problem first happened this past weekend, when I took out the CF card to put in the Ibiz CF radio. I didn't realize that WMP was still running in the background, and it had played a song from the CF card. Now it looked for that card (although I wasn't running WMP) and didn't recognize the card, and created the directory with that name. When the real CF card came back, it was renamed "CF Card 2".

One might think that by version 2003, this OS would be a little smarter.

Well, since you (tedkyle)had the same problem with your SD card, how did you solve it? Or did you? Is your SD card still "SD Card 2"?

For the other writer, who recommended a soft boot, I have done that several times since the problem occurred. Didn't help.

Kati Compton
08-13-2003, 07:57 PM
For the other writer, who recommended a soft boot, I have done that several times since the problem occurred. Didn't help.
But did you do it with no cards in?

tedkyle
08-13-2003, 08:13 PM
In my case, the system was looking for the PIE cache on the SD card,as specified by the registry. So the system created a folder in main memory named SD Card for those files. And when I restarted with the SD card put back in, the system renamed the SD Card to "SD Card2". I couldn't delete the SD Card folder because it was in use by the system.

So I changed the registry to put the IE files on "SD Card2" and reset without the SD card so the system would make an SD Card2 folder. Then I could delete the SD Card folder and restart the handheld with the SD Card in and it was back to being named "SD Card". Then I changed the registry back to put the files on "SD Card". I reset and then deleted the "SD Card2" folder in main memory. Solved.

In your case, you'll probably find some reference in the registry to CF Card being the last directory accessed by WMP. Search the registry for the reference and go from there to figure out the best way to fix it. Once you reset the system with all traces of the "CF Card" directory in main memory gone, the system will name your your card "CF Card".

Maybe there's a smarter way, but this worked for me.