View Full Version : Do not buy Teletype GPS Navigation system for Pocket PCs

bsebi
08-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Teletype is a company that produces GPS Navigation systems for PDAs and Laptops. They sell hardware and software separate or in bundles.

Here is the very bad experience I had with this company:

I made the huge mistake of buying the CF version of this product from Teletype based on the reviews found on Pocket PC magazine.
This product quality is very low. Especially the map software. Here are some of the problems I had:
- GPS hardware takes a lot of time to lock in the possition. If you loose the fix while driving, you will need to stop the car and wait at least 2-3 minutes before reaquiring position. Again, this is the CF version, I did not try the BT version.
- The software creates really bad and unoptimized routes. For example, it was routing me on 680S and ask me to take an exit ramp and then merge again on the same 680S I just exited (it seems that the software is considering ramps as regular streets). This is very annoying and confusing when driving in familiar places, it will be a complete DISASTER in unknown places.
- Maps and current position shown on the Pocket PC are blinking really bad. Heads-up mode is not really heads up.
- Voice directions are completely useless. Not only that it is impossible to understand what is says but many times it will tell you to take left or right when you are already in the middle of the intersection.
- Rerouting feature is as poor as the routing. If you try to reroute while driving, it will give you directions to take left or right on the street you already drive on.

To make things even worse, Teletype customer service is one of the worst I've ever seen. When I called to return the product, they told me I will get X amount, only to find a week later that they will actually refunded with almost $40 less claiming that it was a miscalculation. When arguing about it, they told me that I do not have anywhere written document where it states how much I get back, therefore I am screwed.

The list is longer, but to keep it short, my conclusion is that this company is doing a very poor job.

I will never buy again a Teletype product and I will do everything possible to make sure that potential customers understand what they might get into.

The PDA I was using this product on is a Toshiba e750. I did try all possible combinations and even talk with technical support in trying to make this product work. It didn't!

Sebi

GoldKey
08-12-2003, 11:15 PM
It is considered poor taste to cross post the same information to multiple forums. Especially when it seems you are just trying to badmouth a company (whether they deserve it or not).

Enderet
08-12-2003, 11:28 PM
i hope both your posts get deleted....sheesh :twak: double posting.

Skitals
08-13-2003, 01:08 AM
If it hasnt been too long, why not deny the charge with your credit card company?

Steven Cedrone
08-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Please do not cross-post...

Duplicate thread deleted...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

bsebi
08-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Sorry, as you can see it was my first post on this forum. I was not sure if I post it on the right place therefore I double posted.
And no, I am not trying to badmouth, but I just posted my experiece. Everything stated in my post is true and I do have examples of routes saved to prove it. I do believe that posting this kind of information on a public forum like this will help prospective customers in making the right decision. BTW, it has been already over 3 weeks since I returned the product in PERFECT CONDITION. I still didn't receive a refund, not even the amount that excludes the so called 15% restocking fee.

Thank you Steven for deleting the duplicate thread and again sorry for double posting. It never crossed my mind that double posting is considered a "bad taste" :?

Goldkey, the question is not if the company in discussion deserves it or not, the question is if you deserve or not to be warned about the quality of a product. I did some good decisions based on people's oppinions on forums like this one, therefore I try to give some back. Of course, it's up to you to consider it.

I am not seeking help from anybody as I can take care of my problems myself. The reson for posting is pure informal for whom might be interested in Navigation Systems for PPCs.

Sebi

GoldKey
08-14-2003, 12:49 AM
Again, I am not saying they don't deserve to be bashed, I have never used or even heard of their product before. I currently have the Tom Tom setup and have been very happy with it. Regarding the restocking fee, I am assuming you bought it here http://www.teletype.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

The page does say

"Terms:
By placing an order (or registering a product) with TeleType Co. I agree to all terms and conditions as stated below.

Special prices not valid in conjunction with any other offers. TeleType GPS software, software upgrades, add-on software, and utilities, are non-refundable. TeleType GPS hardware and packages containing software carry a 30-day money back guarantee with a 15% restocking fee, except special order items which are non-refundable. In any case, shipping costs are non-refundable. Products #1402 CDPD Tracker and #1405 SatelliteTracker are non-refundable and subject to monthly airtime charges which are also non-refundable."

I hate restocking fees for products I have no way of trying first. But, the problems you describe sound like defects to me rather than just a poor quality product. Did you try the exchange route before asking for a refund? Did you try contacting support to see if these are known problems? Their tech support area seems pretty comprehensive with quite a detailed FAQ. If these are truly design problems with the product and they won't give a 100% refund, then you should have grounds with your CC company, but if you have not tried to resolve them with tech support first, it is hard to argue those grounds in getting a refund.

From your post it sounds like you received a product, found it did not work properly, did not try to resolve it through tech support (at least you never mention going that route), and are now upset that they are following the Terms and Conditions listed on their site for returns. Hence my original assessment. No offence intended, but I am just trying to give you some other options to possibly resolve this situation.

bsebi
08-14-2003, 01:15 AM
Oh, I get restocking fees too, especially when you return the product in a condition that permits the merchant to resell it without extra costs to them. As a matter of fact, they could very well stick another shipping label on top of mine and send it to some other customer. :)
This time I was so sure about the product that I didn't think I will have to return it. I am not the kind of person that will by a navigation system for a two weeks vacation and then return it!

And yes, I did go thru their support before returning it. That's why it took me almost one week before returning it. I tried all possible combinations thinking that I might do something wrong. They told me to report all the problems found to some email address and they will address them in the future releases. A software upgrade with Teletype will cost about $39. My conclusion to that was that I would become a QA person for Teletype working for free on improving their future software releases. That's not what I expected when I paid my money.
I did read their policies, but I also read the product capabilities advertised on the very same site. Don't you think that if one of these two is proven not to be true, the other one gets cancelled too?

Since you mention CC company, requesting them to cancell the CC transaction ... Wouldn't that have a bad influence on my credit history?

GoldKey
08-14-2003, 01:49 AM
That's not what I expected when I paid my money.
I did read their policies, but I also read the product capabilities advertised on the very same site. Don't you think that if one of these two is proven not to be true, the other one gets cancelled too?

Since you mention CC company, requesting them to cancell the CC transaction ... Wouldn't that have a bad influence on my credit history?

Ethically, they should give you a full refund if their product does not work as advertised. Your credit card company should back you. Be sure to print the e-mails from support showing that they were not able to resolve the problems with the product. I would see no reason this would influence your credit history. I have never heard anyone say it has an effect (obviously if you make tons of frivilous challanges, they might cut your card) and I have protested 3 or 4 charges in my life (all successful) and have not seen an adverse effect.

You may want to send a final e-mail saying you are going to protest the charge if they do not give you full credit since the product did not work as advertised and you have the e-mail from tech support to support your claim. I believe it costs them more to process a protested charge than to just credit you back the money.

karen
08-14-2003, 03:21 AM

Not a lawyer, but here's a brief summary of how CC disputing works in most cases (meaning North America, too).

- Immediately write down all the information you have about your dispute (who, what, when, where, how). This is not a complaint letter; it is a journal of all contacts and promises you've had with the company.
- Notify the vendor that you will dispute if the matter is not resolved.
- Give the vendor a suitable amount of time to resolve (a few business days)
- Notify your bank (that issued the cc) that you wish to dispute the charge (you can't just do this 5 minutes after notifying the vendor).
- Follow the directions of your bank, to the letter, for the dispue. If you try to do something tricky, like not paying your cc bill, it won't work.

Eventially, one of the following will happen:

- The bank will revert the charges
- The vendor will refund your money
- The bank will tell you this is not disputable and you will have to deal with the vendor to resolve the issue.

The better your documentation, the less you make your dispute a complaint letter (just keep it factual), the better you will make out with the bank.

I once just made an inquiry to my bank about charge I couldn't remember and they reverted it after checking into it. I didn't even have to formally dispute it. Other banks I've had to fight tooth and nail on a obviously disptuable charge (I was double billed for the same item and the vendor had acknowledged it in writing but never refunded the money). YMMV.

bsebi
08-25-2003, 06:54 PM
I finally got some of my money back.
Three weeks after returning the device, they issued a refund. Of course, they didn't refund the shipping and 15% restocking fee. #$#%^@#^
I filed a complain with BBB.

Thank you to all the users that provided some kind of support :)

GoldKey
08-25-2003, 08:13 PM
I've never gotten much out of filing with the BBB. I think your best bet is still to file with your credit card company. From what you have said here, you should have the documentation to make it an easy case.