View Full Version : Hitachi SH-G1000 Pocket PC Phone Edition Review

Pocket PC Dubai
08-12-2003, 05:57 PM
PDA Buyer's Guide reviewed Hitachi G1000 Pocket PC Phone Edition, running on Sprint network. There are some sample pictures taken with the built-in digital camera on this phone in the review.

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/hitachi_G1000.htm

Check it out :wink:

Jon Westfall
08-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Well, I read the review and it looks like the unit is very nice, but lacks some of the nice features of the T-Mobile/SX56/XDA/MDA, and obviously the Hitachi people didn't read the complaints of T-mo people.

I mean - it has SD, not SDIO, 32 mb built in, and please - how many of us would realistically want to take pictures with the limited memory space on the unit.

I'm not a big fan of the small built-on keyboards - they make the design look way to busy - which is the impression I get from this unit.

I guess if you're on a CDMA, its really your only option, just not a very good one in my opinion.

Anyone willing to trade their XDA for this model?

Pocket PC Dubai
08-13-2003, 04:42 AM
It amazes me to be honest, why they go this direction?! :really mad: Tell me how many Phone Edition devices are packed with cutting edge features? Non of them at all! Even the current XDA which is only SD, 4k-color screen and PXA 250. Look at the Samsung SPH-i700 which is - in my opinion - one of the best in the market, with built in camera, 64 MB on RAM, SDIO slot, extra extended battery in the box, bright screen (I know people compared it with iPAQ h5450 and the i700 appeared to be brighter, after all Samsung is the world leader in the development of LCD screen technologies) sleek design… BUT it has Intel’s 300 MHz PXA250. I think companies are trying to cut the price by giving up some of the essential features. Maybe there are some technical limitations!

Of all the Pocket PC phones, including the Samsung i700, the XDA II looks the most promising. :wink:

Monty Gibson
08-14-2003, 02:53 AM
Well, it's definitely ugly; I would never carry around that device. I have the T-Mobile now and there is absolutely no way I'd trade in my T-Mobile for any converged device right now. The cameras integrated into these devices are still too grainy for my personal tastes. If anything I'd use them only for a macro function and even then I don't know if it would perform at the macro level.

It is limited for a newer device; which too shocked me. We are into second and possibly third generation converged devices and they still want to issue first generation devices. :idontthinkso: No, thanks.

The new version of the "XDA" is looking awesome. And T-Mobile representative have already told me that it's "...been discussed." It's only a matter of time, either fourth quarter or early first of next year. I'd like to take that Samsung for a test drive... but I'd return to my T-Mobile. I love it.

For the sake of argument, I tried an HP iPAQ and a bluetooth phone last week for an entire week. Two devices, again; no thanks. I am used to having everything in one package and when the newer XDA with the missing antenna and Bluetooth with an SDIO port comes available I think I would have hit my Nirvana. Perfection has reached its pinnacle at that point and everything else are just tweaks.

pjdamoc
08-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Does the Hitachi G1000 Pocket PC Phone Edition have an Irda port? Ditto for the new T-mo. Did not see it mentioned in any of the specs for either.

I still need to use a dial-up Psion Irda modem with my T-mo more than I'd like for a number of reasons.

Even if both these phones had SDIO, I don't think there is even a sd modem even out there yet.

Paul

derfaust
08-20-2003, 07:22 AM
yes the XDA has an IR port?...

i own an SX-56..xda/tmobile/SX-56..are all basically the same device

i lovr that sucker...but i do look forward to the PPC phone editions coming out

another thing about the Hitachi G1000 is that is is only one band....shame shame shame..!!!....lol

the XDA II wil be tri-band...that is so sweet...at present the XDA is either 900/1900....or 900/1800....depending on what country you bought it in...in the US it is 900/1900....i was able to unlock my SX-56 and use it in France and Holland(with purchased SIM cards with pay-per-use minutes))...i live in texas....lol.....

and like homeboy said above...BLUETOOTH BLUETOOTH....di i say bluetooth....and SDIO(can you say, "Wi-Fi'.....and 64Mb RAM...a 400Mhz proc..64k color.....no external antenna......oh... and a camera....

the camera i think will only be 640x480....but that will be cool for little dinky photos that you want to carry around on your pocket PC....and there is a program for PPCPE devices that will enable a picture to come up when some dials you...(my girl loves that one....lol)...so it would be neat to be able to just snap thier picture and add it to the program....

one thing that has irritated me....why is thier no PPC phone edition device with a CF slot?....those things are way to useful.....hmmm...

dig....well that is my two cents...maybe three...l;ol

09-02-2003, 06:52 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that no one pays attention to what consumers want. the pocket pc phones have really lacked functionality. I've had an xda, and the verizon Samsung I-700. both of these units sucked :twisted: Neither one of them was a good phone. the phone functions were an after thought completely. The verizon didn't have a voice caller (it was a third party software that didn't work very well) and as a pda they were just o.k. I currently use an Ipaq 5550 and a t68is. the only real complaint that I have is the price of data service through ATT. Ouch. :cry: Well to sum it up this is my Ideal unit:

* 400mhz processor that is software configurable to save power. (200mhz, 300mhz, 400mhz)
* 128mb ram, with a large flash rom
* SDIO
* very crisp clear 64k color screen
* Built in Bluetooth (absolutely necessary)
* Built in 802.11b (not absolutely necessary, but worth having if possible)
* some sort of cover that flips over or down with a number keypad(I can't underestimate the importance of this. anyone who has used an xda, or I-700 will tell you that the lack of a keypad is unforgivable)
* an expanded battery is definately necessary (the verizon battery was perfect)

Make sure the phone features are there foremost!!! no afterthoughts in this area.

my $.02

inteller
09-03-2003, 07:23 PM
the G1000 doesnt do SDIO and that really sucks....I mean hell the 2032 does SDIO.

morpheus83
09-17-2003, 10:09 AM
This phone is superb. Just bought it from Sprint the clarity is amazing so are all the functions. To know more about the phone visit http://www.phoneyworld.com/handsets/phone.aspx?phone=pda_hitachig1000

fgarcia10
10-16-2003, 01:55 PM
This phone is superb. Just bought it from Sprint the clarity is amazing so are all the functions. To know more about the phone visit http://www.phoneyworld.com/handsets/phone.aspx?phone=pda_hitachig1000

I just bought one too, And I'm really happy with the phone also, maybe because I upgraded from the 2032sp. Perfect...no. Able to do what I want YES!!!

ddwire
10-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Has any one figured out how to use the G1000 as a modem for a pc? I currently have a Sanyo 4900 with Sprint that I connect to my laptop as a modem when meeting with clients. I would like the intergrated device but need to connect to my pc frequently.

Dan

fgarcia10
11-09-2003, 03:27 AM
Has any one figured out how to use the G1000 as a modem for a pc? I currently have a Sanyo 4900 with Sprint that I connect to my laptop as a modem when meeting with clients. I would like the intergrated device but need to connect to my pc frequently.

Dan

go to pdaphonehome.com and look in the forums fot the Hitachi G1000, there is a tread that will show you how to do it. Sorry I don't have the link.

ddwire
11-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I went there and now it works great. Much more reliable connections than using my Sanyo phone.

Dan