View Full Version : PPC Newcomer basic questions

teq
08-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Hi,

after being in the Palm camp since 1997, I've decided to give PPC 2003 a try. I bought a HP Ipaq 2210 last week and am now in the process of getting used to the new platform.

So far I'm quite happy, though I have encountered two problems - maybe someone can help me (sorry if this is rather basic stuff):

- Syncing with AvantGo: I had AvantGo installed on my Palm, and ActiveSync seemed to sync my old account without any problems. BUT: I can't find my channels on the 2210. (yes, I double-checked that I've set up AvantGo desktop correctly). Any hints?

- User defined categories in contacts: I loved my Palm's address book categories. While I managed to move them to my Ipaq, I don't seem to be able to remove them any more. After I've deleted one category from the master list, it still remains visible in the contacts view even though there are no contacts assigned to this category any more. Any ideas how I can remove this category?

And one more question (not really a problem, 'cause I have a workaround):
- Syncing via Bluetooth: Syncing with my notebook via bluetooth works great using the bluetooth manager on the 2210. What I can't do is activating the synchronisation from the ActiveSync panel: The 2210 always tries to connect to my t68i mobile phone instead of my notebook. I can't find a menu option telling it to use the notebook instead. Any ideas?

Thank's for any tricks and hints.

Cheers,

teq

tasmms
08-12-2003, 12:19 PM
I just got my 2210 yesterday. To find your Avantgo, go to Start, Internet Explorer then hit the yellow star on the bottom Tool bar. AS far as your other questions, I have no idea. Good luck.

SHoTTa35
08-12-2003, 12:57 PM
ok... simple answers (it seems)

1: AvantGo is preinstalled and all you have to do (all i did anyways) is check the box in ActiveSync and then click settings when it's highlighted. Type in your username and password there and then store it by clicking ok. When you put the iPAQ back in it should copy that info as well over to the iPAQ and sync the channels.

2: In any application, Calendar, Contacts... open a contact (using contacts as an example) then click the categories section then below on the bottom you'll have the add/delete tab so you can add or remove any categories you'd like

3: When you did the bluetooth wizzard and searched for services available on your PPC (choosing ActiveSync via Bluetooth in the BT manager) it would assign the process a MAC address (address of either the PC or Laptop or whichever) so you probably didn't do it right. In Bluetooth manager, tap and hold the icon for activesync then check the properties, check the properties for another and see if the "location" info is the same (as the phone or laptop)

teq
08-12-2003, 11:27 PM
@SHoTTa35:
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, things aren't as easy as they seem (I guess I wasn't specific enough).

ad 1. AvantGo: ActiveSync claims that AvantGo has successfully synced with my 2210. Unfortunately, checking the favorites section on the h2210 gives me the AvantGo default page - as if I hadn't synced at all. I wonder whether this has something to do with the fact that I used the same account which I formerly synced my Palm with (though this was on a different notebook...)

ad 2. Categories: My problem is that I already have moved all my contacts which had belonged to the category that I want to remove from my handheld to other categories, i.e. the category is empty. Still, I can't seem to remove it. (Interestingly enough, I was able to remove it on my desktop version of outlook, but not on the 2210...) I had migrated my categories from my Palm to Outlook using Chapura Pocket Mirror - maybe this has messed something up...

ad 3. Bluetooth sync: I can perfectly sync via bluetooth with my notebook IF (and only if) I use the bluetooth manager (tap and hold, connect). What doesn't work is using the ActiveSync menu item in the start menu. As I already said, this isn't a major problem - it just seems to be an annoying/amusing inconsitency...

Cheers,
teq

BTS
08-19-2003, 03:06 AM
@SHoTTa35:
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, things aren't as easy as they seem (I guess I wasn't specific enough).

ad 1. AvantGo: ActiveSync claims that AvantGo has successfully synced with my 2210. Unfortunately, checking the favorites section on the h2210 gives me the AvantGo default page - as if I hadn't synced at all. I wonder whether this has something to do with the fact that I used the same account which I formerly synced my Palm with (though this was on a different notebook...)

ad 2. Categories: My problem is that I already have moved all my contacts which had belonged to the category that I want to remove from my handheld to other categories, i.e. the category is empty. Still, I can't seem to remove it. (Interestingly enough, I was able to remove it on my desktop version of outlook, but not on the 2210...) I had migrated my categories from my Palm to Outlook using Chapura Pocket Mirror - maybe this has messed something up...

ad 3. Bluetooth sync: I can perfectly sync via bluetooth with my notebook IF (and only if) I use the bluetooth manager (tap and hold, connect). What doesn't work is using the ActiveSync menu item in the start menu. As I already said, this isn't a major problem - it just seems to be an annoying/amusing inconsitency...

Cheers,
teq

Hi there and welcome to the PPC platform.

1. I found I had the same problem with AvantGo. Simply go to AvantGo's webpage and reinstall the client. It's a bit of a pain but your channels should be fine now.

2. I'm not sure why you can't delete categories. Bring up the contacts manager (on PPC), select the categories view (left corner of the screen), click "more". You should now see the categories and the tab at the bottom with add/delete. Click on that tab and you should be able to select the category for deletion. Make sure that same category is now deleted in Outlook. This should do it.

teq
08-22-2003, 07:32 AM
Hi there and welcome to the PPC platform.

1. I found I had the same problem with AvantGo. Simply go to AvantGo's webpage and reinstall the client. It's a bit of a pain but your channels should be fine now.

2. I'm not sure why you can't delete categories. Bring up the contacts manager (on PPC), select the categories view (left corner of the screen), click "more". You should now see the categories and the tab at the bottom with add/delete. Click on that tab and you should be able to select the category for deletion. Make sure that same category is now deleted in Outlook. This should do it.
@BTS:
Thank's for your answers. I'll try your AvantGo tip as soon as my H2210 returns (or rather: a new one arrives) - I had discovered a faulty pixel after having installed my trusty SplashPhoto. BTW (hint for other former Palm users): SplashPhoto PPC works with the Palm registration code - pretty cool policy.

Concerning my categories: I did delete the category in the categories view. And I have no contacts left in this view (empty list in Pocket Outlook). Still, my category view list displays the category (e.g. "Privat (not in category list)". I suspect that this might have something to do with the fact that I converted my Palm's contacts to Outlook via Chapura... Anyway, it's quite a nuisance, especially because PocketOutlook displays less category entries in the view selection than my Palm did (which meens you have to go via the "other categories" dialogue).

Cheers,
teq