View Full Version : In Wireless XP Hell Right now...

Jason Dunn
08-12-2003, 05:36 AM
Ok, I have a problem that I can't quite seem to fix. My brand new Fujitsu P5010D is performing wonderfully, but there's a problem with the wireless network access. The problem isn't getting on - the problem is STAYING on. I'm picking up three wireless networks within range - this laptop is much more powerful than my WiFi PCMCIA card. I've connected to my preferred home network, put in the WEP key, etc. I have access. Then after a few minutes, Windows XP will pop up a window saying "There are other wireless networks within range" and it will punt me off the network and give me a choice of the three networks again. The problem is that even though my home network is at the top of the preferred network list, it doesn't seem to "stick".

I've been using WiFi for a while now and have never run into this problem. I can't seem to find a solution to the problem either - Google is not my friend right now. :| I've even tried going into the advanced settings and disabling the "Use Windows to configure my wireless settings" box, but that only results in me being able to connect to nothing at all.

This laptop is amazing, but this one issue is really frustrating me! Any tips on how I can get my preferred network to stick?

Jason Dunn
08-12-2003, 06:29 AM
Hmm - I may have solved my own problem I deactivated 802.1x authentication, and it seems to be locking in now. Crazy! Anyone know why that's happening?

WyattEarp
08-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Do all your Wifi devices have the latest 802.1x authentication protocals? If not they may need to be updated or certificates may need to be checked or created. That's all I could think of this time of day.

FredMurphy
08-12-2003, 10:56 AM
I'm not entirely convinced that the Intel wireless software for their 2100 wirless LAN adaptor (that's part of the Centrino package) is all that stable.

With my Vaio laptop, if I use the latest firmware for my D-Link DWL900-AP+ access point it causes the Intel drivers to frequently blue-screen. No idea why this combination is unstable or how much is down to D-Link, but Intel should at least handle the problem better!

If I use earlier firmware for my AP it doesn't crash, but it's now flaky enough that I can't wireless ActiveSync. (I know this is the weak point as ActiveSync is suddenly fine if I cable-in my laptop.) Browsing, etc. is OK but I do get the occasional disconnect and reconnect.

Tried switching off WEP, 802.11x, changing channels, etc. No difference.

Jason Dunn
08-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Do all your Wifi devices have the latest 802.1x authentication protocals? If not they may need to be updated or certificates may need to be checked or created. That's all I could think of this time of day.

Yeah, it turns out that's what the problem was - once I turned off 802.1x, it stayed connected. I should have known better - I know that my MN-500 doesn't support 802.1x yet. :roll:

Jason Dunn
08-12-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that the Intel wireless software for their 2100 wirless LAN adaptor (that's part of the Centrino package) is all that stable.

Then I'm happy that I didn't get the Intel chipset. ;-) I'm using a P5010D, which is 802.11b/g, and thus not an "official" Intel Centrino.

Janak Parekh
08-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Yeah, it turns out that's what the problem was - once I turned off 802.1x, it stayed connected. I should have known better - I know that my MN-500 doesn't support 802.1x yet. :roll:
They won't support 802.1x anytime soon, either. 802.1x is pretty complex and usually needs a server to hand out the keys.

--janak