View Full Version : Database with color photos?

mobi one
08-11-2003, 10:41 PM
looking for a database app that can encorporate color photos and text fields.
I Like hanDbase for the huge downloadable library but doesn't seem to do this. Any work-arounds known or other database suggestions?

Thanks

famousdavis
08-13-2003, 02:40 PM
I use SprintDB Pro v1.7a and am well-pleased with it overall. It seems that all PocketPC-based database programs suffer from severe limitations when their based upon Microsoft's ADOCE (ActiveX Data Objects for CE, I think?). Still, I sampled all the major players for PocketPC databases and found SprintDB the easiest to use and most intuitive -- especially when building forms for the PocketPC platform.

Anyway, although I haven't used this feature, SprintDB does permit the creation of a form with a "Picturebox" control. Editing the "Picturebox" allows you to specify a location on your device for the picture you want -- .bmp, .jpg -- and then that picture will appear in the form.

What you CAN'T do -- again, from what I can tell although I haven't actually tried to do this -- is store pictures inside the database, or use the form to paste in a picture and have it stored either in the database or outside the database in the file system.

So, it looks like you can insert a static photo on a database form, but that static photo isn't really part of your database data -- it's just for show on the form, much like a static icon might be used on a form.

Certainly, any database program can easily enough handle text fields, so that shouldn't be of concern to you.