View Full Version : Restore PPC2002 PIM db's to PPC2003.(??)

SassKwatch
08-10-2003, 10:23 PM
As a result of some power/charging problems with the old(?) 5455, I now find myself with a new 5555.....which leaves working with a WM2003 device now.

Would I be safe in restoring PIM databases created via backup on the 5455 to the new 5555? Have there been any underlying db schema changes to the PIM db's for WM2003 that would make this unsafe to do?

The reason I'm considering this is because I only have half a brain.:) Before I did a hard reset on the 5455 and returned it to CompUSA, I did do a full backup, but neglected to sync with the desktop. As I know I had made changes on the PPC that hadn't been synced to the desktop, my most current data is now in the backup file.

SHoTTa35
08-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Well wouldn't your PIM info be in outlook which is where the 5455 got it from?

SassKwatch
08-11-2003, 12:27 AM
Well wouldn't your PIM info be in outlook which is where the 5455 got it from?
The large majority of it would be there. But changes had been made on the device since the last sync that had yet to make it to Outlook on the desktop. Ergo, the latest & greatest info was on the device...not on the desktop. Which means the most current is in the latest backup, not in Outlook.

JonnoB
08-11-2003, 12:31 AM
Sounds dangerous.... let us know if it worked or it hosed your database :wink:

SassKwatch
08-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Sounds dangerous.... let us know if it worked or it hosed your database :wink:
Desparate times require desparate actions. :)

I figured since the unit was brand new and I had nothing in it, I had nothing to lose by trying. If it screwed things up, at least I wouldn't waste the best part of a day rebuilding things from scratch.

So far, it seems to have gone fine. After the restore, I did find a few Tasks that had priorities set to 'High' that I don't *think* I would have set that way originally, but could be wrong. And that's the only 'issue' I've run across thus far.

Agree that it sounded like an iffy idea. But from everything I've read about WM2003, it sounded like their were very few (any?) changes to the capabilities of PIM stuff. So, I sorta rationalized there must not be much change to the underlying db schema for those items. So far, looks like I got lucky with that rationale.

JonnoB
08-11-2003, 06:43 AM
Desparate times require desparate actions. :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Actually, this migration should be automatically supported in moving one device to another. Not always is a host PC system going to be available or even used.