View Full Version : SPB Pocket Plus vs. Battery Pack 2003

Jason Dunn
08-09-2003, 11:12 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobileslash.com/article_view.php?fldAuto=8&faq=3' target='_blank'>http://www.mobileslash.com/article_...fldAuto=8&faq=3</a><br /><br /></div>"When adding a today plug-in there are definitely two main things to keep in mind when deciding which ones to use. The first is eye appeal. Is it clean, can you glance at the plug-in and tell you what you need to know or do your eyes get lost in the clutter? Are the icons smooth, clear and the right size? The second is usability and the efficiency there of. Does the plug-in contain the added options that you want? Are the settings easy to manipulate and is it easily customizable. If you use Pocket PC 2003, are all the features compliant? And basically, does it suit your needs?<br /><br />Today we are putting the two big guns in today screen plug-ins HEAD to HEAD: Omega One's Battery Pack 2003 v5.0.6 and SPB's Pocket Plus v1.3. I've got a review full of screen shots today for you because I strongly believe that 90% of your choice between these two products will be based on what you find visually pleasing. I performed this review using my Ipaq 2210 running Pocket PC 2003 of course and as an added note, I ran WisBar Advance sometimes during this review as it is a popular application out there and one that I prefer to use."

rpommier
08-09-2003, 11:56 PM
I've been using Battery Pack for awhile now... I've had it on 3 PDA's...

- Jornada 565
- Ipaq 3955
- Ipaq 2210

No problem on most except, I think there may be problems with some apps on my 2210. I've noticed that I get intermittant hang-ups. With BP, also I've noticed it won't close Conduits Pocket Player without hanging. Sometimes it doesn't start Pocket Player either. Strange, anyone else get that?

I deleted BP and loaded Pocket Plus and don't have this problem. I'll tell you that I don't like the way PPlus has the program buttons on the Today screen, it looks sloppy. I wish it were seperated like BP.

I'll continue my trial on PPlus, maybe by then BP will have whatever causes PPlayer to hang and not close or start at times...

BGinWA
08-10-2003, 03:41 AM
Why do you have to pick one? While I have not upgraded to the newest version of battery pack, I have been using both products for some time.

I use the space management functions of battery pack, and plus for all of it's functions.

My biggest complaint about plus is the wasted space on the today screen when you have multiple lines of shortcut icons.

Jerry Raia
08-10-2003, 03:53 AM
Why do you have to pick one? While I have not upgraded to the newest version of battery pack, I have been using both products for some time.

I use the space management functions of battery pack, and plus for all of it's functions.

My biggest complaint about plus is the wasted space on the today screen when you have multiple lines of shortcut icons.

I agree, I have both of them, they are cheap to buy and when I get tired of one I switch to the other

Jeff Rutledge
08-10-2003, 04:21 AM
Ditto here. I own registered copies of PocketPlus, BatteryPack and PowerLevel.

I often use two at a time for different things, or sometimes I switch as I am (as Mayor Quimby would say) a "fickle mush-head." :mrgreen:

dh
08-10-2003, 04:51 AM
I've used Battery Pack since the day I got my Axim.

Because I like to keep my screen uncluttered, I don't display all the battery and memory information.

I use the program bar, set for two lines plus the date gives me just the right amount of icons.

The task switcher is really helpful as well.

I use Journal Bar too, the weather display is the other thing that lives on my today screen.

Pocket PC Dubai
08-10-2003, 08:57 AM
I favor Battery Pack because of its appearance and general design, and I don’t need the option in pocket IE to open multiple windows using Pocket Plus. I already have MultiIE :wink:

Anthony Caruana
08-10-2003, 11:59 AM
I haven't used Battery Meter but have used Pocket Plus for some time

My Today Screen has just 3 plugins; Pocket Plus, tAgenda and Bible Verses. These 3 pretty much cover all my immediate needs

WyattEarp
08-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Both of them have their strengths but to add to the mix I also use Pocket Backup Plus for the more detailed memory management functions.

beq
08-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Ditto here. I own registered copies of PocketPlus, BatteryPack and PowerLevel.
Me too! :mrgreen:

Tek
08-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Hey guys, it's Matt fro MobileSlash. I guess i never really thought about using them both together... Of course I did to write the review but. I'm not really sure what PocketPlus can do for me that Battery pack can't right now. Yes, the PPC2k3 bug fix, but i have the hotfix program. And then there is the repeating alarms... but i conveyed in the article i'm not a big user of alarms as it is. The closing applications thing is a little different and even though i prefer PP's simplistic way of doing this, i use WisBar, so that's moot. Other than that i think it comes down to a visual preference.... And i've deffinately switched which one i prefer a couple times, i guess it just so happens that right now i prefer the way Battery Pack looks, but i guess it's always great to have options! Thanks for reading the review guys, i hope you liked it. I'm currently working on an Agenda Fusion vs Pocket Informant review too. Those programs are a little more involved so it might take me a lil while to finish them. But in the meantime i have reviews coming of multiple case makers, pda panache styli, screen protectors and more, so keep checkin back. And thanks Jason for linking w/ us, i love your site too!

Enjoi.
-Matt

mmidgley
08-10-2003, 07:34 PM
MultiIE does not work on PocketPC 2003. :cry: That and the fact that Peter has not returned my email :evil: about whether he'll be updating it makes me wonder if I should have bought PPlus instead of BP2003.

Friends at work using BP2003 say the alarm enhancements just don't work. I haven't tried them yet. I noticed that some apps won't load when using shortcuts in the Program icons--I have to specify the exact .EXE file manually (not a big deal, but kinda annoying). Since I moved from a 3650 to a 5555, the today plugin backlight slider in BP2003 now works, but doesn't let you select backlight off (strange).

I generally like to test each app and them buy one (no money tree growing in my yard). In this case I didn't do that because those guys at work seemed to like BP2003 despite some troubles (also since I bought it on the 'test drive a lexus and get $50 at handango deal'--I later bought a Mazda 6 for $15k less than the lexus) Next time I'll check all the competition more carefully, even if its a freebie for me. Hopefully BP2003 gets some important updates, otherwise maybe I will have to get out my wallet...

m.

orangehat
08-10-2003, 08:23 PM
i own both but use Pocket Plus. Both are cheap enough so I bought them both, though I will admit Battery Pack gets better with each release.
--
orangehat

Terry
08-11-2003, 02:49 PM
I use onlly Pocket Plus...even though repeating alarms still don't work on WM 2003. I own Battery Pack but stopped using BP and Journal Bar when I learned the developer was using Web content in Journal Bar without permission.

jkendrick
08-11-2003, 07:15 PM
I use onlly Pocket Plus...even though repeating alarms still don't work on WM 2003. I own Battery Pack but stopped using BP and Journal Bar when I learned the developer was using Web content in Journal Bar without permission.

I'd be careful saying that if I didn't have proof in hand. :!:

Sunnyone
08-11-2003, 10:33 PM
I've got Plus and Battery Pack. I just got Plus last week, mainly for the features (with my $5 Handango coupon) so the price was right. I'll probably use both.

Terry
08-12-2003, 05:16 AM
I'd be careful saying that if I didn't have proof in hand. :!:

I do, at least with regard to one site in particular, according to a reliable source at the site.
0X