View Full Version : Looking for an Inexpensive iPAQ Folding Keyboard?

Jason Dunn
08-09-2003, 09:38 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bestoptionsdirect.com/asp/product.asp?product=4974&ph=search&keywords=ipaq&recor=1&SearchFor=any&PT_ID=all' target='_blank'>http://www.bestoptionsdirect.com/as...r=any&PT_ID=all</a><br /><br /></div>"Improve your productivity with this handy foldable keyboard. When folded it's small and storable, but helps you type in your big ideas. The standard layout allows you to effortlessly take notes, email or write reports. It's great for entering a large amount of data quickly. When not in use the keyboard folds up into an ultra-small package for easy portability.<br /> <br />• foldable and storable <br />• standard layout <br />• compatibility: iPAQ 3800, 3900, 5400 series"<br /><br />They're selling for $34.95 and as of this writing they had 192 remaining.

bodstrup
08-09-2003, 11:21 PM
I have one of these - bought for much more, around USD 100. I do not like the keys, they require a rather hard press and the space bar is especially troublesome.

I have to hit it hard in the left side in order to generate a space - As I like to touch type, this often causes several missing spaces between words and time consuming editing.

There also appear to be no way to add national lanugage characters (like the three Danish extra letters) to the keyboard layout.

I would look elsewhere or at least try out the keyboard before buying.

Regards
Michael.

Willmonwah
08-09-2003, 11:38 PM
I'm looking at the keyboard now, and it spans the length from the "C" key to the "N" key, so I agree with bodstrup and am trying to adjust to using my left thumb. Also, if anyone is concerned with branding aesthetics, the one I got had an HP logo on it (not compaq).

Otherwise, it's delightlyfully compact. I just couldn't wait any longer for the XT. (...watch ThinkOutside release it on Monday out of spite :wink: ).

droppedd
08-10-2003, 02:11 AM
does it work with the 2210?

Wallet Boy
08-10-2003, 02:49 AM
The part number is the same as the keyboard listed for the 2200 on hpshopping site. I ordered one due to this. When it arrives I'll find out for sure!

Willmonwah
08-10-2003, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I have a 2210, and it works with the keyboard. What I have to do is adjust the height of the stand so it is flush with the surface. I think this is because the other iPAQ's are thicker.

Pocket PC Dubai
08-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Great to know that it works with h2210 I wonder if it works also with 1940! I have this keyboard and I am using it but not very often, however it come very handy and very functional when you utilize it, it is a lot of fun! :wink:

dma1965
08-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Great to know that it works with h2210 I wonder if it works also with 1940! I have this keyboard and I am using it but not very often, however it come very handy and very functional when you utilize it, it is a lot of fun! :wink:

I do not think it will work with the 1940 because, if I am not mistaken, though the connector is the same, it is flipped 180 degrees on the 1940 for God knows whatever reason. :evil:

Paul
08-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Are there reviews for this KB?

Willmonwah
08-10-2003, 04:15 PM
I'd love to do a review, but I'm in a hell hole of work that I've waited til the last minute to do. I'd have to comment that it's almost a mechanical wonder. You start out with the keyboard split into three parts, the middle is hidden beneath the left and right portions. When you pull the left and right sections out, the middle pops up and you then push the left and right portions back inwards to lock the keyboard. The action has a particularly intricate, but like clockwork feel. Therefore it is not extremely sturdy as you'd probably guess. There are three "flaps" to this keyboard. The after pressing the unlock button, you lift the main flap up to reveal the compacted keys. then the silver base that says HP on it is eased into position by the spring-loaded stand, which roots the main flap to the base. The main flap and the stand together form (really a single flap with a hinged, swing out stand) together support your PDA. The connector can be folded up (quite sturdy).

This is where the issues start (albeit not unacceptable). The connector has only two main positions. Up and down. The down has it flush with the keyboard, ready for storage. The up position is angled so the PDA, when connected, rests against the main flap, which bolstered by the stand, is rooted at the base. Just to reiterate, the base, the main cover and the keyboard itself are all hinged together.

The stand can be adjustable (I'm not sure if this is meant to be), it's range of position being "locked open", locked closed, and anywhere in between. Imagine a ladder where the bottoms of the legs are fized to the ground, but can slide open to lower the height and close to raise it. When it's at the widest position, it is most stable, and when narrowly separated, is less so. When not in the open and closed positions, it relies on friction to hold it stably. This is suficient on a flat surface.

With the 221X connected, there is a small gap between the stand apparatus and the PDA, as the connector is strong enough to hold it up! So you have to adjust the stand to meet the PDA. If not, the weight of the PDA will cause the whole keyboard to raise a little bit, and can cause an annoying typing experience. I don't see this as being a prohibitive issue, as the issue is in the angle the connector opens up to.

How about the keys? Most of the regular keys (letters, numbers, and symbols) have the same typing surface as a regular keyboard. The only lacking thing is the gaps between the keys and the special keys like the SPACE BAR, which is about 61% the length of a regular space bar. To make room for the arrow keys, the right shift key is halved in size and the right windows and right-click button are thrown out. (Compared to my keyboard). There is a num-lock as on notebooks.

Function keys: Nice use of space. Functions that can be accessed when holding down the Fn button include the Esc, off, ok, pg up dn left and right, iTask, and most of the pocket office suite. Of course, there is a start button.

Software: The software loads fine, the cd has the latest version, 1.6 and allows you to define the number keys as additional app. launchers when pressed with the Fn key. Other functions you can control: Enable/disable, tap sound :wink: key repeat delay and rate.

Adjustments you'll have to make asides from the missing gaps between the keys:
1) Use your left thumb to space, as the right side of the spacebare was chopped to make space for the ctl alt and del. buttons.
2) Be careful when pressing the shift, which is further to the right, as you'll hit the up arrow.

Conclusion: I like it alot. It allows a whole new familiarity when using office, as the highlighting and paragraph jumping shortcuts work (while redo, justify shortcuts do not). When open (and adjusted :roll: ), it's pretty flat on the table surface. I love the way it opens and closes, while not as neat as the one button press fluidity of the XT, but rather impressive engineering. I can't do a real comparison of the weight, but it's about the same as a 2210. Its also nice you can charge your PPC when typing. Also opens up possibilities like 1st person shooters :). I haven't tried it with any though.

One thing I'd change: I'd lower the angle the connector opens too. Saves the time spent adjusting the stand.

OK, I've spent the last 30 (now 50) minutes doing this.... I'm in deep trouble.

edited multiple times (particularly the time spent meter)

tmoth
08-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Here is a thread on this keyboard at Brighthand:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85860

Here are the latest drivers from HP for the keyboard:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp...000/SP24852.exe

Willmonwah
08-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Sorry, the drivers that came on the CD were version 1.67, not 1.6.

droppedd
08-10-2003, 05:50 PM
thanks for the review, Willmonwah... Pretty comprehensive. I ordered mine yesterday; this has reassured me somewhat :).

droppedd
08-12-2003, 05:55 PM
one pretty nifty thing no one has mentioned: the keyboard has a pass-through power port, so you can charge your iPaq while you type. Pretty neat.

got my refurb one today; looks to be in good shape.

Willmonwah
07-18-2004, 04:39 PM
I thought it would be appropriate to mention that the keyboard is fairly fragile. I've killed a lot of keys by "unfolding" the keyboard a bit to rigorously, and tearing the ribbon wire that connects to the keys. I think I'm going to replace it with one of these (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29058&highlight=stowaway). Of note, they do say that you have to shave off a bit of the plastic on the connector for the 221X series.