View Full Version : Emulator horror stories?

ImPAQing
08-09-2003, 12:57 PM
I've noticed several emualators (C64, Atari, Coleco, etc.) out there for PPC. Have any of these been known to trash your handheld? I'd like a little heads-up before I install any of them.

flux2k
08-09-2003, 02:58 PM
The worst thing that could happen is that you'd have to do a soft reset after locking up your ppc. I'd excercise the same caution with emulators as you would with any other program that you're installing on your ppc.

Bob Anderson
08-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Over the course of my PPC experience, I've used two emulators, the MAME program to run arcade games and the Apple II emulator. Neither of these caused any problems with my Pocket PC.

I think you are pretty safe... but as always... if you are a bit uneasy I strongly suggest you backup your device right before the install so that if something does go wrong you can do an easy restore.

ImPAQing
08-10-2003, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys. Soft resets I can handle. Bob, I too cut my teeth with a Sharp Wizard.

ryanmjones
08-13-2003, 06:01 AM
How would one "crack" the original games to play on one's PPC? I understand how an Emulator works, but how do you get the games on?

Kati Compton
08-13-2003, 07:25 AM
How would one "crack" the original games to play on one's PPC? I understand how an Emulator works, but how do you get the games on?
For console machines, you copy the ROM files to the PPC. For machines like the 64 and Apple II, you copy the programs themselves.

It should be noted, of course, that legally one should only download ROMs/programs that they actually own. And that while these ROMs and programs can be searched for on the net, we cannot post links to these files here.

stmfuller
08-13-2003, 02:44 PM
It should be noted, of course, that legally one should only download ROMs/programs that they actually own. And that while these ROMs and programs can be searched for on the net, we cannot post links to these files here.
I was actually under the impression that the having the ROMs (ripped from carts or dled off the internet) are in breach of the end-user agreement. Same as the whole "keep it 24 hours, if you have it longer it's illegal". It's an "old-wife's tale".

Neither here nor there.

I've used/currently using an NES emulator. It's really a pain, and I've had to restore more then once since it crashed my PPC. Not good for long sessions at all. :(

I really wish that Nintendo, Sega, or someone that holds some of the really cool licences would make PPC ports. I would gladly pay if they would do that.

Kati Compton
08-13-2003, 07:43 PM
I was actually under the impression that the having the ROMs (ripped from carts or dled off the internet) are in breach of the end-user agreement. Same as the whole "keep it 24 hours, if you have it longer it's illegal". It's an "old-wife's tale".
May be true. Not sure. But I would guess that original NES carts did not come with that complex a EULA.

flux2k
08-13-2003, 10:59 PM
I've used/currently using an NES emulator. It's really a pain, and I've had to restore more then once since it crashed my PPC. Not good for long sessions at all.

I've played all the way thru SMB3 with no problems at all - which emulator are you using? PocketNester has been very stable for me. PocketSNES on the other had needs soft resets quite frequently.

stmfuller
08-14-2003, 06:09 AM
I've been using Pocket Nester.
My problem is that on occasion, it will totally lock up on me forcing me to do a reset...of course when I do that, it dies...

i get the feeling that it had to do with icbar though (Frames where better before the bar, etc). When I uninstalled Icbar, things have been fine since.