View Full Version : Unlimited GPRS Tmobile for $10 a month - Got it working!

FlyPenFly
08-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Hooked up my 2210 via Bluetooth to an Ericsson R520m and got awesome speed in Vegas via Tmobile Unlimited Tzones plan. Around 56k dial up for downstream.

It was amazing checking my IMAP email in the car... What I ESPECIALLY liked, was when I was at Fry's a big computer retailer, I got to check through pricewatch the current prices for a P4-2.4c and a Radeon 9700 AIW online through this combo. Since it was bluetooth, I just had the phone stay in my pocket while I messed around with my ipaq. The reception on this thing btw is considered by most of the phone freaks to be best of class which is kind of funny because they released this phone over a year ago. There are very few phones out now, if any, that can match the reception on this baby.

Ironically, I also just got a Siemens S55 and don't need the R520 anymore. Its a candy bar style phone but has some amazing features and is super super thin. By far the thinnest phone i've ever used, but it is long. Its got a speaker phone, and the whole front LCD screen is the Infared port. Oh anyways, if someone wants to pick up the Ericsson from me, I've only used it for 4 hours and is completely unlocked so you can use it with any GSM carrier, I'd let it go for $60 shipped.

csterns
08-09-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm with Cingular and have a Siemens S56 and could never get a Bluetooth connection using the S56. I spent hours with the Cingular tech who couldn't get it to connect either. What's your secret? Can you share the connection settings? PM if you can. Thanks.

FlyPenFly
08-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Well the connection between the phone and and PDA was the easy part. At least with the 2210 it was easy. I am actually on the Cingular network here in Vegas because that's what Tmobile uses in the west. They ahve netowrk sharing agreements.

iPaqDude
08-09-2003, 09:54 PM
What plan is this with Tmobile that is only $10/mo? I am using their unlimited $19.95/mo plan - wasn't aware that they have a cheaper one.

And I am using my 2215 via BT to my SE T68 - getting great connectivity.

austingeog
08-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Like Csterns I have Cingular. I know you said in Vegas you used cingular but they do not have that particular Ericsson the R520m listed as a phone they sell. But I wonder if I buy it and then pay the activiation fee if it will work with Cingular? Not that you aren't offering a great price but it is much cheaper than other bluetooth phones I have seen. I don't need a camera at all, I just want the bluetooth baby. Especially as Cingular has a $4 a month plan that lets you use your minutes to connect to the Internet. I paid 10/month for unlimited of course. But I have night and weekend minutes up the ying yang so if I can connect during those hours, it would be cool. So I guess the question is, do most cell phones work with the various carriers or do you have to get one of 'their phones'?

Janak Parekh
08-10-2003, 04:42 PM
What plan is this with Tmobile that is only $10/mo? I am using their unlimited $19.95/mo plan - wasn't aware that they have a cheaper one.
It's the WAP-only plan. It's not supposed to work for general GPRS websurfing, although I've heard a few people for which it works. My only guess is that T-Mobile made a mistake in the computer setup, and granted internet2.voicestream.com APN access to WAP-only subscribers.

--janak

Janak Parekh
08-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Like Csterns I have Cingular. I know you said in Vegas you used cingular but they do not have that particular Ericsson the R520m listed as a phone they sell. But I wonder if I buy it and then pay the activiation fee if it will work with Cingular?
If you buy an unlocked version, it should work; and, if you're already a Cingular GSM subscriber, you shouldn't have to pay an activation fee -- all you should have to do is to move the SIM card to the new phone.

Basically, any triband unlocked GSM phone should work with US GSM carriers. This will not always be true in the future, as Cingular and AT&T are introducing a 4th band, so make sure you're in GSM 1900 coverage with Cingular before you pull the trigger.

--janak

austingeog
08-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks Janak that helped a lot. Right now I have a Nokia 3360 that they list as a TDMA phone. But they do have plenty of GSM phones. If I had to pay an activation fee again that would be ok since I don't currently have a GSM phone. I just want to get the connection between my h2210 and a bluetooth phone working. BTW I did do some research on the interneat and the Ericsson phone is a couple of years old as a model which are why there are good prices on it, but it is suppose to be a solid model with good connectivity. I am glad there is a decent phone with bluetooth for under a $100 available. It makes the 'dream' of surfing using my phone much more relalistic. I couldn't justify spending the money for a 3650.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks Janak that helped a lot. Right now I have a Nokia 3360 that they list as a TDMA phone. But they do have plenty of GSM phones.
Ah, I understand. Just a little note of caution: Cingular's GSM coverage is not the same as their TDMA coverage. You must make sure that you're in good GSM 1900 range (and not GSM 850) if you want the R520m to work. If that is the case, you could activate with GSM, pick up a free phone, and swap the SIM card into a new one.

Another alternative would be to cancel your Cingular account and go with another vendor. Amazon sells a number of T-Mobile Bluetooth phones for free with service activation. Again, you must make sure the coverage would work for you.

--janak

austingeog
08-10-2003, 06:55 PM
I am in Austin. I guess no suprise given my login name. Austin is due to get the 'upgrade' to the 1900 GSM coverage in late September. My current model is so old it doesn't even have a SIM card, but they seemed to know what they were talking about in this offical cingluar store near where I live, so they should be able to help me out in late Septemeber with making sure the phone works and all. But thanks at least I knew what questions to ask and now have a time frame. I could cancel and switch plans but cingular works for me and I don't want to take the $150 early cancellation fee.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Yup, TDMA phones didn't have a SIM card. Cingular is slowly converting their national network from TDMA to GSM.

--janak

ryanmjones
08-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Worked for me!

I had the 2mb $2.99 plan, but my last bill was an EXTRA $45 ! ! ! They were happy to take my money and change me to the T-Zones unlimited for $9.99. I am going to try and use up as much of their bandwidth as possible to get my $45 back. :twisted:

eustts
08-15-2003, 04:16 PM
You can just buy a mobile plan in GSM. You walk into the GSM store pick the plan you want and they hand you a SIM card and you walk out. You do not need to purchase a phone from the carrier. Look on the net for great world GSM phone deals. I like www.expansys.com, but there are others... You can get an R520m for about $100 US unlocked. By having the phone unlocked you can go to any GSM carrier and get service. If you buy the phone from the carrier, it is locked to their network. :mrgreen:

ignar
09-06-2003, 03:52 AM
I'm with Cingular and have a Siemens S56 and could never get a Bluetooth connection using the S56. I spent hours with the Cingular tech who couldn't get it to connect either. What's your secret? Can you share the connection settings? PM if you can. Thanks.

I have the same problem. S56, iPAQ 2215, and Cingular. I can use GPRS and CSD on the phone. S56 and 2215 are paired fine and 2215 can access the internet via CSD, too. Only, but big, issue is I can't find a way to make 2215 to access internet via GPRS. Anyone can help?

ignar
09-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Finally made it work this morning. Adding +CGDCONT=1 connect string did the trick. I didn't do that before because my former phone (SE T616) didn't require it and I assumed S56 doesn't either. I was wrong.

Anyhow, I am happy to see it working. But, speed is still slow side. I don't see GPRS much faster than CSD except the initial connection time. I will probably be better off canceling GPRS plan completely and going for CSD only, I guess.