View Full Version : how come it won't work???

le_regisseur
08-09-2003, 05:08 AM
i am quite a newbie to both the ppc world and the video encoding world, so this is probably something stupid. I have a ton of sitcom clips i want to throw on my cf card to watch while im sitting in rehearsal, but they will not play no matter what. They are avis, and i have taken them apart in vdub and put them back together following instructions i found on another site, encoded with mpeg-3 for audio and divx 5.0.5 for video. Now i've gotten past the error message that used to say "invalid file format", and instead i just get a completely blank screen after i open pocketmvp and then open the file. Anyone have any ideas? i really want this to work (seems like a redundant statement, who works on a project they don't want to work?) thanks in advance

nosmohtac
08-09-2003, 05:34 AM
I don't know if it's what your doing. I have done the same thing as you with the same result. I have had a lot of problems with pocket mvp.
I just render the files as mpeg4, and use pocket tv.

Although, I too am quite new to video rendering.

le_regisseur
08-09-2003, 05:38 AM
nosmohtac, how do you render them as mpeg-4, instead? i can't look to see where that option is for me, i'm at the wrong machine

nosmohtac
08-09-2003, 05:48 AM
I'm sorry, I was wrong.
I was making mpeg2 and mpeg1 videos, but I hadn't tried them on the pocket pc yet. I don't think they will work with pockettv.
I was using pinnacle studio8 to do this.
I'm sure someone else with more experience in this area will post soon, with information that is more helpful than what I've offered.
sorry :oops:

Pat Logsdon
08-09-2003, 07:22 AM
You mentioned that you're using divx 5.0.5 - are you using any profiles, or any of the advanced options? What version of Pocket MVP are you running? .8? Something else?

jpjehu
08-09-2003, 07:27 AM
I haven't worked much with avi conversion, but the only time I did it seemed to be a bit more difficult than mpeg. My suggestion is to bag that form and convert your videos to mpeg, and then further to wmv files. They are great in size and play phenomenally on 2003, and fine on 2002 (using a smaller screen size). The pocket tv website has a link to ripping dvds and converting them to mpeg which will help you at any step in the middle. I just follow the instructions for whatever point I'm starting (either from dvd or from excessive quality mpeg). You could also convert them to a smaller screen-sized mpeg, but I've found it to be too cumbersome, less quality, and larger output files than when I used the Windows Media Encoder 9.

le_regisseur
08-09-2003, 03:34 PM
i am not sure if i am using any profiles at all, there are some adjustments i made from the instructions but it doesn't seem like incredibly much (Now click on "video" then click on "compression" Select "Divx 5.0.3 codec"then click "configure" click on the "profiles" tab. Make sure the "1 - Choose your profile" box is NOT checked. (uncheck it if it is checked and a warning box will pop up. Click "ok to dismiss it)

Next click on the "Bitrate Control" Tab. for "Variable Bitrate Mode" Select "Original 2-pass, 1st pass". For "Encoding Bitrate" type "128" into the box next to the bar. Under "Multipass Encoding files" Make sure to select "Write MV file" and "Do not prompt with error and warnings" then click "ok". click "ok" again to get back to virtualdub

Now Select "File" and go to "Save as AVI". enter a filename for your file select where to save it to. then make sure to select the box at the bottom that says "Don't run this job now; add it to job control so I can run it in batch mode". Then click "save". If you did this right, nothing will happen and you return to virtualdub.

Now select "Video" and then click on "compression". Then making sure "Divx 5.0.3 codec" is still selected, click "Configure". For "Variable Bitrate mode" select "Original 2-pass, 2nd pass" from the drop down menu. click "Ok" then "Ok"again to return to virtualdub.) That seemed easier that trying to explain it all. Also, i am running pmvp .8.041303, and general divx .8. So what is the problem?

disconnected
08-09-2003, 06:23 PM
I know not all AVI files are the same, but for the ones that can be played by Windows Media Player on the PC you can use MovieMaker 2 (free on the Microsoft site....not sure if you need XP to use it). Drag your clip onto the main screen, then down to the timeline section, then save movie file to computer, advanced setting -- video for Pocket PC full screen. It's very easy, and the quality seems fine to me.

Talyn
08-10-2003, 07:53 PM
The problem is you're using instructions for 5.0.3. Granted, I really haven't seen a guide written specifically for 5.0.5 but a quick forums search on problems with PocketMVP and DivX 5.0.5 would have gotten plenty of returns.

All you need to do is: when you're in the DivX configuration dialog, flip to one of the other tabs (I'm not at my home pc, so I forget which one) and uncheck B-Frames. It's a new feature to 5.0.5 and PocketMVP does not support it.