View Full Version : Running low on memory

cab124
08-08-2003, 03:13 PM
I am already running very low on built-in memory on my 2215. Does anyone have any pointers for conserving RAM? Do you install applications to a CF card? Can any of the data in RAM be compressed?

128 MB would be great! With all the great software out there, 64 MB just doesn't cut it.

nosmohtac
08-08-2003, 03:30 PM
I install most of my programs on to a storage card.
The speed is a little slower, but you gotta reserve your RAM for running programs.

I would highly recommend getting a 256MB SD card to put most of your programs on. You can pick one up for around $70. You can pick up a 128MB for less, but the 256 is the cheapest MB/dollar.

This way you keep your CF slot open for I/O cards like GPS,WiFi, etc.

Once you figure out the programs that you use all of the time, you can reinstall those back in to RAM to speed them up (try to pick no more than 3 or 4).

cab124
08-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Cool, I wasn't sure how apps would run from a memory card.

I am still trying to decide whether to get an SD memory card, or an SD WiFi card. Also, I hear that there will soon be an SD memory-WiFi combo card. I already have a 128 MB CF card, so I am not sure if I want to toss it in favor of a CF WiFi card. Between the SD and CF slots, I am still not sure which to use for memory and which to use for communication.

tedkyle
08-08-2003, 05:41 PM
SpaceFinder from Tillanosoft at http://www.tillanosoft.com/ce/sfinder.html is useful for tracking down what's eating your memory. And it runs just fine from a memory card.

nosmohtac
08-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Cool, I wasn't sure how apps would run from a memory card.

I am still trying to decide whether to get an SD memory card, or an SD WiFi card. Also, I hear that there will soon be an SD memory-WiFi combo card. I already have a 128 MB CF card, so I am not sure if I want to toss it in favor of a CF WiFi card. Between the SD and CF slots, I am still not sure which to use for memory and which to use for communication.

I was waiting for the same thing, but if you see the picture of the sd/wifi combo, they stick out quite a bit.