View Full Version : BUG - WM2003 - Duplicate or More Shortcuts Appear After Installing

lchungwe
08-08-2003, 01:40 PM
I guess alot of you had this problem on WM 2003?

I had to manually remove those duplicate shortcuts

wallisj
08-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Think i have noticed a few minor little niggles with the OS...i guess its down to some apps not being designed for it and the fact that like all other windows probabily contains several thousand bugs

Hopefully there will be a new fixpack or update of some type to help resolve these minor irritations

Ta
Jamie

aexidic
08-10-2003, 08:14 AM
yup, experienced the same problem...
though in my case I couldn't remove the shortcuts manually...

My 2210 PDA is defective, I'm pretty sure. There's more things wrong with it than I can count on both hands...

But just out of curiosity... How did you go about removing these duplicate shortcuts? (even after I removed the entire program the duplicate remained...) and it realy doesn't let me make any other changes...

CESkins
08-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Think i have noticed a few minor little niggles with the OS...i guess its down to some apps not being designed for it
wallisj I think hit the nail on the head. What I have deduced about the duplicate shortcuts is that the installer for the app was attempting to create 1 shortcut in the Programs folder and a 2nd in the Start menu. For some reason, the 2nd shortcut ends up in the Programs folder with the number 2 appended after it because it is a duplicate. There must either be a bug or change in the way PocPC 2003 handles installing shortcuts to the Start menu. With new or revised installers for the older software, these problems will go away. To remove the duplicates, you have to use a file explorer and navigate to the Start Menu subfolder of the Windows folder on your PDA. Locate the duplcate icon (should be in the prorgrams subfolder) and delete it manually. :)

aexidic
08-10-2003, 06:50 PM
ahhh... I didn't notice that there was a Programs subfolder under the Start Menu subfolder under the Windows folder :P For some reason I only look at whats below the solid line that goes across file explorer :?

Ok, now that I foudn where these things were hiden, I got rid of them.

One note though... OMG do uninstalled programs and games leave lots of garbage behind 8O 8O 8O It's possibly worse than the garbage and reg entries left behind on Windows XP 8O

I was wondering why my PDA had so mcuh less RAM available after I uninstalled EVERYTHING... Damn they leave a lot of trash behind...

I hope... really hope... that this is only because these apps are formatted for PPC 2002... and for soem reason can't uninstall properly...

CESkins
08-10-2003, 07:05 PM
One note though... OMG do uninstalled programs and games leave lots of garbage behind 8O
You will find that uninstalled programs leave a lot more than shortcuts behind. Sometimes they leave folders with files containing user data behind (a good thing if you didn't want that data deleted), others may leave hidden WinCE databases, and almost all apps leave registry entries behind. The registry entries can be a good thing if you are planning on re-installing an update to the software as your registration codes amongst other things are stored there. Thus, you won't have to re-register the app. However if you have no plans on installing the software again, those registry entries can build up over time (especially if you are in the habit of beta testing/trying multiple apps every week). Add that to the recent "duplicate database entry after soft resets" bug recently discovered and your system can eventually slow to a crawl. I would recommend installing an app like Remover, Space Reclaimer, or Spacemaker on your PDA. :)

aexidic
08-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Sometimes they leave folders with files containing user data behind (a good thing if you didn't want that data deleted), others may leave hidden WinCE databases

lol ya I've found those allready, that's why I was surprised... shortcuts get left behind, user data, whole folders with temp files, etc. Quite a bit of junk to clean up...

I dared to hope that registry entires wouldn't be a problem... Guess I forgot that this is a Microsoft OS... :roll:

I'll look into those 3 apps you jotted down, thanks. I'll definetly need to get a registry cleaner... Use one on Windows XP too, so I know how this stuff works ;)